Good or Best 9 ronder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Testify

Jun 24, 2004
Hi everyone,

I would like know witch 9ronder of this year draft you think has the best skills or chance to making it in the NHL :)

its pretty hard question... but give me ur opinion

:help:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
John Carter. I had heard he was supposed to be a 4th round pick, and he slipped to the last pick of the draft.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Given his potential (even though he's a boom or bust type), Martin Vagner is easily the best player selected in the 9th round of this draft.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Given his potential (even though he's a boom or bust type), Martin Vagner is easily the best player selected in the 9th round of this draft.

I would have to agree. Martin Vagner was a former 1st round selection and those types of players don't slip to the 9th round usually. Vagner is a slam dunk in this category. At least half of those players taken in the 9th round won't ever play a professional game at any level, so it's quite obviously Vagner.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
John Carter. I had heard he was supposed to be a 4th round pick, and he slipped to the last pick of the draft.

He definitely could emerge as the best of the round. It is boom or bust with him. He is a while away too.

I am going to go with Kyle Wilson to Minnesota. He emerged as a bona-fide scorer at the NCAA level this year, and was the ECAC's best defensive forward to boot, which should fit right into Minnesota's system, which is why I think at this point he has the most things going for him to make the NHL out of the round 9 crop.

Brian Ihnacak at the top of the round was a great pick as well.

And to throw in some Homerism, Danny Winnik and Craig Switzer are damn good hockey players too.

Greg

Feb 27, 2002
TMHUNH said:
And to throw in some Homerism, Danny Winnik and Craig Switzer are damn good hockey players too.
What is Winnik's game? I read on uscho he has hands of stone.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Caniacforever said:
I would have to agree. Martin Vagner was a former 1st round selection and those types of players don't slip to the 9th round usually. Vagner is a slam dunk in this category. At least half of those players taken in the 9th round won't ever play a professional game at any level, so it's quite obviously Vagner.

There's a reason 29 other teams wouldnt touch him and it took the Canes (not know for having the best scouting staff I might add) to say "F*** it" and take their chance on a guy who pretty much will need to sell his soul to the devil to set foot on NHL ice but thats just my opinion.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
Greg said:
What is Winnik's game? I read on uscho he has hands of stone.

I wouldn't say that. In fact, he is a very good finisher around the net, with one-timers and rebounds. He even scored a pretty goal this year by batting a puck in out of the air, hardly hands of stone. I would describe his main game as a banger/finisher. He can skate fine, hit good, dig pucks out of corners, and put them in the net. The main thing missing from his game at this point would be setting up nice offensive plays, and knowing what to do with the puck when he has it. To sum it up, he is an excellent player without the puck, but an average one when he has it. Needs to work on his offensive awareness. He has the ability to break out in the next couple of years and be one of the top scorers on his team, but we'll see what happens.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hero of Tragedy said:
There's a reason 29 other teams wouldnt touch him and it took the Canes (not know for having the best scouting staff I might add) to say "F*** it" and take their chance on a guy who pretty much will need to sell his soul to the devil to set foot on NHL ice but thats just my opinion.

Even if what you say is true, which I highly doubt, if Carolina signs him and puts him in the ECHL with the Florida Everblades, he's made it past where 50% of the 9th Round draft picks will end up.

Take the 1999 draft in the 9th round for example. Only 4 players have played at the NHL level, I don't have time to check up on this, but i'd assume that less than half of them ever even made it to the ECHL.

With that said, Martin Vagner had the talent to be taken at LEAST in the early 2nd round two years ago. I'll conceed that Dallas was reaching him being taken where he was, but he was easily a top 50 talent in the draft. Anybody with that amount of skill, you can't count out. Half these guys won't ever see the light of NHL ice, and Vagner has the best chance. Bottom line really.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Caniacforever said:
Half these guys won't ever see the light of NHL ice, and Vagner has the best chance. Bottom line really.

Not necessarily true...in fact I'd argue that his chances are worst since he has had two years to show that he belongs in the NHL over the other guys who were drafted in the 9th round. So he was drafted in the 1st round in 02...thats Dallas mistake. They didnt make the same mistake this year of draftin him, the same with 28 other teams. That right there speaks volumes to me. Canes are allowed to gamble and take a former first round pick way down in the 9th when the pickings are slim but its a wasted pick in my opinion. All I know he is far from my choice regarding the topic of this thread.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hero of Tragedy said:
Not necessarily true...in fact I'd argue that his chances are worst since he has had two years to show that he belongs in the NHL over the other guys who were drafted in the 9th round. So he was drafted in the 1st round in 02...thats Dallas mistake. They didnt make the same mistake this year of draftin him, the same with 28 other teams. That right there speaks volumes to me. Canes are allowed to gamble and take a former first round pick way down in the 9th when the pickings are slim but its a wasted pick in my opinion. All I know he is far from my choice regarding the topic of this thread.

I'm under the impression that if R.J. Umberger would have entered the draft again, he might not have even gotten drafted at all. That just goes to show you that your hockey skill alone isn't the only thing that keeps you from being selected early in the draft. Vagner had two years in which his progress was stalled, but he has shown and proven more than all the other 9th Rounders combined, especially in his draft year. Vagner has been known as inconsistant, which is far better than being consistantly bad like the majority of the other 9th Rounders. His skill set is the best of the entire 9th Round, and therefore he's more likely to make it the NHL in my eyes. It may not be this season or the next, but Vagner is going to see the NHL one day. I can pretty much bet on that.

V for Voodoo

Nov 7, 2002
Boom Shaka-Laka.
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
I'm under the impression that if R.J. Umberger would have entered the draft again, he might not have even gotten drafted at all.

You are quite mistaken. I think the Flyers signing him to a nice, lucrative deal (far more than what any
other 9th rounder would ever receive) kind of debunks that.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
While I do tend to agree with Caniac that Martin Vagner most likely has the best shot (though it is a good argument to say that Vagner has had two years more than the other prospects to prove his worth and in that time he has sunk like a rock), I have to ask where you get the idea that Umberger would have went unsigned?

The guy got a very nice contract from the Flyers...to me that indicates they felt he was coveted by a number of other teams, and his contract makes me think they saw him much higher than a ninth round pick.

I'm just wondering if you have any sources or links to indicate that Umberger, had he been eligible to enter the draft, would have been entirely passed over?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I have no sources but blind, and more than likely uninformed, opinion. I was grasping at straws to make a comparison where there was none and overextended myself. I recant that statement upon further review, it's been a long week. ;)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Haha, fair enough.

Like I said, I agree with you in what you're saying in the bigger picture, and was just curious if there was something with Umberger I wasn't aware of.

Thanks for the honesty. :)

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
NJ's Klimov actually was on some of the team russia's and in long mock drafts I seen went in the 3rd or 4th round. Since I still know little to nothing on him I can't really say. Anyone know something about him? Please....

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Caniacforever said:
I have no sources but blind, and more than likely uninformed, opinion. I was grasping at straws to make a comparison where there was none and overextended myself. I recant that statement upon further review, it's been a long week. ;)

When 10 people who have seen him play tell you the same thing its not really a blind opinion.

YOU have never seen him play, therefore you cant talk abou thim as a player versus people, like myself and others, who have watched him over 10 times.

The guy went backwards in 3 years...he is going back to the Czech, i dont even think he could play ECHL.

Stada

May 24, 2004
La-La-Laprise said:
When 10 people who have seen him play tell you the same thing its not really a blind opinion.

YOU have never seen him play, therefore you cant talk abou thim as a player versus people, like myself and others, who have watched him over 10 times.

The guy went backwards in 3 years...he is going back to the Czech, i dont even think he could play ECHL.

OHHHHHH...this is really good you can judge a player when you saw him 10 times or more.Thats amazing to see that... why dont you base all of his career with more than 10 games..your blind SIR La-La-Laprise...too bad for you hey but i heard he's not going back in czech next year but probably AHL or you never know maybe WHA...You should have went in hull for a couple of years... and ohh yea maybe u are in hull since you know a lot of things about this kid!!!!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Stada said:
OHHHHHH...this is really good you can judge a player when you saw him 10 times or more.Thats amazing to see that... why dont you base all of his career with more than 10 games..your blind SIR La-La-Laprise...too bad for you hey but i heard he's not going back in czech next year but probably AHL or you never know maybe WHA...You should have went in hull for a couple of years... and ohh yea maybe u are in hull since you know a lot of things about this kid!!!!
Seeing a player 10 times is more then enough to base a strong opinion on. I am sure counting the memorial cup La-La-Laprise seen him over 10 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad