Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Fine you got me. I thought skinner should have started game 2 I’ll go punch myself in the face now for being a complete love of shit and costing this team the cup by backing its players.
lol. I wasn't singling anybody out. Several people said it. Its just weird that people need more track to determine that fundamentally Skinner is a disaster in net against any level of opponent talent and focus. Show him playoffs and he's a complete fold. This was pretty obvious last playoffs.

Any talented scorer, Kempe, Marshessault, Boeser is solving Skinner on half their shots. This isn't even news.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
The second goal Boeser had an eternity to pick his spot. That wasn’t Warren Foegele he was facing.
Yes because Stu goes down has a cup of coffee and Brock can just beat him clear where he isn't.

Even sportsnet has been calling out his only move is going down hoping the puck to beat him. It's koskinens glove hand all over again.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
it's funny to me that the topics are wide open now but during the offseason, when there was ample time to clear many of the hurdles the Edmonton Oilers faced, the topics were 100% verboden

Drai Fi

Sep 17, 2019
I’ve been a Skinner defender all year and I know he can be a good goalie in this league, but he’s not that right now.

Pickard HAS to start Game 4. He doesn’t even need to be great. .900 goaltending has us up 2-1 or maybe even 3-0 in this series. What does it say to the other guys in the room if Knob just throws Skinner out there again? May as well be throwing up the white flag.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Yes because Stu goes down has a cup of coffee and Brock can just beat him clear where he isn't.

Even sportsnet has been calling out his only move is going down hoping the puck to beat him. It's koskinens glove hand all over again.
Again, maybe not giving great players elite scoring opportunities is an idea to consider. He could’ve done a pirouette with his stick outstretched and not hit an Oiler.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
There was definitely some bad luck involved and some bad defensive breakdowns as well but, again, the Canucks also had some bad turnovers/breakdowns that didn't lead to a goal against. If this was just a one-off game then I would shrug it off but Skinner has been terrible in all 3 games, you have to make big saves occasionally to bail out your team and he continually struggles with that.

If you look at these 3 games, the Canucks haven't really produced that many high danger chances yet they've scored 12 goals in 3 games, the high danger save pct. in these 3 games must be all time bad because it seems like just about every one has gone in.

Anyway, season is on the brink of being extinguished to a team that has been very average and it could very well be the end of a very disappointing era that should have been so much better.
It has been 3 games of bad goals against and not enough big saves. Behind some pretty laughable defensive breakdowns too. However you want to parse out the blame, it’s clear we need a different look back there. It’s time to try the goalie carousel strategy that got the Avs and Knights to the Cup finals. Picks is up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean if Oilers players took 1/2 the shots that they give the other teams top goal scorers we'd be winning 10-4 everygame.

THe fact of the matter Skinner gets beat by players who have nothing but time and space to pick their spots and NHLrs don't miss often when given the chance
I agree with this.
These open uncontested looks are not acceptable. How many wide open uncontested looks in the slot did the Oilers get?
The Canucks always have bodies/sticks in lanes.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
Skinner shouldn’t and can’t play another game, you go with Pickard or Campbell. No point playing the guy you absolutely know isn’t the guy to get it done. There is nothing to lose by playing the other two guys, we know what we have in Skinner…

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm telling you, if Bouchard doesn't step it up the Oilers will lose this series. It won't matter who they have in net.

Hate the message all you want but I think you'll regret losing the series if Bouchard can't get his shit together, pronto.

Could say that about any 1 player I guess. There are a dozen guys that haven't done a single meaningful thing in this series yet. And a goalie that is letting in weak sauce every single game, and that has now melted down in 3 or his last 4 series.

I'm looking lots of other places for guys that need to step up for this to look like a team that could go 4 rounds. There is no 1 guy that will do it all.

Reactions: guymez

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
True. But 4 posts means we beat their goalie too but couldn’t find the finish. Skinner needed to come up with a big save though. Atleast one on those two breakdowns. Without breakdowns it’s not like he let in any true softies.
He has every game in the series. But what a continuing line of defense for the player. Heres an idea. You already said Skinner should be out. Just stay with that talking point. You might not have any idea how the rest of Oilers fans are enraged with Skinner. Including most of the fans at the rink.

The guy had 11 shots, 6HCSC and let in 4 goals in 40minutes. Not the timing to even attempt to absolve that.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The funny thing about pickard is he is the only goalie on this team who has done exaclty what has been required and expected of him.

Campbell has failed miserably and isn't even an NHL goalie anymore.

Skinner once again panics under the lights and is going to cost this team again.

Pickard was asked to come in "be the backup" and has an amazing record all year.
Agreed, Pickard has over delivered. This is an existential organization failure when it bet its window years on a 5 year $25 million lottery ticket on Jack Campbell. I'm actually amazed that Skinner has performed, regular season wise, as well as he has as rookie and young goaltender. But I fear Skinner's brain is now cooked from this pressure cooker playoff hard reality. Especially when the opposition has a raw, third depth chart guy delivering more stable and reliable goaltending.

Oil are in the fight here. Just need average goaltending. Pickard's a solid pro with enough miles to maybe be the guy to stabilize this significant team weakness right now. Seems clear to me that Knoblauch has decided on Pickard for Game 5 and then all bets are off for the game after.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Again, maybe not giving great players elite scoring opportunities is an idea to consider. He could’ve done a pirouette with his stick outstretched and not hit an Oiler.
Yes it was a bad defensive play being in that close.

It was a bad defensive play having Ryan in that close which silovs stopped. It was a bad defensive play that Perry got a second point blank shot off again. Which again silovs stopped.

There isn't some sort of perfect game where there are not defensive breakdown. Peak Tampa Bay had defensive breakdowns and Hedman would make bad moves. Difference is good teams have goalies that once in a blue moon can bail them out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad