Pre-Game Talk: Goose egg revenge - Edm v StL - Wed @ 6 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Blues are an annoying team like CGY. Seems they are designed to score first and then choke you out slowly. CGY always seems to have this knack of getting a greasy lead and then castling up and scoring more off of mistakes, to the tune of the game being 3/4-1 and basically over even with 40 minutes left.

If you can score first against these guys you force them to play wild hockey and we saw that last year with both teams. We beat STL twice last year - in the last one the 1st period was 4-1 for EDM (we scored first). Game ended 6-5. The first one, they scored first but we answered right before the period ended and then scored immediately to start the second. Game ended 5-4. Big part of the playoffs last year CGY couldn't hold leads long enough against us to get comfortable and start the shutdown game, or just outright were chasing and then it was wide open.

I know it's captain obvious that you lose more often then not when giving up the first goal, but some teams just seem much better at locking down than others. CGY and STL are two teams I've noticed that seem like Jekyll and Hyde when leading vs when trailing. I can't think of two other teams that can go from looking like DPE NJ puck possession with a lead, to 8-7 barn burners when they need to score.
Well said. I agree with all points. Blues system hasn’t changed. They survive off very good defense and usually solid goaltending. Most of last year Husso was brilliant for them and then Binnington was excellent in the playoffs. They do a similar trap style game but not as boring. Generally score first and it’s slow hockey the rest of the way. It’s so important to score first on them to change their style a bit

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Well said. I agree with all points. Blues system hasn’t changed. They survive off very good defense and usually solid goaltending. Most of last year Husso was brilliant for them and then Binnington was excellent in the playoffs. They do a similar trap style game but not as boring. Generally score first and it’s slow hockey the rest of the way. It’s so important to score first on them to change their style a bit
100% and that's the part that worries me since the first 10 minutes of the game is always Mad Max's Nightrider in our D zone.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yep, Colorado with Francouz on the 2nd of a BTB (3-2 CGY), Pittsburgh with DeSmith the night after playing the Oilers (4-1 CGY), and with Carolina they also got Raanta instead of Andersen (3-2 CGY in OT).

The Flames have also had 6:05 in PP time per game (3.83 PPs/GP) as compared to 4:11 for the Oilers (3.33 PPs/GP), which is third last in the league. Coincidentally, the two teams below the Oilers in that regard are their next two opponents, St. Louis (3.50) and Chicago (3.47)

Considering all of the Oilers' games have been one goal games, if they had faced any backups or gotten more powerplay time then perhaps their record might be 5-1 like the Flames. Of course, putting in a full 60 minutes, not spotting the opposition a lead, and not allowing a PP goal every game would help too, as @5 Mins 4 Ftg mentioned.

Hopefully last game helped them find their rhythm and they can carry that into this road trip. I think going on the road and not having last change might actually help the team as they'll need to get to work and play more of a road style game, and players will have to up their game when they've got a tough line matchup.

Some RWs on the team, not naming any names, may need to put their big boy pants on and do something productive in the slot too, especially on the road considering last year's numbers. All other contributions aside, 17 road goals combined on the season between your top 3 RWs doesn't cut it.

We all know that no one needs to be named since none of them have been particularly good :laugh:

Great post, agreed 100%

Reactions: Delicious Pancakes

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Shut down and shut out by the Blues last game, the Oilers will need to play a full 60 with far more desire, passion and drive in order to score at least 1 goal.

Perhaps the first roadie of the year will get them going early and scoring often. Blues have an excellent defensive team but as we showed vs the Penguins, we had a lot more to give too.

Systems wise the long pass and chip did not work in periods 1 & 2 vs the Blues last week. Woody needs to break down the StL D with speed and the players need to execute the breakout much better.

I think we have a successful roadie here getting all 6 points of a possible 6.

Forever the optimist.
I'm calling for an Oiler win here. Blues have been outplayed in nearly all their games so far, and while hanging on defensively, have done squat the other way. There are plenty of holes and red flags there. And with the way we ramped it up against the Pens last game (especially the 2nd period), shows we have lots more to give, as our captain said.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This building has been a nightmare for them historically, right up there with Dallas and Minny, so I'm not expecting much tonight. I'd be really impressed if they can win this one.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Blues are a well coached team. They stick to their system, they stay disciplined. They took two games from the Avs cause of this. If they play their A game it’s tough sledding for the Oilers unless they make mistakes, last games they made none. Last game we also had no answer to break through their system and lack of PPs. Either they make some mistakes tonight and we take advantage or Woody comes up with a new game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad