Good skills... not so smart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Anyone notice any players in this tournament that have tremendous skills, but aren't that smart hockey wise... or they just don't care enough to give it 110%?

Alvaro Montoya and Robert Nilsson come to mind.

Shawn Belle would have fallen under this category, but he's kept it simple and has impressed me defensively at times, though he still shows glimpses of dumbness with the puck and defensive positioning away from the boards when he can't use his massive frame to stop the forwards.

leafaholix*

flyerfreak941 said:
Theyll get smarter as theyre careers move on
That may be true for some... but if they're not smart in junior hockey... chances are that their NHL futures aren't that bright.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Being from Calgary and watching the Hitmen I can say that Getzlaf hasn't always been the smartest player. He has great offensive potential but tends to make some silly plays sometimes and takes some even worse penalties. He has, however, been getting a lot better in that department now compared to a year or 2 ago. I can see him being just fine once coach Babcock gets a hold of him.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Watching Nilsson put about 3 passes where his linemates should have been yesterday leads me to believe he has more sense than his linemates....at least yesterday

leafaholix*

Wild GM said:
Watching Nilsson put about 3 passes where his linemates should have been yesterday leads me to believe he has more sense than his linemates....at least yesterday
Nilsson falls under the second part of my question.

... or they just don't care enough to give it 110%?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
Wild GM said:

Not smart enough to know his linemates are stupid, then.

chicpea*

ryz said:
Being from Calgary and watching the Hitmen I can say that Getzlaf hasn't always been the smartest player. He has great offensive potential but tends to make some silly plays sometimes and takes some even worse penalties. He has, however, been getting a lot better in that department now compared to a year or 2 ago. I can see him being just fine once coach Babcock gets a hold of him.

Ha, when I saw the thread title I thought this thread was devoted to Getzlaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad