Grade Peter Chiarelli as a GM

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickM32

Disclaimer: I am in favor of PC staying out of the free agent frenzy so to speak. Teams are not built via FA, and name me a really good signing since Chara in the NHL, you can't. That being said, I am curious as to how most of my fellow B's fans feel about him.

For me, I think he is shrewd in terms of re-signing FA's and not getting sucked into bad contracts. As much as we all ***** about Kelly's deal, the reality is it isn't that bad.

My beef comes with PC comes with the trade deadline and the Seguin trade.

Last year, knowing we would be F'd with cap bonus carry overs, he did SQUAT at the deadline. Prices were not high, and a Vanek or Gaborik could have made the difference, esp. considering the injury to Kelly, which meant Jordan bleeping Caron was playing. Again, I feel PC tends to be too conservative at the deadline for years. Even when he acquired Kelly and Pevs when we won the cup, Wheeler was the better player statistically in the deal.

In terms of the Seguin deal, Eriksson was the main piece, and this is a guy we consider a 3rd liner on our team. I like Smith, but who in the hell knew who he was before the trade? Point is, Eriksson was the focal point, and when you're trading a 2nd overall pick who had numbers, you need to get a top piece back and he didn't. Now I hope Eriksson returns to 70 pt form, but who knows.

The same goes for the Kessel deal, he said he had an idea of where the picks would be, mid teens, but he got lucky. But we traded for Kaberle (1st, 2nd, Colborne (former first)) what we would have gotten for Kessel. And Kessel wasn't a soon to be UFA was who past his prime. Just saying....

Granted, grass is always greener on the other side, and I don't want to the guy who says a bounce one way and an epic comeback short we are the San Jose Sharks, but I for once would like to see us get the best player in the deal and be more aggressive at the deadline.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
A+

theres maybe 2 other teams in the nhl that have had as much success as we've had during the chiarelli years... and we were in pretty sucky shape when he took over following the crash and burn of the whole occonnell/thornton mess

not all credit goes to him alone... the whole management team has been nothing but high class since taking over. our team was notorious for not spending money before they took over and now the biggest complaint we have is that they spent too much trying to take us to the finals last year for the third time in four seasons...

some fans here need a grading I think... and I sure wouldn't mind firing a few of them too if it was permitted.

as for chiarelli... he isn't perfect but he is top 3 best job done in these past 6-7 years which is top 90% which is an A+ grade from me

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Hard to say, this year he really put the team into a bind. Granted he 'went for it' but that's only a good move if you achieve your goal, which the Bruins didn't. The more 2011 fades into history his stock will continue to fall. Right now he's a great general manager, but a few years ago there was an argument for being the best one in the NHL.

ClaudeForPresident

May 29, 2014
A+

He's the reason (along Julien and many things of course) why Bruins are real contender and one of the best teams in the whole league. I really like that he doesn't make panic moves and he's not afraid to make hard moves either.

You can't please everyone and there's always somebody who's gonna ***** about trading of their favorite players. None of the Chiarellis moves has been plainly bad even if some Seguin fanboys like to exaggerate. Chiarelli has always been true to the ideal of Bruins Hockey and has made the team very successful with that concept.

If someone says Chiarelli is bad GM they are out of their minds or they have really bad memory. Just look at the Bruins now and before Chiarelli.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
A

He came in with a plan, got the right coach, and successfully built a consistant Cup contender.

Pretty much everything he said he was going to do.

He's human. He's made some calls that didn't work. That's natural.

He's been right enough to build a franchise with a real chance every year. Before Chia, that was the dream.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
A+

He's made like one bad move in his entire tenure and that was Kelly's contract. That's the only one that's actually had anything more than a minimal impact. Let's look at the positives:

- 7 straight playoff appearances.

- 4 division titles

- 2 Eastern conference championships

- Stanley Cup champion in 2011

- President's Trophy winner in 2014

- Hired Claude Julien

- Brought in Dennis Seidenberg for peanuts and locked him up to a team friendly extension

- Was the guy to bring in Chara and Savard. Both of which were elite players (though one tenure was sadly cut short.)

-Signed Bergeron to a really good market value deal.

This list goes on. He had the jewels to trade two really good young players in Kessel (paid off) and Seguin. Obviously the opinion is mixed on Seguin's deal but he did what he thought was best for the team.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
A+
He brought in Chara. Started the base of a winning franchise. PC always surprises and always does what's best for the team. I don't agree with everything he does, but overall I'd still say nobody in the game is better than him today.

Look at that Rask/Raycroft deal? Incredible.
Listen, as everybody knows here, I personally think his one mistake was the Seguin deal. He lost. 100%. He knows it, so he'll do something about it. Faith in the GM is where everything starts.

Wouldn't be shocked if we see some fireworks this offseason. Maybe not fireworks, but definitely some surprises. Should be interesting.

He built this team from the ground up. Love this guy.

peter-chiarelli.jpg

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
B+.He doesn't get an A from me because he failed to recognize the huge difference between the regular season and the playoffs in regards to having a backiline that is solid.When Seids went down he should have looked for a replacement,he was seduced by the meaningless regular season success.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
If and when he gets fired, leaves for another team, or drives off into the sunset, I cringe at whom just might step in and gawd forbid potentially destroy what has been created by Chia and Co.

He`s surrounded himself with good hockey people, so much so, there have been a few whom have left after being courted by other teams

He`s made mistakes, show me a GM who hasn`t.

Some posters here are far too young to remember just how irrlevant this franchise had become before his arrival.

At that time, the organization had to grossly overpay for mediocre talent, now, it appears players welcome the opportunity to jump on board.

I look at the lineup as it was during year one and shake my head and laugh/cry

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000322008.html

A- for me

Rebel Bruin

Jan 7, 2014
Dublin
A+

Top GM. Brought the B's from an also ran team to perennial cup contenders.

Makes really tough decisions which he believes will better the team long-term.

Quite adept at finding value on the trade market.

Doesn't make silly, panic free agency signings.

SoldiersOfFilth

Hamildone with Neely
Dec 28, 2013
Near Olympia
I feel I'm the only one who doesn't think we lost the Seguin trade. He wasn't producing here and was having trouble behaving himself. No, we don't have a 40 goal scorer on our team, but we do have:

Eriksson: a (potential) 1st liner that is set up for a comeback season
Smith: a talented young 2nd liner
Fraser: a winger that will most likely be playing on the 3rd line with the Yeti
Morrow: a very talented young defenseman that might be our 7th D this season.

Not too bad, if I say so myself.

The Special K

Hoss MOFO, Hoss.
Sep 26, 2008
Canal Winchester, OH
it seems like every year we have these discussions about how PC screwed the pooch. Yet every year we are a cup contender. PC is easily top 5 GM's in the league. This season he got a bit hosed by the low cap, it happens.
I for one hope he stays the hell out of the FA market and lets some of our youth establish themselves. We need that. Besides....it's friggin crazy out there. Engelland is now somehow worth 3 mill per?!?!
No thanks to that! I would much prefer seeing guys like Spoons, Koko and Florek get a serious look to see if they have a future with us.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
A+ from me

Not only did he build a Cup winner, he maintained a Cup contender just like he said he would. He doesn't win every deal and he's not perfect but he has a great handle on the team's big picture, strengths, weaknesses and capology of today and tomorrow.

He keeps kids on the farm and makes them earn a spot unlike his predecessor. He has turned the culture around here 100% just as he said he would in his opening press conference. Lombardi is the only other GM that gets an A+ from me in the last 5 or 6 years.

hemispheres

Mar 13, 2013
boston,ma.
A

He came in with a plan, got the right coach, and successfully built a consistant Cup contender.

Pretty much everything he said he was going to do.

He's human. He's made some calls that didn't work. That's natural.

He's been right enough to build a franchise with a real chance every year. Before Chia, that was the dream.

C+
Didn't he come in with Dave Lewis then lucked out getting Julien whom most fans before the Stanley cup wanted fired. He still is a good GM, but most of his best moves were in the beginning of his time here.
I believed this team was going to be Elite for about 8 or so years,but they are dwindling fast.
I still believe he can right the ship as long as he does make a few tuff decisions(Marchand,Errickson) we really only need about two top line forwards,not middle of the road two way players.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
To these eyes, Chiarelli is in the top 5 of the best GM in this league. A patient and very astute GM. He's not afraid to hire quality people to surround him. While he has a tendancy to overrate some of his players, he was absolutely correct when he identified Bergeron,Chara and Rask as it's cornerstones. He was also " spot on " when he traded Kessel and then Seguin to make the Bruins a more "complete" team. On these two trades, he got the best value he could in the circonstances. But to me, and it's probably because i'm an "old" fan, the biggest benefit is the completely change of the hockey philosophy/approach regading players. He succesfully put the Jacobs away from the Media and by doing so, avoid the stupid/irrevelent/clown arses comments who could have been made by the Marx brother Duo. The organisation finally showed loyalty where loyalty was due (Bergeron case in point); something who could have been unthinkable under the old regime ( Ray Bourque arbitration, anyone). By making Boston a perrenial contender, he made the city a very desirable place to play in.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
A. The Bruins have been one of the most successful teams in the league since he began here.

It's funny, I've read all year long that he sucks at drafting, signing and trading. It's pretty impressive that he's been able to ice a contender every year in spite of the fact that he apparently is terrible at every tool a GM can use to build a team.

I think a lot of people here don't like him because he rarely makes any huge moves (whether it's a trade or free agent signing). I happen to think that's the right way to do it, because the prices are generally ridiculous.

To this point, the Bruins have been contenders to come out of the East for a while now. They'll be there again this year. I don't see how anyone could say he's a bad GM at this point.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Not enough neanderthals like Hunter Smith and John Scott on this team, grade F ...

He's done well A-

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I feel I'm the only one who doesn't think we lost the Seguin trade. He wasn't producing here and was having trouble behaving himself. No, we don't have a 40 goal scorer on our team, but we do have:

Eriksson: a (potential) 1st liner that is set up for a comeback season
Smith: a talented young 2nd liner
Fraser: a winger that will most likely be playing on the 3rd line with the Yeti
Morrow: a very talented young defenseman that might be our 7th D this season.

Not too bad, if I say so myself.

He didn't lose that trade,he got 30 goals back from 2 players who should hit for 45 in their second years and who fit. He got rid of 3 square pegs in Wheeler,Seguin and Kessel and won 1 Cup,knocked on the door of another and is the favorite to win yet another. Eriksson and Smith may not outperform Seguin on the stat sheet which will have the less knowledgeable crowd crying in their Fruit Loops,but they will better help this team succeed at both ends of the ice in a hockey game when it matters. Chiarelli gets an A as the Bruins won 1 cup,lost another due to the biggest factor-injuries (and future NHL stat star Seguin disappearing) and then a team that simply had a historically bad spell of missed open nets and clanging posts. He has provided the right players for this team.

Dr Seldon

Mar 11, 2003
Stockholm, Sweden
Excellent.

Won one Stanley Cup, and the team has consistently been one of the top teams. You can't demand much more than that.

Yes, not all moves have worked out, and yes, they are working very close to the cap. But they will put a competitive team on the ice next year, and I can't see why they shouldn't be able to do that in the coming years as well.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Overall, I'm pleased. But let's not kid ourselves - many of the decisions we're looking at in this evaluation, come from a stem of individuals in pro and amateur scouting.

Speaking of scouting, I think the cupboards are a bit bare right now and that overall drafting could be better.

Not addressing the Dennis Siedenberg injury with a replacement, to me, is another big hit and cost us another deep run this year.

The organization is in better shape now than when he started (but Scott Gordon had done a decent job, IMO, in his short interim time) and the org is better than it has been for a long time. When you can expect your team to be in the playoffs every year, that's a good thing.

I know I should be happy, I saw a Cup, I should shut the hell up - but we aren't a flawless organization by any stretch. Plenty of improvements to be made.

B

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
B-/B.

The drafting under his watch has been mediocre (aside from the obvious picks: Seguin and Hamilton...the jury is still out on the guys from 2011-2013, obviously), and as a result, he's been guilty of falling in love with role players and overpaying them, and he's been far too complacent at multiple trade deadlines/Offseasons.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
Overall, I'm pleased. But let's not kid ourselves - many of the decisions we're looking at in this evaluation, come from a stem of individuals in pro and amateur scouting.

Speaking of scouting, I think the cupboards are a bit bare right now and that overall drafting could be better.

Not addressing the Dennis Siedenberg injury with a replacement, to me, is another big hit and cost us another deep run this year.

The organization is in better shape now than when he started (but Scott Gordon had done a decent job, IMO, in his short interim time) and the org is better than it has been for a long time. When you can expect your team to be in the playoffs every year, that's a good thing.

I know I should be happy, I saw a Cup, I should shut the hell up - but we aren't a flawless organization by any stretch. Plenty of improvements to be made.

B
One issue is the type of player drafted by an organization that likes 2 way responsibility.some physicality and size. Knowing that going in,why would they draft Seguin and Kessel based solely on goalscoring potential? Some players can adapt and change,but most are what they are in terms of effort and style. Best player available doesn't always fit.

Scotto74

taking a break
Oct 7, 2005
Kingston, MA
A+

theres maybe 2 other teams in the nhl that have had as much success as we've had during the chiarelli years... and we were in pretty sucky shape when he took over following the crash and burn of the whole occonnell/thornton mess

not all credit goes to him alone... the whole management team has been nothing but high class since taking over. our team was notorious for not spending money before they took over and now the biggest complaint we have is that they spent too much trying to take us to the finals last year for the third time in four seasons...

some fans here need a grading I think... and I sure wouldn't mind firing a few of them too if it was permitted.

as for chiarelli... he isn't perfect but he is top 3 best job done in these past 6-7 years which is top 90% which is an A+ grade from me

This ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad