Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I got even more confirmation why I should rarely visit the mains. Apparently McDavid started the whole incident and he used a two handed full baseball swing to slash Soucy or smashed him with a golf club swing. Are they just delusional or really stupid? Probably both

McDavid off balance slashes Soucy in the most padded part of his whole body. Soucy probably barely felt it.

Zadorov's cheap shot is the worst bit of the whole sequence. Nice to know Hyman got a little revenge for McDavid.

Reactions: guymez and TB12

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Don't think this is fair view of game. Oilers had one bad shift to start game. Then took off from there. They quickly got a PP off a trip on Drai and scored on the PP. They then had 2-3 other scoring chances and nearly went up 2-0.

Then NHL game management took over and hit the Oilers with a completely fictional interference call on Drai, ironically, who along with McD has been interfered with 50X in this series. It was as if the NHL was mocking with this penalty call. Drai of course was livid and even mild mannered KK. Of course Nucks score on PP and it changes the whole dynamic of the game which had the look of the Oilers piling on a lead, to giving the Nucks life and a reset and a tie game. Nucks then get another completely fictional penalty call for a PP and score again. NHL changing the game entirely than the one being played with specious officiating that sought to even up calls at best even while Nucks were committing vast majority of offenses.

During game none more cynical than the matching call after Zadorov is pushing Kane into bench for 15secs. For all that Zad says Kane held his stick so Kane gets a penalty too. Garbage call.

Then the disgrace at the end of the game.

McLeod is not letting the team down. He is our best pk player and at worse is putting up low event EV play. He's not costing us in any way. He would have multiple assists by now but nobody has been cashing.

You're bang on with all of this, but one thing to add that is completely in our control - we stopped moving our f***ing feet again the moment something bad happened (PP GA). Stopped playing, again.

One thing I look for that is a "tell" for our overall game - are the d men moving their feet when we get the puck, and are they passing while in motion or standing still? Out of all things, this is the one thing that dictates our ability to play a quality game 5v5. When they're moving our breakouts are fast, crisp, and de-risked. When we are still we allow the opposition to set up and basically wait for us to ice it or turn it over. We had our feet in the first 10, then decided to not after that.

There is one guy I've seen in my life that could hit break out passes with any consistency standing still and that is Chris Pronger. There are some good passers on this defense, but none of them are Pronger, so they need to recognize when their feet are still and make a change.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drivesaitl

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Also, gotta agree that this orgs love affair with "nice guy, good in the room" needs to go. I don't care if you're the nicest guy on the planet, play the best available.

Meanwhile, if McCrimmon gets even a sniff that a guy is faltering, he's wheeling and dealing and conveniently being unaware of trade protection to keep his team competing, and now VGK has a Cup in their first seven seasons.

Reactions: dsi

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Also, gotta agree that this orgs love affair with "nice guy, good in the room" needs to go. I don't care if you're the nicest guy on the planet, play the best available.

Meanwhile, if McCrimmon gets even a sniff that a guy is faltering, he's wheeling and dealing and conveniently being unaware of trade protection to keep his team competing, and now VGK has a Cup in their first seven seasons.
I hated how he did MAF dirty and Fleury found out through social media he was dealt to Chicago after thinking he was safe. But McCrimmon straight up gives zero f***s if a guy likes the city, is good in the room or well liked by team leadership or part of the team leadership.

His job is to cut the dead weight and keep the team competitive. It blew up in his face this year but if Mark Hunter is Holland’s successor, I hope he has this same ruthless mentality.

Skinner
Nurse
Ceci
Mcleod
RNH
Ryan
Campbell (either buyout or trade)
All UFAs

…would not be on this team next year if it were up to me. Then build from the net out.

Time for McDavid and Draisaitl to get serious too. Do you want to try and win or do you want a country club because the fans will not put up with country club.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I hated how he did MAF dirty and Fleury found out through social media he was dealt to Chicago after thinking he was safe. But McCrimmon straight up gives zero f***s if a guy likes the city, is good in the room or well liked by team leadership or part of the team leadership.

His job is to cut the dead weight and keep the team competitive. It blew up in his face this year but if Mark Hunter is Holland’s successor, I hope he has this same ruthless mentality.

Skinner
Nurse
Ceci
Mcleod
RNH
Ryan
Campbell (either buyout or trade)
All UFAs

…would not be on this team next year if it were up to me. Then build from the net out.

Time for McDavid and Draisaitl to get serious too. Do you want to try and win or do you want a country club because the fans will not put up with country club.
It would be so nice to go into next season without a dozen players on the "this playoffs, it will be different!" list.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
f***ing guy insists on playing at 240lbs to make his limited mobility and athleticism even more limited

He's clearly banked on just being big and letting the puck hit him. Problem is he never challenges a shooter and more often than not, when puck goes in, he's completely on his knees, halfway in the net.

Reactions: scotchtapejr

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
There is no sensible reason to start Skinner. What are the chances Pickard loses his mind like Skinner does? I don't know, but Skinner has been awful in the playoffs a couple times now. Start Pickard. Win or lose I bet he gives you .900 sv%

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Don't make Skinner available for the media and don't start him next game.
My guess is they’re protecting him from the media because they’re still planning on starting him in game four. They’d rather trot out the “win as a team, lose as a team” nonsense they did last year than go out on a limb and give somebody else a shot.

Reactions: dsi

scotchtapejr

Dec 28, 2018
Problem is if they start Stuart for game 5 and he blows it, that's the end of his career in Edmonton.

Fans will not let him play another game.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My guess is they’re protecting him from the media because they’re still planning on starting him in game four. They’d rather trot out the “win as a team, lose as a team” nonsense they did last year than go out on a limb and give somebody else a shot.
The other possibility might be that they played Pickard in the 3rd period as a warmup to playing in game 4.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I hope he's ready for the emotions of being scratched next game. Useless sieve is the main reason we aren't up 3-0 in the series. "Learn from it" - asinine roll back comment that means nothing. Silovs has experience you can count on 1 hand and he's already owning the moment better the Skinner ever did. Not every damn game is a lesson, just stop the damn puck once in a while. This isn't the Cup-winning Vegas Knights or the Avalanche onslaught offense, this a team getting less than 20 shots and a handful of high danger chances per game. You were supposed to do the bare minimum of your ****ing job and play average. Now get out of the way for Pickard.
Skinner also said lesson learned after his game one collapse. He’s a total joke at this point. Disgusting that he alone is killing prime McDrai. If he starts tomorrow Knob is a knob.

The other possibility might be that they played Pickard in the 3rd period as a warmup to playing in game 4.
I hope and pray you are correct

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
What's hilarious, I got endlessly mocked by people like @Stoneman89 for wanting to trade Kane before the season started because he isn't the player he used to be. It was argued "he will turn it on in the playoffs, you need him in the playoffs" where is he? Outside of the 1 game in LA- he has been a ghost

I said Nurse and Ceci were a disaster (like many on here). I said Foegele should have been moved. These players are what they are. Quite a few folks on here mock analytics but they show trends that you can draw conclusions from. This list doesn't surprise me at all.
What a load of bullshit. Kane has been good in the playoffs so far. He hasn't lit the lamp as much as we'd all like, but he's been physical and had the Kings chasing him around for most of the series. Hit some posts but created. And all with a sport hernia that will likely need surgery in the off season. He hasn't been the problem at all. But sure, let's trade him for some prospects and picks when we're trying to win a cup now. Funny how quiet and ghost-like you were about him during the Kings series.

You said Nurse and Ceci were a disaster and Foegele should be moved. What a genius, no one else on here has said that or thought of it.

Last edited:

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He's clearly banked on just being big and letting the puck hit him. Problem is he never challenges a shooter and more often than not, when puck goes in, he's completely on his knees, halfway in the net.
This is Schwartz’s MO. Rely solely on positioning, no desperation moves to get out of position. The tenth clue Schwartz is as big of a snake oil salesmen as they come was Smith bringing in his own goalie advisor/coach whatever you want to call him to work with that corrected some issues he was having.

The rumors gotta be true he has a job for life if he’s married into the Katz family. He couldn’t cut it as a university goalie, makes sense he’s coaching NHL goalies to suck the smelly brown eye like he did in net.

Reactions: frag2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Skinner is so toxic right now. Nobody wants to see him anywhere. I can’t help but laugh at that company that recently put him in a commercial. Not only that but he looks like such a douche in that commercial. I’m sure they’re having buyers remorse on that one, lol.
Is the commercial still on? I retched when I saw it. Yeah, looks like a douche.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
After hearing Skinner's comments today, that he got "caught up in the emotions" just screams that he can't handle the pressure. He just said it. For him to say "he'll learn from it"- isn't something you snap your fingers and all of a sudden you can handle pressure. It takes time and tools required from talking to someone (a trained professional). If I was coach- that's a clear sign of your player telling you it is too much. You cannot play him. He isn't going to be better. The media needs to stop saying he will.
Is that Pickard's entrance music I hear playing ?

Reactions: guymez

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
There is no sensible reason to start Skinner. What are the chances Pickard loses his mind like Skinner does? I don't know, but Skinner has been awful in the playoffs a couple times now. Start Pickard. Win or lose I bet he gives you .900 sv%
That’s what I’m thinking too. Pickard might be fine under pressure. He hasn’t played much playoffs in his whole career. Maybe at his age he’s able to hit an extra gear and just be an average goalie, that’s all we need.

Next season we absolutely need a veteran goalie that has some good playoff experience.

Reactions: Mav3rick07

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You're bang on with all of this, but one thing to add that is completely in our control - we stopped moving our f***ing feet again the moment something bad happened (PP GA). Stopped playing, again.

One thing I look for that is a "tell" for our overall game - are the d men moving their feet when we get the puck, and are they passing while in motion or standing still? Out of all things, this is the one thing that dictates our ability to play a quality game 5v5. When they're moving our breakouts are fast, crisp, and de-risked. When we are still we allow the opposition to set up and basically wait for us to ice it or turn it over. We had our feet in the first 10, then decided to not after that.

There is one guy I've seen in my life that could hit break out passes with any consistency standing still and that is Chris Pronger. There are some good passers on this defense, but none of them are Pronger, so they need to recognize when their feet are still and make a change.
This is a very good point.
The one thing about the Canucks that I was very concerned about was their big physical (mean) defence.
It appears now that was a valid concern. especially when that size is balanced out with a very high quality mobile dman in Hughes.
So how do the Oilers combat that?
Certainly not by trying to be meaner or more physical but by making their defence uncomfortable. Getting them out of their comfort zone. Make them chase you.
They do that by doing exactly what you outlined in your post.
They move their feet.
They initiate the play with a heightened sense of urgency. Make the canucks react to the pressure just like in game 2.
They play on their toes.
If they do that and play good defences and get average goaltending...they should win IMO.

Last edited:

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
What a load of bullshit. Kane has been good in the playoffs so far. He hasn't lit the lamp as much as we'd all like, but he's been physical and had the Kings chasing him around for most of the series. Hit some posts but created. And all with a sport hernia that will likely need surgery in the off season. He hasn't been the problem at all. But sure, let's trade him for some prospects and picks when we're trying to win a cup now. Funny how quiet and ghost-like you were about him during the Kings series.

You said Nurse and Ceci were a disaster and Foegele should be moved. What a genius, no one else on here has said that or thought of it.
Kane hasnt been good this playoffs. He played good one game. What has he done since? I gave him credit for that one game, replying to a post you made mentioning me- I said he played well. No- the kings weren’t chasing him around. That was one game. He has been shit this playoffs outside that game.

I said Nurse and Ceci needed to be gone after Colorado. I said Foegele isn’t a playoff player before the playoffs started. You’re awfully defensive being called out but had no issue mentioning me when Kane had a good game. Difference is I had the balls to say he played great. You can’t seem to do so. You’re alone on the Kane island right now- just because you can’t say you were wrong.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad