Post-Game Talk: Goodnight, Joe

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
That new arena is going to be great but you can't help but miss the old barn already. It's going to take a while for LCA to feel like home. You'd hope missing the playoffs once in 26 years isn't going to dampen the spirits of the fanbase and they'll be back at it again next fall with as much energy and passion as ever. A great send-off last night...

Goodbye Joe! :handclap:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Guy played 23 years in that building. And they weren't wasted. He won alot of hardware. Why wouldn't he?

The point was... he's the GM of another hockey team. He could come back (if he does) and say generic crap about how the fans were great or whatever, but that almost felt like a stump speech for the future of the Wings (aka a team that if they're playing for the Cup, then Yzerman's team cannot).

It is a fine line and more likely than not nothing, but you can read into the way he said stuff that his heart still bleeds red and white, not blue and white.

I don't want to read into it too much. I just think that he's got a crazy appreciation for the city he called how for 23 years in that he shows up to as many alumni things as he does and does as many of the events as he does, but he's committed to the job of bringing Tampa a title.

That being said, there is a 90%+ chance that at some point soon he's up in Detroit GM'ing this team.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Here's a stat that you guys might have missed, if Sheahan had scored at a 2 goal pace all season, he would have broken the single season record AND we would be in the playoffs.

Showing once again how worthless advanced stats are.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Great game, now let's get the team under Yzerman's control to start a new era in a new building.

A lot of friends posted pictures from the Joe many of them took their kids, that stadium was packed with the team's most hard core fans.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
There's a running thread on Tampa's forum about Yzerman leaving to Detroit. They aren't amused.

I'm not sure TB really needs to worry that much. They aren't going to let Yzerman out of his deal before it's up, especially to go to a division rival. Meanwhile, things have to line up in Detroit with Holland moving out of the way at the right time, something that's far from guaranteed.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
If Holland were to sign a one year extension I would feel a lot better about Stevie Y coming home.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Finally had time to watch the ceremony. Uh what the hell was Holland doing up in the box by himself with a miserable look on his face?

drwings40

Dec 27, 2015
What an amazing night and ceremony!
Z with a goal and assist in his 1000th game, kind of a PO atmosphere+intensity, a lot of great memories, good win and obviously I was happy for Sheahan too.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Does anyone have a screen shot of Holland in the press box? I like pictures of Holland looking sad

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
Despite the fact the this was a disappointing year I but just wanted to say the Goodbye to the Joe ceremony was amazing (thank god Fox Sports Detroit posted the entire ceremony on youtube). So many great memories and so many former players from the 80s, 90s and the 00s - and not just the stars either. Loved that even the players were soaking it in with many waving to their family in the stands and recording the moment on their phones. It was sad at parts of course as it would have been so great if Gordie and Mr. I. were still around, but if anything the ceremony reaffirmed to me the Red Wings tradition will always live on. From the crowd to the speeches to the final hockey stick salute from the players to the fans and vice versa, it was everything the Wings and the Joe stood for. What a franchise, what a place, what a city.

P.S. Come home Stevie!

TNigs

60 mins of Hell
Jul 29, 2012
Hockeytown
Stevie's got 2 years left on his contract. The Wings won't be a contender for 2 years, go C/D or D/C in the first two rounds both years and pray they turn into pieces to build around. Kenny will keep his seat warm and mop up the mess he made with star length contracts to average players. (Abby, Helm, Ericsson, DDK)

Come home Stevie!

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Was this when the fans were chanting "Come home Stevie" ?

No it was before that happened. Player announcements, I think? He was only shown once and was barely mentioned. Think Scotty is the only person to talk about him in passing along with the rest of the management group.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To be fair to Holland, he just presided over the end of the streak and a disappointing season. That, along with the passing of Mr. I, etc., and the whole thing was probably more bitter than sweet for him.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
No, it's not a stretch of the imagination at all. The Ilitch family knows Steve belongs in Detroit, and Stevie Y has even hedged his bets and never sold his home in the area. He has been very receptive to participating in special Wings events, alumni game, etc even while working with Tampa Bay.

I'll be surprised if it DOESN'T happen.

There was a time not long ago when Yzerman could have run for Governor of Michigan just based on goodwill and name recognition.

A time? I think he would still win right now. Yzerman is going to be beloved around Detroit and the State of Michigan until they put him in the ground. He could easily be like Gordie if he choose to be. He still lives in the area and everyone will love him until his last day. In my opinion he is hands down the most popular athlete in Detroit in my lifetime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad