Goodenow not Taking his Salary during Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

I came across an interesting article the other day. The senior NHLPA directors have decided to forgo their salaries during the period of the lockout.
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/OttawaSun/Sports/2004/09/15/629617.html

NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow won't be receiving a paycheque during the pending lockout. Once the collective bargaining agreement expires at 12:01 a.m. on Thursday, Goodenow along with senior union officials Ted Saskin, Ian Pulver and Ian Penny will stop getting paid until there is a new CBA in place. While the league has laid off some employees and a few teams will be forced to cut back salaries during the lockout, Goodenow, who is rumoured to be making $3 million (all terms US) per season, and his staff are willing to take the hit because they feel if the players aren't going to get paid, neither should they. "The NHLPA's executive committee thought it was important to maintain all staff positions at the NHLPA's office during the owners' lockout," Saskin, the union's senior director, said in a statement. "No NHLPA employees will be laid off, although the NHLPA's senior executives will not be paid while our members are locked out."

I understand that Gary Bettman will continue to pull down his US$6 million per year during the lockout.

Kind of ironic - Bettman triggers the lockout and he keeps getting paid.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Probably because his salary is paid by the players???

I am not sure of this...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Goodenow just has to sit on his ass until the impasse. He might as well go get a job at McDonalds serving coke and fries. At least that way he can provide a service to the players if they use the drive by window. Might even help him get some perspective on the real world value of $1.3m-1.8m.

Bettman still has to get everything ready for the season to start again under new rules.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad