Grabner Has Been Lights Out

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He has a knack for knocking pucks up the ice and using his speed to create scoring chances. I would like to see him use some of that muscle he has to be a bit more gritty. He's a pretty soft player for all that muscle.

Reactions: SR and mrjiggyfly

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012

mrjiggyfly

Jun 1, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
He has a knack for knocking pucks up the ice and using his speed to create scoring chances. I would like to see him use some of that muscle he has to be a bit more gritty. He's a pretty soft player for all that muscle.
100% correct. He would never be a healthy scratch if:
A. He won more than 25% of every seemingly 50-50 puck battle
B. He threw a meaningful check occasionally
C. The game was played on Olympic size sheet of ice .

That being said, he's still effective with speed, anticipation. When he's on, he makes plays and creates chances for himself that others can't. Hopefully he stays hot vs Avs

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Exactly how RT sees him.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Grabner's value is as a disruptor. His acceleration and anticipation are elite. It makes him very disruptive, and sometimes dangerous on the counter-attack.
Never understood the extended benching even if he's very hot-cold on offense.
He's a 20 goal scorer, but he's not a scoring winger. That's why I always laughed when we picked him up and people were making lines trying to get him a playmaker. That's not his game. He's a defensive player that breaks up plays. Sometimes he can turn that into offense with his skating and acceleration. That is, or should be, his role, and he's pretty darn good at it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Grabner's value is as a disruptor. His acceleration and anticipation are elite. It makes him very disruptive, and sometimes dangerous on the counter-attack.
He's a 20 goal scorer, but he's not a scoring winger. That's why I always laughed when we picked him up and people were making lines trying to get him a playmaker. That's not his game. He's a defensive player that breaks up plays. Sometimes he can turn that into offense with his skating and acceleration. That is, or should be, his role, and he's pretty darn good at it.

I wanna say he’s a Korpikoski, but better in a number of ways. As in he can actually score on breakaways.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Grabner is good on a 4th line that is not expected to generate any sort of regular attack or physical pressure. He is a net negative anywhere else.

Reactions: slovakia18

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
RT was saying that Grabner was not sure he was going to take the trip to Edmonton, and said he is basically playing with one eye. Grabner was thinking of the team more than himself.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I wanna say he’s a Korpikoski, but better in a number of ways. As in he can actually score on breakaways.
He use to, but this year he couldn't and that is why he sat. I still would have played him, and hopefully with him doing well at the moment, he regains his confidence. Really pulling for a guy like that after the devastating injury.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Grabner is such a favourite. I wonder if he tried slowing down just a little more than usual with his shortie in that series? Did he finally find out how to increase the shooting percentage there? Ok, I might have made this up in my head.

Very sad thing this injury. Is it possible to let him be on LTIR next year, if he is contemplating to retire entirely due to it? I mean, it would make sense: he just cannot afford to risk his remaining eye. And to retire would make him lose 3.35 mill. Even after an absurd escrow, and tax, that would mean he would lose out on a 7-digit number due to an injury. That is not fair, is it.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The fact Tocc didn't seem willing to use him, probably had more to do with it than the injury, imo

Last edited:
Reactions: Grimes

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Grabner is good on a 4th line that is not expected to generate any sort of regular attack or physical pressure. He is a net negative anywhere else.

He is excellent on the PK too. After scoring on the PK game one he absolutely rattled Nashville. It seemed like when he was on the ice during the PK Nashville looked they were nervous and overthought plays. Their confidence visibly went down.

slovakia18

English? I can't.
Jan 7, 2012
austria/swiss
With out question , he is one of the best Pk Player the last 10 years. Not because he has the second most Goals on PK , all actives include, he knows how to play in the zone, that is like elite Pk game.
5vs5 he is not more than 3rd or 4th line player, but it is the NHL , so it is ok i think. Hope Arizona keep him one year more, they have a team arround to win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad