Gost's next contract?

Banger

Jan 17, 2003
Visit site
rumor is that Nikita Zaitsev is closing in on a deal for 7 years at around $4.5/year...he's 25 and in 76 games he's scored 4 goals 30 assists (34 pts) and is a -21...

contrast that with Gost who's 23, played 71 games, 7 goals, 28 assists (35 pts) and is a -21....nearly identical...do the Flyers use Toronto's lead on this and offer Gost the same deal? Does Gost take it?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'd be comfortable with that deal. It would likely end up being a bargain.

If we go the bridge contract route and give him say, 2 years, $3.5 million, we are probably going to be paying him $5.5-6 million on his next contract; should his recent play be an indication that last year is the norm and not the exception.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I easily sign him to that deal.

That wold lock him up for his 24-30 year old seasons, becoming a UFA at age 31. Let someone else sign him for bigger money for his 30 year old seasons where more injuries and declines happen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I expect Ghost to bounce back offensively, but he'll always be limited defensively, he's never going to be able to play like Kimmo (who was far more polished and more stout).

If I gave him a long-term deal, I'd want it structured to make it easy to trade him in 2-3 years if Sanheim is the real thing - between the two I'll keep the 6'4 210+ D-man with similar skills.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I expect Ghost to bounce back offensively, but he'll always be limited defensively, he's never going to be able to play like Kimmo (who was far more polished and more stout).

If I gave him a long-term deal, I'd want it structured to make it easy to trade him in 2-3 years if Sanheim is the real thing - between the two I'll keep the 6'4 210+ D-man with similar skills.

Didnt realize 23 year olds were finished products. News to me.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Didnt realize 23 year olds were finished products. News to me.

He isn't finished but its starting to be clear that physical limitations will hinder him a bit at the NHL level. He is what he is. A dynamic offensive defenseman. His defense isn't terrible by any means but its inconsistent. He has to beat players defensively by his stick and anticipation. Ghost hasn't done this consistently to be considered a good defensive player. It doesn't really matter because that will not be his role on any team he plays on and it shouldn't be.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
He isn't finished but its starting to be clear that physical limitations will hinder him a bit at the NHL level. He is what he is. A dynamic offensive defenseman. His defense isn't terrible by any means but its inconsistent. He has to beat players defensively by his stick and anticipation. Ghost hasn't done this consistently to be considered a good defensive player. It doesn't really matter because that will not be his role on any team he plays on and it shouldn't be.

But hes still young enough to learn to pisition himself better defensively to make up for his size and strength,like kimmo did

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At the same age Kimmo was a polished defensive player who was developing his offensive skills. Kimmo was also built much stouter and had better leverage, people tend to confuse short with small.

Ghost turned 24 this month, there limited physical growth potential, and most players peak around age 26. So what you see is probably close to what you get in terms of size and skills, his growth from now on will probably be in terms of a better understanding of the pro game.

Ghost will be a solid offensive player for 5-6 more years, but given his size, I'd be wary of extending him past 30 (he'll struggle to compensate as he slows down due to his size).

Problem for the Flyers is if Morin, Sanheim and Myers all pan out, along with Provorov, it's going to be hard to pay 5 D-men top money. So once they know what they have, I see one of the group being traded for forward quality (you pay your top 4 defensemen real money).

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
The problem with comparing Ghost to Zaitsev, is Ghost has a monster rookie season on his resume. If you can sign him long term to a deal under 5, I'd do it, but the more UFA years you buyout, the more expense the contract gets.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
He isn't a finished product, but he is what he is. He's not done developing, but he won't get any better. He still has potential, but he has reached his ceiling.

Am i missing any more ways to contradict myself?

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
He isn't a finished product, but he is what he is. He's not done developing, but he won't get any better. He still has potential, but he has reached his ceiling.

Am i missing any more ways to contradict myself?

More paragraphs pls

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Timonen was an NHL rookie at the same age that Ghost is now and he was always an offensive defenseman.

If you could sign Ghost to $5M or less for long term, you do it immediately. I don't know why he'd do it though, as he's a more valuable player to me than Shattenkirk and Shattenkirk is going to get paid way more than that.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Klingberg is probably still the best reference. I'd really like to see a long term deal get worked out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad