Grade the Avalanche deadline

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think Boedker has ever been on a line where he is the 3rd best player... with MacK and Landy, he is clearly the 3rd best player on the line. I can see him thriving in a situation like that.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I haven't watched a lot of AZ games since Christmas which is kinda fitting for me as a Boedker homer since that's when he went downhill :laugh: but he was absolutely terrific from October to December. The few games I've seen since Christmas he seemed to sort of go through the motions but at least those motions were still tremendously quick.

I'm glad your back, missed you yesterday when trying to defend the Boedker trade haha. You were probably better off without the stress though, as I'm not nearly as invested in it as you were.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't think Boedker has ever been on a line where he is the 3rd best player... with MacK and Landy, he is clearly the 3rd best player on the line. I can see him thriving in a situation like that.

Boedker has never been on a line (besides when he was a kid) with anybody better than him. Since he's reached this peak age he's always been the best forward on his line.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah I'm not going to completely discount what some AZ fans have said about him, as we've said the same things about Duchene, Landeskog and MacKinnon in certain stretches. They also have no reason to maintain any positive bias towards him after it being clear he wanted out of the organization.

He definitely has an 'Approach with caution' sign around his neck when looking at his whole game.

Ivan, we also should know full well not to trust advanced stats fully on the positive or negative side of things as well. If that's what you mean by following a player.

Edit : I think some of these advanced stats are plus/minus on steroids personally. Useful at a glance, but use caution when evaluating a player with them.

I am really not a guy who takes Corsi and such as gospel. I read through Yotes board, read a lot about the NHL in general and such. Their gripes with Boedker aren't something new. Of course he could just take off playing with better talent here (kind of like Turris or Mueller), I am not dismissing that outright. I just see a streaky player in him, has the talent to be a really good 1st liner, but has had issues putting it all together.

Is he better than the load of rubbish we've been rotating through the top 6? Yes, absolutely. Does he come without warts? No. Is it reasonable to worry about how he'll look given his past performances? I'd say so. But that's just my opinion, so take it for what's it worth.

Last edited:

N Switzerland

Feb 14, 2016
I am really not a guy who takes Corsi and such as gospel. I read through Yotes board, read a lot about the NHL in general and such. Their gripes with Boedker aren't something new. Of course he could just take off playing with better talent here (kind of like Turris or Mueller), I am not dismissing that outright. I just see a streaky player in him, has the talent to be a really good 1st liner, but has had issues putting it all together.

Is he better than the load of rubbish we've been rotating through the top 6? Yes, absolutely. Does he some without warts? No. Is it reasonable to worry about how he'll look given his past performances? I'd say so. But that's just my opinion, so take it for what's it worth.

Agree with this, Boedker is a great player but was thrown into the NHL too early on a poor AZ team and that kind a lowered his ceiling IMO..couple years to develop would have done a player like him a lot of good. Excited to see what he can do when he isn't the best player on his line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I was here all day lol!!!

I don't remember you being around later in the evening when the discussions were more analytical regarding him than overreactions to the trade though haha.

Is he better than the load of rubbish we've been rotating through the top 6? Yes, absolutely. Does he come without warts? No. Is it reasonable to worry about how he'll look given his past performances? I'd say so. But that's just my opinion, so take it for what's it worth.

That's fair, are you ok with the price we paid for him?

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
That's fair, are you ok with the price we paid for him?

Not thrilled, but mostly because I don't think we are in a position to hunt for rentals. I honestly thought someone was going to give up a 1st rounder for Boedker, so he essentially moved for a lesser return than I expected. Of the pieces we moved I like Wood the best, he could be a good player down the road, but is far from a sure thing.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
C-

Going for rentals when you are on pace for 87 points shows a lack of willingness be being honest about where you are as a team. But at least they didn't give up any of the most valuable pieces. It could have been uglier.

Not a fan of Gelinas trade, knowing how quickly Roy get bored with defenders.

Pretty much this

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Maybe we should actually Watch the kid play before we say what he is or is not. As far as the eye test goes, boeds looks like a great pickup. He's faster than hell and does a ton of the small things right.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not thrilled, but mostly because I don't think we are in a position to hunt for rentals. I honestly thought someone was going to give up a 1st rounder for Boedker, so he essentially moved for a lesser return than I expected. Of the pieces we moved I like Wood the best, he could be a good player down the road, but is far from a sure thing.

Yeah I never wanted him because I thought the price would be much higher than what we paid, I also never thought we'd move Tanguay at the deadline. I too thought he would cost a 1st rounder, maybe even more than some of the other guys because of his age.

So for me, Tanguay being pried from Roy's hands and combined with the price we paid. I like it.

But I'm also one of the ones who believes just simply making the playoffs and being out in the first round is extremely valuable as well.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
C+/B- for me. Solid moves, didn't give up too much, just don't know if it was the right year to make moves. I would have been fine calling up Rantanen instead, even if it meant missing the playoffs, and saving some of these moves for next season when they might have been a little more appropriate.

So I like the moves themselves, I don't necessarily think it was the right time to make them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad