Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Skinner is the biggest of several problems with this team: the bottom 9 have been absolute passengers this series, the defense is trash after the first pairing, they have a chronic, maddening, team-wide inability to clear their zone, they seem to lose almost every 1on1 battle along the boards, they play an incredibly passive PK, they have to be down a goal or two before they can be bothered to play with any urgency, and they have a coach that is incapable of recognizing when the goalie is clearly about to shit the bed. This team is capable of playing at a very high level, but everything has to be firing on all cylinders for that to happen.

As far as Skinner is concerned, he is what he is: he peaks at average when he’s playing his absolute best. That’s literally the best he can deliver, and he’s not seasoned or experienced enough yet to deliver it consistently in high pressure situations. It is what it is. That said, some of the rhetoric in this thread is getting ugly. IMO, that anger should be primarily reserved for the muppets who put the team in a position to rely on a goalie to deliver more than he’s capable of delivering. Holland should be fired into the sun for not improving the goaltending after last playoffs (among so many other things) and Knob needs to be smacked upside the head re: his inability to recognize when it’s necessary to pull a goalie that is clearly fighting the puck.

I don't disagree but Skinner deserves a lot of the anger.

The guy is one of the worst playoff chokers that has ever put on the sweater.

It's not his fault that he isn't the backup, for sure. But he looked like he might actually f***ing turn the corner after a good season, and here we are again, 2nd round being pissed away largely by one player setting the tone game after game.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Agreed, Pickard has over delivered. This is an existential organization failure when it bet its window years on a 5 year $25 million lottery ticket on Jack Campbell. I'm actually amazed that Skinner has performed, regular season wise, as well as he has as rookie and young goaltender. But I fear Skinner's brain is now cooked from this pressure cooker playoff hard reality. Especially when the opposition has a raw, third depth chart guy delivering more stable and reliable goaltending.

Oil are in the fight here. Just need average goaltending. Pickard's a solid pro with enough miles to maybe be the guy to stabilize this significant team weakness right now. Seems clear to me that Knoblauch has decided on Pickard for Game 5 and then all bets are off for the game after.
Hopefully for game 4 as well. ;)

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Thats a good point.
The other thing is that they have the size/meaness on D to take away space and time and also punish the Oilers forwards as well. Myers and Zadorov are tough to play against and one of them is on the ice for most of the game. Soucy is a big Dman as well...plays tough too.
Tochet doesnt have to worry about whether or not one of those 3 players is on the ice against McDavid either.

Skinner does have to be better though and they also need to get more bodies in front of Silovs.
He is a battler.
The Canucks made a hell of a pick getting him at 156th overall.
This looks like a systems 'win' to me. Similar to Vegas protecting their depth goaltenders all last season and into the playoffs. More so than this guy being elite. Canucks d are stacking the middle, playing hard and physical, and as a team are committing to block shots. They are sacrificing within their system and for a coach that's inspiring work rate and sacrifice. Oil team d has been too passive, soft and loose on Canucks still.

Skinner's cooked. It'll be Pickard for game 5 and then they will evaluate based on result.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Thats a good point.
The other thing is that they have the size/meaness on D to take away space and time and also punish the Oilers forwards as well. Myers and Zadorov are tough to play against and one of them is on the ice for most of the game. Soucy is a big Dman as well...plays tough too.
Tochet doesnt have to worry about whether or not one of those 3 players is on the ice against McDavid either.

Skinner does have to be better though and they also need to get more bodies in front of Silovs.
He is a battler.
The Canucks made a hell of a pick getting him at 156th overall.

He is absolutely going to get dismantled next round.

Well, maybe not, because Dumbko will be back long enough to see his team out, I'd guess.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Another floater who flies under the radar. The roster is just full of nothing players.
Nurse is -6 through 8 games now and Ceci is -8

That to me is the biggest story of the playoffs so far. I kind of expect them to suck and I’m still surprised how bad it is.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
But there’s a difference between giving up a scoring chance to Derek Ryan and Brock Boeser. Imagine Nate MacKinnon in that spot. You think he will be getting stopped?

Ok fine Leon got in clear for 2 breakaways. Couldn't get it done either time. I remember last game the first goal 11 million dollar man Elias petterson scored. Skinner over committed so hard is so hard I said those the chances Connor Brown dreams of.

You need to realize the same Ryan and Perry chance goes in on Skinner and "where was the defense" remains a question.

There is a reason he's likely not starting next game.

Reactions: iCanada

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't disagree but Skinner deserves a lot of the anger.

The guy is one of the worst playoff chokers that has ever put on the sweater.

It's not his fault that he isn't the backup, for sure. But he looked like he might actually f***ing turn the corner after a good season, and here we are again, 2nd round being pissed away largely by one player setting the tone game after game.

If it was 4 goals on like 40 shots, I get it

But what was it, 15? Skinner is the worst.
Nurse and Ceci are bad but they don’t play 60 mins.

Skinner is usually on the ice for 60…or 57 when we have to pull him for the last 3 mins

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
AHAHAHAHAHA Dan Cloutier is the only goalie with 20 or more playoff games who didn't play in the 1980's who has a playoff sv% worse than Skinner. WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW.
I remember back early 2000s he'd let in 7 a game Vs the wild or something. So yeah apt comparison with Skinner.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Absolve what? We needed more saves on some of the high dangers we gave up. Tip shot on the PK, 2 wide open slot shooters with time and space, and jam play on the PK. One or two of those you’d like a save which I said in the GDT. Which Knob also said in the presser. Needing saves isn’t the same as letting in softies though, there was no concrete softies in this game. In games 1 and 2 there were, as I noted.
Yay!. no "true softies" allowed in this game. Even if its disputed. For instance another sailing point shot that got through Skinner even though he saw it. Silovs at the other end made that stop 10 times and look easy.

The reason I'm going at these posts is your defense of the goalie is unconditional. Even while concluding he shouldn't get another start you're still using talking points defending him.

heh. maybe it me. I need more time to be reading posts that even remotely say "at least there were no true softies tonight" Thats like having a starting expectation of next to absolute zero Kelvin. ;)

I'll stop now. Damn its Sunday. I shouldn't start drinking on Sundays. heh

McIce Whole

Jan 7, 2008
Edmonton
The unfortunate reality is with skinner as our starter, Canucks will squeeze us out in 5 maybe 6 if we’re lucky. He’s just so f***ing bad in the playoffs and it’s evident once again.

Reactions: Oilhawks

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This looks like a systems 'win' to me. Similar to Vegas protecting their depth goaltenders all last season and into the playoffs. More so than this guy being elite. Canucks d are stacking the middle, playing hard and physical, and as a team are committing to block shots. They are sacrificing within their system and for a coach that's inspiring work rate and sacrifice. Oil team d has been too passive, soft and loose on Canucks still.

Skinner's cooked. It'll be Pickard for game 5 and then they will evaluate based on result.
Good points for sure.
The Canucks are playing balls out for their coach. Having better depth helps them as well.

As for Skinner...tough to argue that.
Knoblauch has to make some adjustments as well.
Start the next game with Drai and Connor on sperate lines.
Possibly put in Stcher for Ceci. Maybe that will shake up Mr $9.25M a little bit.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
Several posters were saying that you "have to start Skinner in game 2, "not starting him just says you don't believe in him"

Where are those posters now.?

Yeah, won't say a peep on it now. Several posters after game one responded that theres already been enough runway NOT to trust Skinner. He's been bad in every game in this series. Not much of a surprise is it. Skinner has now been bad in 2/3 of his career playoff starts. its monty python level on inanity.
The problem is there is only one door with anything good behind it. We are getting the donkey door.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Agreed, Pickard has over delivered. This is an existential organization failure when it bet its window years on a 5 year $25 million lottery ticket on Jack Campbell. I'm actually amazed that Skinner has performed, regular season wise, as well as he has as rookie and young goaltender. But I fear Skinner's brain is now cooked from this pressure cooker playoff hard reality. Especially when the opposition has a raw, third depth chart guy delivering more stable and reliable goaltending.

Oil are in the fight here. Just need average goaltending. Pickard's a solid pro with enough miles to maybe be the guy to stabilize this significant team weakness right now. Seems clear to me that Knoblauch has decided on Pickard for Game 5 and then all bets are off for the game after.
Game 5? How about the next one?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I’m not trolling, I laughed at a post and that apparently got you upset.

What have I said that is unreasonable?
You are a Canucks fan...correct?
Explains the laughing emoji for a post that highlighted a dirty play.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
you will never win if you have to beat the refs and your own goalie.
I don't even think people should be crying about the refs. The refs will never be good in this sport they just f***ing suck plain and simple and have zero consistency. Sometimes it goes against you and sometimes it goes for you.

All the blame should be funnelled toward this awful fraud in net and the other frauds who disappear as soon as playoffs start.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Good points for sure.
The Canucks are playing balls out for their coach. Having better depth helps them as well.

As for Skinner...tough to argue that.
Knoblauch has to make some adjustments as well.
Start the next game with Drai and Connor on sperate lines.
Possibly put in Stcher for Ceci. Maybe that will shake up Mr $9.25M a little bit.

Ceci has pictures of somebodies wife. He was the biggest weakness going into this season

Reactions: oobga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad