Grabner vs Tlusty

leafaholix*

- Markus Naslund compared Grabner to Havlat.
- Pavel Kubina compared Tlusty to Elias.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I've never seen him play before but it's really encouraging that you say he plays with zeal at both ends and without the puck. Would a comparizon to sat Perezhogin be accurate (only maybe slightly higher offensively skilled with less defensive abilities)?
I don't really know how highly I'd tout Perezhogin's defensive abilities, mind you, but (just from watching Grabner on TV) I'd say he has a willingness and certainly the speed to play a useful defensive game, and as long as he remembers to do it, he can actually do it surprisingly well. I'm not as convinced that he always remembers to do it as maybe others are, but then, I've only seen him on TV, so it's not an opinion that's worth very much.

Tlusty on the other hand... he is looking more and more like exactly the kind of player everybody's "cautious-yet-optimistically-excited" pre-draft ideas were leaning towards. Again, I'm sure that the real observers like steblick and others had plenty of ammunition for their positive opinions on him heading into the draft, but those of us who were confined to just a few TV tourney games liked what we saw but weren't sure if it was for real or not, given the limitations of our viewing opportunities. Now seeing him half a dozen more times... all of my caution is out the window, he's every bit as good as it looked like he might be. Those pegging him as a top-10 candidate were on the money IMHO, and I think the Leafs are going to be happy with him, regardless of how any players drafted behind him (like Grabner) pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad