Celebrity Death: Gordon Lightfoot

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
Damn. No bueno. Just watched a documentary on him a few months back. Talented dude for sure.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
RIP, he had a stomach issue like 20 years ago and almost died, looked like he was on deaths door the next 20 years but made it a long time.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Very sad news. Gord was a beloved national treasure up here in Canada.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
When I heard he had cancelled his annual spring Massey Hall concerts, I thought something might be wrong. But I still wasn't expecting this news. He remains one of the absolute pillars in Canadian music history, a giant. Thousands of Canadians will be saddened to hear of his death.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Sad to hear this. The Grateful Dead actually did a nice recording of "Early Morning Rain" for a demo tape they made when they were starting out.

Lehnerd Skinnerd

Sponsor
Feb 10, 2008
Thunder Bay, ON
Legend indeed. Great songwriter, I always loved The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald. He wrote some other great classics as well. He must have really loved his craft to still be playing shows at his age. RIP 😢

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
A couple of weeks ago Gordon cancelled his entire 2023 tour and announced that there were no plans to reschedule the cancelled dates. I knew what that likely meant for a man of Gordon's age, but I didn't want to believe it.

The Summer Side of Life was playing on a cassette deck in the backyard of a house in Coquitlam BC on a windy and warm summer evening the first time I ever kissed a girl, or more accurately, was kissed by a girl. She took me totally by surprise, and I fumbled around like the clumsy moron on the cusp of puberty that I was. I remember exactly where we were and I can still see Kerry's face in front of me. I remember the gentle, warm wind on my face, and I remember how our eyes met, locked in an embrace like that of which our bodies never would. It remains one of the most vivid and precious memories of my youth and Gordon Lightfoot provided the soundtrack.

Rest in peace, Gordon Lightfoot. 1938-2023.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
He said the best song he ever wrote was If you could read my mind , love that tune. Timeless. Canada`s bard. Sad to hear.
It really is a beautiful song. I've played it on guitar more times than I can count. I regret never seeing Lightfoot perform. RIP.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad