Goodenow knows owners will spend it

Status
Not open for further replies.

swflyers8*

It would be a short-term hit that would be far preferable over the long haul to a salary cap system or severely punitive luxury tax system.

Specifically, Goodenow knows that if owners are allowed to spend in order to compete, they will spend.

So he knows the Red Wings, Flyers or Avalanche might simply take the savings from the 24 per cent salary rollback and immediately go on a free-agent spending spree on the likes of Paul Kariya and Glen Murray.

There would be nothing to stop the Rangers from offering Kariya $10 million a season, nothing to stop the Leafs from signing goalie Ed Belfour to another absurd deal.

Toronto Star-==== Must register to read...free

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
HungryforHockey25 said:

Of course he knows the owners are going to spend and the players will be getting their roll-back back within a few years. Thats why he is against a cap, a serious luxury tax, or any sort of cost certaninty. All those systems will not allow that to happen. But Goodenow claims that with his proposal, that the owners will be able to work with the 24% and keep it that way. If he's certain this will happen why doesn't he just accept one of these options and prevent it from happening. I don't buy Goodenow's argument for a second. I'm also beginning to think that this proposal was a p.r. stunt, with no chance that the NHL would accept it and him going line by line through the proposal with the media.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
kerrly said:
Of course he knows the owners are going to spend and the players will be getting their roll-back back within a few years. Thats why he is against a cap, a serious luxury tax, or any sort of cost certaninty. All those systems will not allow that to happen. But Goodenow claims that with his proposal, that the owners will be able to work with the 24% and keep it that way. If he's certain this will happen why doesn't he just accept one of these options and prevent it from happening. I don't buy Goodenow's argument for a second. I'm also beginning to think that this proposal was a p.r. stunt, with no chance that the NHL would accept it and him going line by line through the proposal with the media.
Well said.

jacketracket*

I agree completely. From an editorial that ran in Sunday's local rag here in Columbus:

"It's ingenious. Goodenow is offering the NHL spendaholics a bag of money and asking them to meet him in the middle of his shopping mall to pick it up. He has been around these guys long enough to know how they operate. He knows they will spend most of the money before they even reach the door."

http://www.dispatch.com

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Someone has to tell Knob Goodenow that the gravy train that he and his union have been taking to work for the past 10 years has left the station... the season is over! :banghead: :mad: :madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad