Equipment: Good alternatives to hockey gloves in Canada?

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
I was reading ads for armored gloves, but they appear to only be available in the US. I'm going to see if I can get back into playing, but always found hockey gloves to be bulky and impeding my already clumsy grip. I am small enough to fit youth XL if it is a better fit than small adult. Suggestions?

Also, I may only wear snowpants(as opposed to bulkier hockey pants). Any suggestions on extra protective gear for the mid torso/back?
(My shoulder pads protect the main organs)

IIHFjerseycollector

Feb 2, 2005
Sturgis SD
playing hockey at an actual rink in a league or in your yard? if in a league get real hockey gloves and get the correct size. go to a hockey store and they will help. armored gloves wont do the job.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
They are a lot of different glove fits so you may eventually find one you like. If not, then try lacrosse gloves.

I don't get why you would want to wear snowpants. One accidental fall on your tailbone or one collision on your hips and you'll regret it.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
They are a lot of different glove fits so you may eventually find one you like. If not, then try lacrosse gloves.

I don't get why you would want to wear snowpants. One accidental fall on your tailbone or one collision on your hips and you'll regret it.

It's very low level hockey, no contact and I am sick of being a fat little waddler out there. I want to be able to move for a change.Hockey pants are very bulky, also my hockey bag is massive with all the gear .

RiceCooker

"We Got Some Looks"
Mar 6, 2007
Home !!
Sounds like you need Cooper-alls......do they still make them lol ?
If not,stick to hockey pants as snow pants will not provide any protection from falling or collisions.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
go ahead and try the gloves you wanted...once you take a nice "accidental" slash or shot to the hand, you'll understand why hockey gloves are so bulky.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
There are actually a lot of options for padded shirts and pants out there. All of the big brands (UnderArmour, Nike) have padded apparel with protection in key areas (shoulder, sternum, spine, tailbone, hips) so that might be your best choice.

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I don't get the snowpants thing either - no protection from falls, or shots, and you will be roasting in them.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
It's very low level hockey, no contact and I am sick of being a fat little waddler out there. I want to be able to move for a change.Hockey pants are very bulky, also my hockey bag is massive with all the gear .

It sounds like you are trying to fix a personal problem in the wrong way. Basically, it sounds like you feel the way you do not because of hockey gear but because of what is underneath. Rather than learn the hard way the purpose of the protection, maybe you should try to work on improving your movement without the gear which will improve your movement with the gear.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
They make very light gear that isn't at all cumbersome, you just need to find it. Shin guards that barely wrap the front, shoulder pads that only cover the shoulders and pants with a extremely thin shell, not to mention gloves that don't come up high on your wrists.

I'd recommend going with hockey gear rather than dressing like you're going for a snowshoe because even if it isn't contact, those pucks fly pretty hard!

hlaverty06

Feb 11, 2012
NJ all day
SNow pants and armored gloves...I'm sorry but this thread can't be serious.....

Even in a non contact league slashes and falling still happen....

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
It sounds like you are trying to fix a personal problem in the wrong way. Basically, it sounds like you feel the way you do not because of hockey gear but because of what is underneath. Rather than learn the hard way the purpose of the protection, maybe you should try to work on improving your movement without the gear which will improve your movement with the gear.

I move with a lot more agility without gear, because I am so small in coed hockey I always geared up. What's the worst that can happen, someone with about a foot of height and 100 pounds squashes me like a bug? Oh right.....:p:

I found shock doctor stuff...maybe I will go with that.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
Aside from what people have said here about protection - which I absolutely agree with - if this is a league, my guess is you won't be let onto the ice with snow-pants and armoured gloves anyway.

mgd150

Jan 19, 2010
This has to be a joke. I'd be much less mobile and agile in some snowpants than I am in my Bauer Supreme One15 pants.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Are you planning on playing hockey or just a bit of skating outdoors?

If it's outside, get some foam elbow and knee pads and you're set.

For hockey, get proper fitting gear. It's not bulky and it doesn't restrict movement. Maybe 20-30 years ago, but today's gear is very flexible and protective.

Check the big equipment sticky up top for detailed advice and feel free to ask any questions about specific gear.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I couldn't even think about playing without real hockey gloves, even if I'm just skating around in a outdoor rink. The feeling and touch is just so much better. Maybe the gloves that they used to have 20 years ago were horrible, but that's not the case anymore.

Stickchecked

Jun 16, 2012
Ottawa, ON
The Bauer Supreme line of gloves are nice. I forget I'm even wearing them.

Good to hear. I just bought some Supreme One60s yesterday. I finally realized that I've been wearing gloves that are the wrong size/way too big. I've had issues with the looseness of my gloves while playing.

I planned on trying on a ton of gloves but saw a 20% off sale and just bought them. So I'm going from 4 roll 14" to anatomical fit 13". Obviously a world of difference. They are definitely snug but I think I prefer that since I have small hands and wrists. My hand and glove are now one, but the wrists seem to have full mobility.

I can't wait to try them out on the ice.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
If you find hockey pants too bulky, you might want to try a referee's girdle under whatever else you wear, or even look into the referee pants with a built in girdle. Nothing worse than slamming your tailbone/hips off the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad