Good Headphones?

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Another vote for the Sennheiser HD 598. At that price range you won't find better. Those headphones used to be 300$ back a couple of years ago. They sound phenomenal and got great reviews all around.

If you can wait for black friday though then do it. Normally there are a bunch of hot deals on headphones. The HD 598 went below 100$ last year. It's an absolute steal at that price. But even at 150$ it's one of the best buy you can make imho

CloudReader

Jan 31, 2005
Montreal
The HD598 sound more natural and clear than the ATH-M50x -just the nature of open-back headphones. I really like them, and find them more comfortable to wear (lighter) -especially with glasses on. They were selling for 126 CAD tax included on amazon prime day, so if you wait there will be deals.

However, open headphones like the HD598 don't isolate noise at all. So they are unsuitable to listening while commuting / traveling. The ATH-M50x is far more versatile in that sense -but I don't like to travel with it either due to bulk.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
To determine which headphones to recommend, it would be helpful if you gave us a bit of criteria.

Over ear, in ear, earphones?
Wired, wireless?
Open or closed?
Listening device?

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
I tried out a pair of Sennheiser once, and they were incredible.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O515CK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Even used them to talk to a buddy of mine on Skype and it made it sound like I was talking to God.
Although I ultimately ended up sending them back, if you have the cash to spare, I would say take a good look into Sennheiser for sure.

The headset that I use now is actually a gaming headset, but it still works very well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAYCXWG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Sennheiser...lol

Beats all day. They get so much hate for some reason, but there is a reason why it's the best selling headphone - because it's the best.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Turtlebeaches are great for music. But they aren't good if ur trying to do it in public or something

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Superlux HD668. Very very accurate. Frequency response from 16Hz-30kHz. Runs about $40-50 on Amazon. Detachable cable, which is nice since if your cable goes out you can just get another extension.

I use them for mixing and mastering often.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I have the ATH-m50x, Beyerdynamic DT990's, and Sony MDRZX770DC's as my collection of big headphones.

The Beyers are more comfortable, and I find that open backed cans put less pressure on my ears (sonically), both sets are comfortable, and I wear glasses too. The Sony's don't compare to either, but are Bluetooth for use at work, and the mild noise cancelling cuts down on the noise of the rough pumps of our mass spectrometers in the lab.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Sennheiser...lol

Beats all day. They get so much hate for some reason, but there is a reason why it's the best selling headphone - because it's the best.

15668467.jpg

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The HD598 sound more natural and clear than the ATH-M50x -just the nature of open-back headphones. I really like them, and find them more comfortable to wear (lighter) -especially with glasses on. They were selling for 126 CAD tax included on amazon prime day, so if you wait there will be deals.

However, open headphones like the HD598 don't isolate noise at all. So they are unsuitable to listening while commuting / traveling. The ATH-M50x is far more versatile in that sense -but I don't like to travel with it either due to bulk.

These two were the finalists when I was choosing, but considering about 3/4 of the time I'm wearing headphones comes when trying to work in loud environments...that made the decision for me.

Last edited:

Pattinson

Nov 18, 2019
USA
I prefer open-back / semi-open cans, the wide sound stage gives virtual surround in games much more depth and precision IMO and there are very few gaming headsets under $100 that are not closed back - only one that comes close would be HyperX Revolver, which is ported giving it a bit of a wider sound stage similar to the JVC HA-RX700 (which I have and largely prefer, due to to the incredible bass response and flat signature).

I tend to switch between those JVCs and a Samson SR850 since the velour pads give me much more comfort during long sessions, the pleather pads tend to get a bit warm over time. My "good" headphones (Logitech G930) is pretty much tied to my AVR since I find budget studio cans are well enough in sound quality for gaming and streaming music. Also, i recently purchased HyperX Cloud Revolver S, simple designed ethos coupled with a variety of audio preset options and an amazing plug-and-play virtual surround sound

As far as surround sound, some games have it integrated into the game (e.g. "headphone" settings in the audio options), windows 10 has "sonic" spatial sound you can enable, some integrated realtek have it in the audio output options, 3rd party software solutions like Razer surround as previously mentioned and better sound cards (also previously mentioned) like the Sound Blaster Play!3 also support vsurround (which I am currently using, SBX is my favorite so far since it sounds good for games and movies and can adust the level of surround to your preference)

Last edited:

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Wait until Black Friday or Boxing Day. You can get a great pair of Bose headphones that would normally be in the $200-300 range, for like $90. I've done that twice and have been happy with both products, the only drawback is that they are wired and not wireless/bluetooth enabled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad