Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
The prime culprit on the third goal is Foegele but Boeser was still behind Nurse and Ceci for a free chance to score. And as I said they’ve been heavily in the negatives in their metrics every single game this series. It’s actually baffling that we keep going to this pairing year after year.
yeah, Nurse's fault Foegele is brain-dead

man you are stretching

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
curious why we dont go 25-73 and 27-5, if the argument is nurse sucks cause ceci sucks then let him be good without him.....we know he wont but still worth a change

WEMCHUD

Oct 28, 2014
The wrong goalie got sent down. This is what I had said in real time. Campell was scapegoated so that the org could continue to ride Skinner and without distraction.
As awful as Campbell was at the start of the season, his numbers were still better than skinners. But I guess the thought was everyone was worried that skinner would get claimed whereas Campbell would clear waivers.

Reactions: iCanada

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
because they're not playing good...I've said that
you trying to steer the narrative to "it's on the defense!" is hilarious

Skinner is getting beat by a 3rd stringer...again...for the second consecutive year

Youre arguing with one of the most obtuse and absurd posters on HFOil. Probably best to just move on.

Reactions: booyakasha

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
It was a comedy of errors. Bad puck retireval, horrible foegele giveaway and then nurse/ceci going to the same guy. Pretty pathetic by everyone involved.
Not really anyones fault but Foegle. I can't stand the Nurse/Ceci pair but a tape to tape pass up the middle with full control....there's only 1 person to blame here.
Trying to disect it into something more is reaching

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I feel worse. With average NHL goaltending we win this one handily, granted a lot of that is the score effect.

It's funny because even if we're slightly below average, probably a good chance we win, like 60% chance.

Skinner is like worse than just 'below average'.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I'm not going to bother watching if the Oilers start Skinner next game. Got better things to do like spend time with my 2 month old
Yep. I'm done watching if Skinner plays....my heart can't handle the stress of thinking every single shot will go in.

Reactions: Canovin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The f***ing kid gloves Skinner is treated with is hilarious. It's pro sports, team doesn't want to make him available, he should say "f*** that, it's my job to own this". You're paid pretty f***ing well to play a sport and part of the job is talking to the media.

Baby soft handling of this f***ing moustache.
If you read his backstory everybody in the hockey world he's come across is helping him along. The Kid gloves. Not only that but look for all the quotes from hockey people that profess they really believed in Skinner, knew he had the stuff, all the tools, and that he was unlike anyone else.

Well, one could say thats good. Except that its not at all impartial. All the help Skinner got, and always, was at the expense of other goalies in his path, and he did that through cornering relationships and charm. That hockey people were convinced that Skinner was the most motivated to become an elite goalie is bizarre. he didn't even train seriously, by his own account until much too late. "I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs" said Skinner. "I was lazy, I never trained, never took it seriously"

This same goalie convinced so many hockey people that he was working harder than anybody else.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Picture draisaitl getting two of those chances and not scoring on either.

I know it’s a difficult concept cause you’re not used to it and you’ve been conditioned to shit goaltending, but a goalie can make a save from time to time. Not every grade A chance is automatically in the net.
Not every goalie is equal. Skinner isn't physically even capable of making the many stops Silovs did, and the variety he did, and the stretching stops he did, and the moving across saves he did. Lets stop pretending.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
in the La series we saw Foegele throw 2 pass to absolutely no one. Just empty ice. In this series we’ve seen 2 weak passes in our own zone. Dude can’t execute in the playoffs. Hasn’t been able to for 3 years running now.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
It's funny because even if we're slightly below average, probably a good chance we win, like 60% chance.

Skinner is like worse than just 'below average'.
Stuart Skinner is officially in 'Dan Cloutier' territory.
Starting Pickard is pretty much the same as the Canucks going with Alex Auld in 2004.

Even if he gets lit up, we can't ever go back to Stu. There is a very good possibility he's likely played his last game as an Oiler.

1715618033447.png

Reactions: frag2

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
well sivlovs was in the ahl cause of demko and desmith, campbell was in the ahl because of himself
Not exactly. He had better numbers than Skinner when he was sent down- it was his contract

Stuart Skinner is officially in 'Dan Cloutier' territory.
Starting Pickard is pretty much the same as the Canucks going with Alex Auld in 2004.

Even if he gets lit up, we can't ever go back to Stu. There is a very good possibility he's likely played his last game as an Oiler.

View attachment 869923
I doubt we have seen the last of Skinner. He will likely play next game. Knob is ultra-conservative in his choices and doesnt like to get people upset. He doesn't want to upset Ceci or Skinner.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'm always leary about self-help stuff and people looking for and clinging to such often case to solve things. That's a bit of my skepticism frankly that it was a big part of the Skinner mythology as his story unfolded. And it is a big story because firstly a guy pegged to onboard as an NHL back-up and establish himself over seasons as a good #2 had to rocket up his game to a go-to #1 when Campbell melted down quickly into an early first season sabattical. Secondly he's a hometown kid done well and at this critical time and in answering this team's longstanding issue. Thirdly a success for an organization that has botched its goaltending through a ten year cycle of ineffective drafting and development and reliance on trying to re-purpose old, broken down goaltenders.

There's been lots of sunshine to report on. But the hard stuff has landed in a results driven business. He's not delivered the average goaltending low threshold this team has asked of him here in money time.

I personally don't think there are any falseness to Skinner. Just a guy still trying to hard to hold onto a slippery belief system fostered by an external medium within the hottest seat on the hottest flame of expectation of a team starting to burn through the daylight of a short window to achieve ultimate success. Well intended guy but shit is now fully real.

EDIT: My own impression (and we don't have access to any of these people to truly know) is of more naivety, almost an innocent wonderment with his viewpoint of life, humble and open book versus how you perceive him. Deep down the rabbit hole here. Hope he can stabilize himself after what I expect will be a back-up role for game 4.
Whether one calls it falseness or not, skinner manufactures a persona life story for anybody that will listen. From what I've heard in direct quotes of him, others, he certainly wins people over. He has the charm and manufactures that to do it. He convinces people that he works harder than anybody else and will do more to be good in the show than anybody and yet also has divulged he hadn't even taken training seriously until not many years ago. "I couldn't climb a set of stairs" "I didn't train, I was lazy" . All these comments are there but Skinner convinced hockey people, and still does, that he's more worthy of getting the prize, the starters prize than anybody else. He manufactures this belief in him in other peoples minds. That doesn't come along by accident.

As I said elsewhere people could respond "well its great people believed in Skinner, whats the problem" The concern is in relation to Skinner, to other goalies, he's always been able to charm his way to the inside track. Even when it wasn't deserved, earned or that he had the acumen or experience for it. He convinced a whole org he was going to be their guy.

Meanwhile a punter like me could spot the numerous holes in his game his skill deficits from the first times watching him. It was so apparent. This guy is really good at fooling people. That comes at the expense of other goalies that perhaps were just as deserving of the chances or maybe more deserving. Skinner is here because he's good at selling himself. Too bad he isn't as good at being an NHL starter, and too bad he didn't his passion earlier on. He got serious about goaltending too late. far later than elite goalies generally do.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
curious why we dont go 73-25 and 27-5, if the argument is nurse sucks cause ceci sucks then let him be good without him.....we know he wont but still worth a change
when the Oilers did do that- both 73 and 27 saw a huge hit to their defensive metrics. Instead of Nurse/Ceci bringing each other down- they brought 73-27 down as well- so now you have 4 d men that needed sheltering. 73-27 has very good numbers as a third pairing.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I doubt we have seen the last of Skinner. He will likely play next game. Knob is ultra-conservative in his choices and doesnt like to get people upset. He doesn't want to upset Ceci or Skinner.
If that's the case, can this coach asap also, the sport is a business, in succeeding, not about caving in because you're worried about hurting someone's FEELINGS who is making Millions in pro sports ffs. Imaging if we had someone like Torts in charge, just how different the philosophy, identity of the team would be

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
If you read his backstory everybody in the hockey world he's come across is helping him along. The Kid gloves. Not only that but look for all the quotes from hockey people that profess they really believed in Skinner, knew he had the stuff, all the tools, and that he was unlike anyone else.

Well, one could say thats good. Except that its not at all impartial. All the help Skinner got, and always, was at the expense of other goalies in his path, and he did that through cornering relationships and charm. That hockey people were convinced that Skinner was the most motivated to become an elite goalie is bizarre. he didn't even train seriously, by his own account until much too late. "I couldn't even go up a flight of stairs" said Skinner. "I was lazy, I never trained, never took it seriously"

This same goalie convinced so many hockey people that he was working harder than anybody else.
Explains how unathletic he is and unable to even move an inch laterally. He's not a born athlete and never did the work to evelate his athleticism in any way, and here we are.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad