Grade the rookies

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
B for Quinn was up and down for awhile this season.you can see the talent and his elite shot.
Gain 15 pounds in the off-season and he could have a great sophomore season.
C + Peterka a very streaky year some good games and some games you didn't know he was on the ice. Not quite as talented as Quinn but show much poise and promise.
C+ Power ,looked overmatched and tired at times. For a guy his size I would have believed he was stronger on his scates. Gets pushed around in front of his net to often.
I didn't grade the few guys who had a one or two game stint.
next year I believe all 3 make strides and become B+ and B players.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
What Power has done as a child this season is remarkable. He gets a solid B/B+, especially when considering he's had a borderline terrible Joker most of the year. He's not a points guy, but he's solid, smart, and steady. I've never seen a 20 year old blueliner have the confidence to stop skating while holding the puck and survey the landscape. Coupled with general team speed, the pace changes could give opposing teams fits in the near future.

Quinn and JJP are both B-, with Quinn being closer to a flat B. They both need situational improvement (y'all can't all leave the D-zone looking for a breakaway pass at the same time), but their talent, swagger, and potential are all undeniable. I expect big steps from both of them in the next 18 months. If I had to do comparables, Quinn is a bit young Pominville-ish to me, and JJP is Hecht without the two-way game. I have high hopes for their development, and I like the idea of Krebs between them if Cozens has a different role.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Power (A-): Given his age and how he handled the responsibility he was given, I was very impressed. He doesn’t get an A because he never really dominated outside of a few games. However, he looked like belonged most of the year and gave us steady, reliable play despite being paired with the human traffic cone Jokiharju. Name another defenseman his age that had a rookie season this consistent?

Quinn (B): Had some cold streaks but overall got better as the year went on which is all you can ask for. Needs to find more consistency next season. He’s got the tools to be a very special player. Honestly, it’s hard to find a flaw in his game because he plays a very complete brand of hockey for his age.

Peterka (C+): He had some nice moments and overall got better as the year went on, but there were a lot of games he was invisible. Probably should have gotten a few send downs to Rochester but overall he finished the season strong so I’m not really complaining about his season.

Reactions: elchud

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Peterka (C) - average with ups and downs over the course of the season. He's got great speed and can flash some skills. There is work as there often is with rookies on consistency and defensive play. After how he ended the year in Rochester, I expected more and wondered why in the driest of his dry spells they didn't send him down to get some confidence back. Hopefully working through it all matured him going forward. And he's got to get better in his own end.

Quinn (B-) - a bit above average. He too flashed his skills, often a bit more than his usual running mate. He's a bit better defensively than Peterka at this point and his shot combined with his ability to create dangerous lanes for himself to get it off are tantalizing for the future. There is a player there and given his history of having an okay season, then leveling up the next year, there are heightened expectations for next year already.

Power (B+) - I go back and forth on this one between an A- and a B+ because he was so good at transitioning the puck and keeping plays alive, his passing touch, his ability to forecheck a bit as a positionless forward, his ability to get to good shooting areas and get open are all excellent. There are only a few first year defensemen I've ever seen who have that much poise with the puck on their stick. But defensively, he has a long way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad