Post-Game Talk: Gonna Stu on this loss for a while

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Series is far from over. We finish on half the 4 posts and it’s tied. We don’t leave Nucks wide open in the slot 3 times and we tie it. If reffing was fair who knows how this game turns out.

That said Skinner needed to be better. But there’s more to this game story than just that.
But the consistent theme is him not making saves in this series in particular. The Canucks haven't even played well in one game, they've done the bare minimum to skim by and have scored on pretty much every high danger scoring chance. This isn't the Avs running over Mike Smith or the Oilers getting shut down by Hellebuyck, it's an ongoing problem with Skinner. I'm also aware that there's a lot of passengers on this roster but when your goalie isn't making saves, it effects the entire team.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
When Skinner was coming in I said he can settle into a decent role but he just isn’t a big game guy. He doesn’t have that fight in him. Never has. He just doesn’t have that passion. Or second gear.

He is a guy who can put up okay to even good numbers on a team but when you really need that extra save, he really isn’t going to do it. Especially with the pressure.

Some guys get mad in losses like this and use that to fuel them for next game. Others just shrug and try again.

Giving they clown the reigns might cost McDavid two cups. Just absolutely unacceptable.

I just hope he doesn't get any more starts.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Series is far from over. We finish on half the 4 posts and it’s tied. We don’t leave Nucks wide open in the slot 3 times and we tie it. If reffing was fair who knows how this game turns out.

That said Skinner needed to be better. But there’s more to this game story than just that.
I meant it's over for Skinner (I wan't Pickard to get the remaining starts). Two playoffs in a row of absolutely collapsing indicates a bad head, which means the end of the line for an NHL goalie. Recently, only Pekka Rinne was able to maintain a starting NHL job while being clearly incapable of performing in the playoffs.

The Oilers played a fine game for the most part. With average goaltending, the Oilers are winning this game or taking it to overtime. Skinner has been devastating to this team in the post-season.

Lewy

May 26, 2011
The team is really lacking intensity it seems like. Bottom lines Can’t establish possession. Not getting in on the forecheck and laying the body. Turning pucks over.

Reactions: Morpheus

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Good players are going to get behind the defence sometimes. That’s why they are good players. The goalie needs to make a stop sometimes.

It’s crazy how you aren’t picking this up.
It’s crazy how you’re defending shitty play by Foegele, Nurse and Ceci.

And yet the team still managed to score 3 and limit the other team to 18 shots on net.

Panthers did the same earlier today and got the win.
Dang almost like they’re a better team than us. What’s stopping anyone else from stepping up?

NashtoNowitzki

Jan 8, 2019
Team will be a case study with time:

What happens when you are gifted a generational talent, flank him with another franchise-cornerstone forward at 18 & 19 years old respectively, but then hire the worst general manager possible in the universe, 2 times in a row?

I don't live in Edmonton so it's easier for me to say this, but i honestly wouldn't mind Mcdavid and/or Draisaitl leaving. It would be understandable and deserved. And it would be the last day of me as an Oiler fan. I would follow them wherever they go. What am I cheering for here? The team that trusted it all to Chiarelli and Holland? No thanks, I have more self respect than that.

Last edited:

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
you’re right, the Nurse/Ceci pairing is just fine. Warren Foegele has been fantastic. Corey Perry and Evander Kane are making a difference. Nuge is flexing his muscle. Every other part of the team is just humming along.

Skinner sure making a difference out there.

1715576077741.png

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country

The Oilers allowed three shots against in the third period and had 27 more shots against Vancouver than they had against us. There's really not much more to this story than Skinner losing us the game.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Dont be a moron...it is one thing to say he had a bad game but another to say he isnt an NHL goalie.....ya...how many non NHL goalies get a shutout in the playoffs or have top 15 wins and sv % in regular season.

The same guys calling to give the moon for Helleybuck who has a way worse sv % than skinner
Skinner had a top 15 s% in the NHL? I mean if you are talking JUST goalies with more than 41 games played, sure. But even then he was 18/29.
Wins are a team stat, judging a goalie based on wins is silly.
Out of playoff teams. Including the backups, so 32 goalies, Skinner was… 21st in s%

He is an NHL goalie, but a backup.
He has proven that for 2 playoffs now.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
That better be a f***ing suspension. Also hate that nobody stood up for him.

I don’t think he meant to do that, didn’t expect Zadorov to knock him down at the same time. Looked to me like he was trying to hit him in the upper chest. Would’ve liked more of a response though I agree

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

lololol

W know his response already. WE were seeing it on the bench with the same goofy stupid shit grin not giving a shit about anything. I was trying to focus and look at the blond but Skinners stupid look distracted me.

Its like a student that fails 2nd grade 3 times and its just " fail me again, who cares" but the teacher can't stand him and sends him to the next grade.

How did this fool get to the NHL? Oh, woodcrap

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Pathetic that he's not facing the music, again, and/or that the team won't allow him to. I was a fan of him not too long ago and was defending him left, right and center and now I feel like a fraud.
I'm going to be completely honest. He is mentally weak. This hilarious piece they did on his mental game and how he doesn't let things bother him is complete bullshit. Just because the guy has zero pulse doesn't mean he's mentally strong. People claim he always bounces back, but he doesn't. He hasn't bounced back much at all when the games have mattered. People claim the Oilers defence is bad, but statistically the stats never support it. They claim the grade A's they give up are ones that other teams don't, but that is hilariously inaccurate and you'd have to be living in a cave with only a feed to Edmonton games to believe that.

Skinner looks like he's playing scared every game. His confidence is completely gone. He's not attacking shots he's backing into his net and making himself small hoping the puck hits him. You can see it on every goal. He's not moving into pucks he's trying to close holes that will look like bad goals, but as a result is opening way more space for shooters. You could see it on the 2nd Boeser goal. He moves his blocker opposite of where Boeser shot. He's not reading the play or reacting to shots. He's hoping it hits him.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Does nuge hit? I've noticed oil dump the pucks in van dmen retrieve make a pass against boards and nuge goes out of his way to not finish a check.

It seems like the opposite tonight with even petterson finishing his checks.
Personally I'm wondering where the defense physicality is? Nugent Hopkins was credited with 2 hits ... that's 2 more than each of Desharnais and Ceci who checked in at 0. It's also 1 less than Nurse and Kulak. 1 more than Ekholm. Add that the Oil d only had 5 block shots.

Oilers d were very passive in front of a mediocre goaltender. Too much space and time early which set this game in motion.

Lots of players can be pulled out of the herd tonight. Oil were the softer, more passive team to a man.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
you’re right, the Nurse/Ceci pairing is just fine. Warren Foegele has been fantastic. Corey Perry and Evander Kane are making a difference. Nuge is flexing his muscle. Every other part of the team is just humming along.

Do you expect all 18 skaters to be great? That is an impossible ask. Every team is going to have some bad skaters. Like do you think Cole has been so good for the Canucks? Has Pettersson been any better than Nuge?

A bad goalie is just a way bigger obstacle to overcome. Nature of the game.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

2for1PizzaPastuh

Jan 13, 2023
can't believe how many Oiler fans Skinner fooled all year long, especially during that win streak. the guy was the beneficiary of a statistically top three defense in the league over that timespan playing against bottom feeders every night. nothing in his play has ever suggested that he's a changed goaltender. his tracking, awareness and movement have been just as bad as ever. this guy is a disaster.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad