Post-Game Talk: Goodnight, Joe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like that Sheahan got that monkey off his back before the season ended. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he's better than he's produced this year, and has had more than his share of just god awful luck. If he doesn't score today, his scoreless streak would be the only story following him around through camp and all next year until he potted one.

Also, good that Z's 1000th game was the last game at the Joe. And he scored.

Been a rough calendar year. Datsyuk retires,Mr. Hockey passes, Mr. I passes, streak dies, Joe closes... We need a lottery win. Give us some luck, hockey gods.

Losing Mr. I is the one that has bothered me the most, especially with how his teams played. Hope the Wings can have a good year in the new barn, draft pick be damned.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
that was a nice

pretty interesting that holland wasn't really acknowledged at all. maybe the illilitches know that majority of fan base isn't happy with him right now

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The entire post game event and ceremony was fantastic. All sorts of good memories and players to reflect on. The funniest comment (that I had no idea about) was when Scotty Bowman started talking about the great continuity of talented players, and how Detroit went from a superb net-front presence in Dino Ciccarelli, to the great career of Tomas Holmstrom. However, the hype train didn't exactly start out at full speed:

Homer was drafted in 1994, but shortly after joining the team, was upset about the jersey number he had been assigned. He spoke with Bowman, and was requesting a very high number, which Bowman didn't want to dispense. Homer was insisting that he wear number 98, and finally Scotty told him:

"I won't give you 98, but I'll give you 96...because that's the year you're going back home (to Sweden)."

Hahaha...originally, the coach thought that Homer was a one-and-done player. Funny stuff.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Very nice ceremony to watch. It almost felt like a 5th Stanley Cup of this era. Also nice to see Yzerman being so happy. He has been so serious looking for years. I think last time I saw Yzerman as happy was at 2002.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I vaguely recall someone here saying they were going to steal one of the seats.

Please update.

Our boy Jaster. I also want to hear how this went.

I like that Sheahan got that monkey off his back before the season ended. I'm not a big fan of the guy, but he's better than he's produced this year, and has had more than his share of just god awful luck. If he doesn't score today, his scoreless streak would be the only story following him around through camp and all next year until he potted one.

No kidding. He didn't need that following him around, yikes. From a practical standpoint, the guy already basically set a record for not scoring after a billion minutes and shots. It wasn't a full calendar season, by 1 damn game, but for all purposes he was the most snake bit player in modern NHL history. That's punishment enough and it was comical enough. Didn't need the extra baggage carried with him.

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
I didn't realize until I read these posts that Holland wasn't mentioned, coincidence? Hopefully.

Also, Probie's wife dumped his ashes in the penalty box and took pictures with Kocur, I thought that was pretty cool.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
The girlfriend and I are currently making our 6.5 hour drive home from Detroit, and we both have to get ready for work a couple hours after getting home, but it's absolutely worth it to be a part of this amazing weekend. Can't express everything I'm feeling now. Now, let's win that draft lottery!

Kyleftlx

twitter*****/kyle_ftl
May 9, 2010
Michigan!
It's finally setting in that the Red Wings won't be in the playoffs in 2017. What a bummer, man. I will forever love Henrik Zetterberg. He deserved so much better than to be the captain to break the streak. What an amazing player and leader.

That ceremony was amazing. I hope Yzerman comes back soon, but I will give it to Kenny - he has done so much for this franchise for such a long time now. Even if I disagree with a lot of the moves he has made in the past decade, he is a legend and I'm thankful for the streak he helped build and maintain for such a long time.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I vaguely recall someone here saying they were going to steal one of the seats.

Please update.

Wonder if they'll sell any of the seats off like other arenas did? Had a coworker in Montreal that proudly displayed a four seat section in his office from the Montreal Forum.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yzerman kept talking like he's still a member of the Red Wings. His interviews were interesting.

He practically grew up here. From the age of 18 until his 40s he was a part of the red wings. I'm sure no matter what he'll always feel like he's a wing as he should. Hopefully some day he'll return where he belongs.

Top Shelfer

Bingo Bango!
Dec 22, 2008
The Motor City
Seeing The 80s tough guys back was cool. DMac and Dino and of course Homer too. These are players that played tough not like the marshmallow 206-17 Red Wings who either were coached not to forecheck and just were to soft. Holland has been rostering MOD for to long.
It was a sad time when The Olympia was closed and demolished but at least The Joe had a ceremony on it's last home game.
These old building develop a character and mystique a new arena will take many seasons to attain.
Will opposing teams fear playing in a teams arena named after a cheap pie? The Olympia and The Joe names demand respect.

Last edited by a moderator:

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Stevie was awfully cheery. I find it funny and odd at the same time Holland wasn't acknowledged too; possibly Chances14 is right and the org knows we're not a super duper satisfied bunch right now with him.

Pure speculation, but I do wonder if the Ilitch Family has plans for Stevie after his contract ends in TB. It's not too far gone to imagine him as GM in a couple years.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Yzerman kept talking like he's still a member of the Red Wings. His interviews were interesting.

Guy played 23 years in that building. And they weren't wasted. He won alot of hardware. Why wouldn't he?

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Oh and **** Buffalo. Losers couldn't even win their last home game. Now we're down to 6th.

takimaki

Apr 14, 2010
Tim Hortons
Stevie was awfully cheery. I find it funny and odd at the same time Holland wasn't acknowledged too; possibly Chances14 is right and the org knows we're not a super duper satisfied bunch right now with him.

Pure speculation, but I do wonder if the Ilitch Family has plans for Stevie after his contract ends in TB. It's not too far gone to imagine him as GM in a couple years.

No, it's not a stretch of the imagination at all. The Ilitch family knows Steve belongs in Detroit, and Stevie Y has even hedged his bets and never sold his home in the area. He has been very receptive to participating in special Wings events, alumni game, etc even while working with Tampa Bay.

I'll be surprised if it DOESN'T happen.

There was a time not long ago when Yzerman could have run for Governor of Michigan just based on goodwill and name recognition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad