OT: Good establishments to watch Jets games

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I've been there many times and wonder why I go back. So what if there are a handful of nice staff...terrible service, overpriced and a otherwise a sausage festival. They even started serving mini-beer draft glasses at 300mL and sell them for pint prices. :snakehead:

Yeah, the more stories I hear like that, the glad I am it only took me once to figure it out. A Yelp reviewer stated that he was turned way for violating the dress code, by wearing a Bombers jersey there on a Friday night to watch the game. Kind of says it all.

Between that and the mysterious "exactly $10.00 for a double" at the draft day when a single was a non-round amount.... yeah.

Repoman

Jun 21, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
One of my favourite spots in the Burlington / Oakville Ont. area is QB's in Burlington. The last two years I have been out there in March / April for a few weeks and the staff is awesome. Would always put the game on one of the big screens for me. If no Leafs or Jays they would put the volume on for me as well. Good food / beer on tap. Wait staff could be a little easier on the eyes but that't not my main concern.

Galbatross

Oct 29, 2013
My favorite place to check out games is Tony Roma's on Pembina highway. The lounge always has the games on and they have low priced chicken wings with delicious flavors. Its never been busy.

hockeytalk21

Nov 11, 2011
Hat Tricks in St.James is an outstanding place to go and watch games. They have quite a few tvs. Staff is friendly and service is good. A good amount of VLTs as well for those who like to fund the government.

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
I'm a fan of BP on Henderson (one of the closest locations for me). The lounge is a nice size, I was there for the Oilers game we won a few weeks ago with about 6 buddies. Good times.

seasontixholder*

I love my basement. Over 100" 1080p projector. Booze and food are cheap. lol

Wpgpage

Nov 25, 2010
-The Grove (former Tubby's/Charlie O's) is a VERY cool place. Awesome ownership & staff. Great atmosphere. Volume always on for games. No big projector, but decent sized TV's. Lots of beer on tap & the food is consistently very high quality & crazy cheap. Have their soup. Changes every day & is great. Hands down the best run pub in Winnipeg.

I am at the Grove far far to often, it is a solid place to watch the game, Toby comes by for post game meals as well sometimes and is usually up to answer a question or two.

YWGF18

Oct 24, 2011
Winnipeg
I've been there many times and wonder why I go back. So what if there are a handful of nice staff...terrible service, overpriced and a otherwise a sausage festival. They even started serving mini-beer draft glasses at 300mL and sell them for pint prices. :shakehead

I second that, I like the venue and the Pizza on Tuesdays(?) are good and good price, but service sucks, nice to look at but horrible for paying attention. I'd rather have some old grubby server waiting on my beck and call bringing me beer then something nice to look at that doesn't do her job.

Maybe it was a bad 1st and 2nd impression but in my experience they were understaffed, last game I went my table sat awkwardly shifting our 6 empty glasses to the side of the table, then to the corner and then stacking them for a good 10 minutes before the server came back (so maybe 25-30 minutes total between visits), by then it was a judgement call whether we should ask for the bill or get another round, we decided to do both, but it would have been nice to get another round in before heading into the rink.

Edit: I toss my name in the Pembina Tony Roma's good wings reasonable price, beer is getting more and more expensive there, so I've been looking elsewhere. staff has a hard time controlling the cable boxes from time to time so you may miss some action if the game isn't already on.

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I'm 3-0-1 at Fox and Fiddle now. :laugh:

They've got great wings and I like their setup. Only complaint is that drink prices are a total ripoff.

Breaking Ladd

Dec 14, 2013
Winnipeg
Confusion Corner is a good spot, lots of TVs around the bar. Fallen slightly out of favour as we've watched far too many terrible Bomber games there plus at $6 beers are expensive.

Just checked out The Cheer on Osborne a few weeks ago, will definitely go back. Lots of TVs, waitress was very friendly, had specials on, etc.

I generally like the Shark Club but definitely has its flaws As others have said, the servers are generally pretty aloof. But the feel of the place is different from the usual Wpg places, feels like you're in a different city. Been there quite a few times, Monday Night Football is really good there.

Breaking Ladd

Dec 14, 2013
Winnipeg
On another note, I never understand how sports bars around the city never seem to have any idea what games are on to put on the TVs. They of course always know when the Jets/Bombers/NFL are on but at other times, they seem to just show whatever is on TSN/golf channel instead of NBA, college basketball/football, soccer, random other hockey games, etc. I know the other sports aren't as popular but still...

If I was a manager in a bar I would make a list of every game on for the week and give it to the bartender to use as a guide. If someone wanted to watch something else, change a couple of the TVs to that. Always a head scratcher when every single TV is set to curling when there are about 5 other games happening.

Tdoe42

Jun 7, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
No reason for that. Bring it to the staffs attention & it'll be corrected. The hotel GM is an ex DJ & both the former Canad Inns Director of Entertainment technology as well as VP of nightclubs. He won't stand for any AV issues. All the gear there is first class & installed very well. Any sound problems would be user error on Tavern staff that should be brought to their attention.

I find it depends on where you sit some spots are better then the others if I notice it again ill bring it up

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
On another note, I never understand how sports bars around the city never seem to have any idea what games are on to put on the TVs. They of course always know when the Jets/Bombers/NFL are on but at other times, they seem to just show whatever is on TSN/golf channel instead of NBA, college basketball/football, soccer, random other hockey games, etc. I know the other sports aren't as popular but still...

If I was a manager in a bar I would make a list of every game on for the week and give it to the bartender to use as a guide. If someone wanted to watch something else, change a couple of the TVs to that. Always a head scratcher when every single TV is set to curling when there are about 5 other games happening.

Often can depend on the way their system is configured. First class establishments will have a HD video matrix allowing for any of their HD input signals to be transferred to any of their HD TV's. They can't just point the remote at a TV & change that channel. Also for anyone that has purchased an HDMI cable should have an idea what the costs are to run hundreds of feet of that same signal cable from their matrix to each television. Can often be thousands of feet. Although there are ways around this, even then its rather costly.

This is why most often chain restaurants make the best sports venues as they have the money & the experience to have all this thought out prior to their initial opening.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Personal chooses would include:

- the Met. Sitting in a booth on the second floor is akin to watching sports at a movie theatre. Breathtaking 1080p image that is well maintained. Nearly impossible to find a seat during Jets home games during intermission, but a ghost town once the games start & bang you've got the best seat ion the house. Beer is cheap ($4 from the beer tub located immediately at their entrance) to attract ticket holders across the street during intermissions.

-The Grove (former Tubby's/Charlie O's) is a VERY cool place. Awesome ownership & staff. Great atmosphere. Volume always on for games. No big projector, but decent sized TV's. Lots of beer on tap & the food is consistently very high quality & crazy cheap. Have their soup. Changes every day & is great. Hands down the best run pub in Winnipeg.

Met hasn't had the beer tub for awhile.

Love the Grove, but have never been there for a Jets game. It gets crazy packed there at nights, can't imagine it's easy to find a spot when the Jets are playing.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Not sure if there has been a post about this before but the pregame thread had me thinking.

Where are some of your favorite spots to watch the Jets and why?

I've really only been to BP for a game. Its decent (lounge section) but nothing fancy. Do they still have the chance to win tickets if you buy Bud products? I have not been this year.

Anyone been to Barley Brothers? I got a GC for Christmas and thinking about trying it out today.

Went there once not long after it opened. They seem to struggle with the concept of being a craft beer pub, that being that people are there to try a bunch of different beers. They didn't have offer any samplers. Every other craft pub or brew pub I've been to in my life offers this, I'm not going to pay for a pint to test a beer that I might find completely undrinkable. If you offer sample packages where I can order samples of 5 beers for $10, $12 whatever, and see what I like, I'm in.

Food was not that great, but that's kind of par for the course for craft/brew pubs. It's the odd one that has great food.

Could be better now.

Che vy Teemuchuk

May 31, 2011
John Labatt Centre
Went there once not long after it opened. They seem to struggle with the concept of being a craft beer pub, that being that people are there to try a bunch of different beers. They didn't have offer any samplers. Every other craft pub or brew pub I've been to in my life offers this, I'm not going to pay for a pint to test a beer that I might find completely undrinkable. If you offer sample packages where I can order samples of 5 beers for $10, $12 whatever, and see what I like, I'm in.

Food was not that great, but that's kind of par for the course for craft/brew pubs. It's the odd one that has great food.

Could be better now.

They have them now. I sampled my way to oblivion.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00