Good players that are indirect by-product of Leafs Draft Picks

Status
Not open for further replies.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Out of curiousity who are some good players that are indirect bi products of Leafs Draft picks

We know the direct ones, like Seguin and Louango

One of the indirect ones would be Roman Josi. We traded for Perrault in 2007 from Phoenix for a 2nd rounder and Phoenix trades to Nashville

Lars Eller is another one I believe

Last edited:

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
This is like flogging yourself for stepping on bugs when you were a kid. Let the past stay there, unless you just happen to like floggings.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally I don't like examples of what the OP is referring to.

It's one thing to say the Bruins selected Tyler Seguin and Dougie Hamilton with the Leafs 1st round picks they traded away to them.

However let's say the Leafs traded a 2nd or 3rd round pick to one team and that team then trades it to someone else and the player picked becomes very good, it's not the Leafs fault if the pick gets traded again.

Using the Lars Eller example is it the Leafs fault that San Jose used the Leafs 1st round pick in 2007 that they got for Vesa Toskala and traded it to the Blues so they moved up and selected Logan Couture.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Going down this road will be mighty depressing.

Do you really wanna go down this painful path?

This is like flogging yourself for stepping on bugs when you were a kid. Let the past stay there, unless you just happen to like floggings.

Thanks boys. How many depressing threads can one be expected to endure? Isn't being a Leaf fan in the present tough enough without piling on the past?

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
For the sake of some perspective, we should all read this.

Only one hockey-related trade in there and I don't think anything we've ever done comes close to it.

Last edited:

Pocket Hercules

Business in the front, party in the back.
Jun 19, 2008
York Region
Scott Niedermayer - the pick was traded to NJ for Tom Kurvers

Joe Sakic - The Leafs scouting staff wanted to pick him, but Ballard threatened that if they didn't draft him a D-man, that they would all be fired...The Leafs ended up picking Luke Richardson instead.

Roberto Luongo - We traded our 1997 1st round pick to the Islanders for get Wendel Clark back and Mathieu Schiender. Would have be more palatable if Schiender didn't demand a trade behind the scenes due to an monetary dispute.

Doug Jarvis - The Leafs traded him to Montreal because Ballard though he was "Pejorative Slured"... it turns out he was just shy. He then went on to set an NHL ironman record for consecutive games (964), win a Selke Trophy, and multiple Stanley Cups.

There's probably more but those are the ones off the top of my head.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Roberto Luongo - We traded our 1997 1st round pick to the Islanders for get Wendel Clark back and Mathieu Schiender. Would have be more palatable if Schiender didn't demand a trade behind the scenes due to an monetary dispute.
Whenever someone brings that up I always say this. Considering how popular Clark was and everyone being disappointed when the Leafs originally traded him, how many people at that time cared about them giving up their 1st round pick? Yes it's easy to say it turned out that they could have selected Luongo had they kept it, although would the Leafs really selected him?

Although considering the Islanders traded Luongo after only 1 season because they selected Rick DiPietro 1st overall in 2000, I say that looks a lot worse and I use the example of Boston trading Tyler Seguin to Dallas because they actually traded him and the Leafs only traded their 1st round picks which turned into those players.

Leafspoison*

Out of curiousity who are some good players that are indirect bi products of Leafs Draft picks

We know the direct ones, like Seguin and Louango

One of the indirect ones would be Roman Josi. We traded for Perrault in 2007 from Phoenix for a 2nd rounder and Phoenix trades to Nashville

Lars Eller is another one I believe

I think I would rather just kick myself in the taters than rehash these old memories.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Wouldn't every franchise have a list of these and the longer they have been around the longer that list would be. No point crying over things in the past but Leafs need to learn not to make the same mistakes again. Starts this year with their pics and trying to land some other teams pics. Maybe if we are lucky, Reilly, Kadri and others will make those previous years just a bad dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad