Post-Game Talk: Gong Show!! Leafs win 2:1

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Really glad they held on, that would have been a highlight reel loss if they blew it. Regardless of the goals all being correctly called back, you are not going to live down losing a game where the opponent has 3 goals called back, fans throw trash at you, and you blow a late lead.

I watched the NJ feed and the commentators were pretty clueless about the rules and did a lot of whining, it's not surprising a lot of their fans are parroting the same thoughts.

Credit to the NJ players, they played HARD. That was a team that absolutely wanted that 14 game record and to push it as far as they could. It'll be interesting to see if they slow down a bit now that the streak has reset. They have 2 easy games next so will probably win those but defending a 2 game win streak just isn't the same as riding a 13 gamer.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
it looks like they banned most Leaf fans from that thread, meanwhile lunatic Devil's fans are running wild, shrieking about Leaf fans, defending throwing shit on the ice and at players, and getting insanely defensive about New Jersey the place.

I thought Buffalo fans were hyper defensive, but they don't hold a candle to Devil's fans...Devils fans are like a more hostile Sabres fan with roughly 30% more racism.
Yeah, posters are allowed to openly troll us on the mains and even in our on PGT after a loss, but we get thread banned for defending our team. Lame.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
b/c there is way too much Leafs trolling more than general (which is saying something) on the mainboards including devils fans. I just had to...

71znyw.jpg

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
It's good for business.

Think about how long those Matthews threads were allowed to remain on the main boards when he wasn't scoring as much to start the year.

Some poster started a thread linking a tweet showing just how bad Draisaitl's defence has been over the last 3 years and it got locked before it hit a page. And there wasn't anybody slandering anyone either. (You can thank Oiler fans who love to instigate and then run to mods for protection).

As for the posters on the main boards, they care about the Leafs more than they care about their own team. If they talked about their own team, nobody would care. Look at the page differences in threads involving the Leafs vs other teams, it's not even close.

They can hate the Leafs all they want but the team takes up permanent residence in their heads. Whereas leaf fans don't even think of Montreal, Edmonton or New Jersey unless we're playing them.
If been at HF for too long to not notice anti-Leaf stuff gets left alone. More pages of Leafs trolling and more frothers coming to look at it equals more ad revenue. Sad.

Leaf posters can go into another thread and say "good game" and get an infraction, while another poster can come here, give us the finger and be saluted for it.

Wow. I sounds like a Devils fan.

Reactions: Metroid

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
Yeah, posters are allowed to openly troll us on the mains and even in our on PGT after a loss, but we get thread banned for defending our team. Lame.
l was thread banned for telling PaulD "Never mind. You're a Habs fan. You wouldn't understand". The moderators are a bit sensitive, no?

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Well, that's just wrong!!! Next time they will throw even more debris on the ice. That delay of game penalty to the home team is in the books just like the puck over the glass is. It should have been automatic. A couple of things thrown on the ice, no problem, however 80% of the ice was littered, and our Leafs had to leave the visitors bench because the debris was hitting them too.
Lots of things in life are wrong.

What effect do you think handing the home team a penalty after disallowing their 3rd goal of the night is going to have on an already pissed off crowd?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Lots of things in life are wrong.

What effect do you think handing the home team a penalty after disallowing their 3rd goal of the night is going to have on an already pissed off crowd?
That shouldn't have been a consideration but man, they would have burnt the place down.
Remember too, last night was like a Friday in the US.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
21 games in and the Leafs somehow only have 5 losses in regulation despite awful injury luck and the offense not clicking at all. They've really stepped up defensively and gotten great goaltending from Murray/Samsonov
If the offense can regress back to the norm we could go on quite the heater. Hopefully it happens, I want the division title this year

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Maybe officials should be calling things according to the rules, and not according to whether it will make the home fans happy.
They did, that's what pissed off the crowd so badly. :D
That shouldn't have been a consideration but man, they would have burnt the place down.
Remember too, last night was like a Friday in the US.
Exactly. The safety of the players, officials, and crowd needs to be considered.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
My favourite one is how many posters say the ref's have "typical Toronto bias"

Like we didn't get a 5 on 3 called against us last year in game 6 off of bad calls + had a pick play called on a game 7 goal. They were reallllll helpful there

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, we were badly outplayed in periods two and three, but I think saying we won due to fluke happenstance is simply inaccurate. At best, one of those 3 disallowed goals was legitimate and should have counted (the first one), so even if that one other call went the other way this game still sees OT, which is largely a crap shoot, even if we’ve been lousy in them so far this season

Gutsy win by a battered D group and excellent performance by the goalie
I stand by what I had said. It was only some absolutely fluke that NJ couldn't score legit goals. With the amount they were out playing us we got lucky. 3 goals not counting is a fluke happenstance and I wouldn't suggest getting outplayed like that again for 2 damn periods and expect good results.

Can you at least acknowledge that our top 3 dmen are out and the effect that would have on any team, then consider we were playing the literal hottest team in the league?
Does it make you feel better when we get outplayed? Then sure. We are missing most of our top defenders. Gio is likely our best defender though. I wouldn't rank Rielly or Brodie or Muzz above him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Wholly moly we got a goalie baby!!!!!!! .. Murray was friggin outstanding man .. omg if he stays on this form without getting hurt I think we got a shot in playoffs .. in one of best/fasteat teams in NHL barn Murray decided to be a wall .. ride my back boys .. that is what you need to win payoff games .. game at 2-1 and 2 or 3 wow saves late with game on line .. Freddy and Soup do not survive da adversity and crowd noice and we lose .. thems da facts jack

Big shout outs to Holl, kids defenders and Mitch/JT .. best game I have ever seen Holl ever play .. and kids stepped up huge too .. Mitch fought hard and made tough plays (not soft plays) ..

What surprised me is how much better our team defense was without Rielly .. i need to see more games, and we will, but team looked more structured without Rielly .. there were no solo efforts skating up ice putting rest of guys in bad positions .. too bad we can't see this D core with Muzzy and Brodie healthy IN and Rielly OUT

Reactions: Gilmour1996

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
1-0 without the godly Rielly
godly???
And they must be mad too.
I heard inflamed enough to be irate!
The mental gymnastics some Devils fans are doing to defend the beer throwing is astonishing.
Almost like trying to say that Holl who played 25 solid minutes last night is the worst dog on the planet
I have no memory of the Leafs getting the close call 3 times in a row. Now they were the correct calls to be sure - it's just that I've never seen the correct call going the Leafs way 3 consecutive times. I now have an inkling of how a Bruins fan feels like or an 80's Oiler fan, or a 70's Hab fan.
I don't believe anybody in the modern NHL has ever had 3 goals overturned
Did not catch the game. Best lines this game?

What was good bad and ugly overall?
The best line was easily JT and Mitch, Robbie was on the LW most of the night and had some OK shifts but he looked like he was trying to find his way most of the night. I think if they give him at least 9 more games there he'll be on much firmer footing and be the player they want him to be.

Not sure if it was Matty or Will creating the situation but neither one of them seemed interested at different times, the both had some good shifts, but both had some ineffective minutes. Will was actually sat for a PP1 shift, and he didn't look real happy on the bench but then why would he!

The bottom 6 played some pretty effective minutes and did the job they're supposed to do.

Gio and Holl were the 1st pair with 24:43 and 25:03 respectively, Gio was credited with 6 blks and Holl 1 but it seemed like Holl actually had 3 blks so I'd say the Jersey count was a little light.

Hollowell was paired with Benn and while nothing stood out he didn't get overwhelmed and looked ok when Sheldon called his number. Benn went off for repairs in the 2nd and again in the 3rd in what Leafs are calling an UBI, he might be gone for a bit. TJ won't be back for another 2 weeks, Leafs are in a little bit of hot water, skating on thin ice, they have their backs to the wall and are facing dire straits!

Liljegren and Sandin had a couple of hiccups but both seem like they belong in the NHL. Sandin though I think is becoming the Swedish Justin Holl, the slightest error gets him roasted by a few posters. The kid just played in his 109th NHL game and he posted just over 22mins, not many young defenders can handle that many minutes with that little experience.

Murray had a very strong games considering he had 3 GA's waived off, the one that counted was a tip from a pretty obtuse angle.

Reactions: Obo and ZEBROA

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Wholly moly we got a goalie baby!!!!!!! .. Murray was friggin outstanding man .. omg if he stays on this form without getting hurt I think we got a shot in playoffs .. in one of best/fasteat teams in NHL barn Murray decided to be a wall .. ride my back boys .. that is what you need to win payoff games .. game at 2-1 and 2 or 3 wow saves late with game on line .. Freddy and Soup do not survive da adversity and crowd noice and we lose .. thems da facts jack

Big shout outs to Holl, kids defenders and Mitch/JT .. best game I have ever seen Holl ever play .. and kids stepped up huge too .. Mitch fought hard and made tough plays (not soft plays) ..

What surprised me is how much better our team defense was without Rielly .. i need to see more games, and we will, but team looked more structured without Rielly .. there were no solo efforts skating up ice putting rest of guys in bad positions .. too bad we can't see this D core with Muzzy and Brodie healthy IN and Rielly OUT
Interesting, I thought he played rather poor.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Not a lot of "grey" in your life huh ? (or humor)
There are grey areas for most things in life (something you should remember in your discussions about the Leafs), but this is a pretty clear-cut rule, and officiating should not be impacted by crowd reaction. Humour is abundant in my life, but humour should be funny, and I don't personally find much funny about dangerously throwing stuff at players and staff just doing their jobs. There should be consequences to discourage such actions.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
New Jersey fans appeared to be throwing garbage at the Leafs postgame celebration on the ice. There's a waste management joke in there somewhere.
Why does New York have all the lawyers and New Jersey have all the garbage dumps?

New Jersey won the coin toss.

(My son's a lawyer.)

Reactions: Mr_Fun

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Interesting, I thought he played rather poor.
To me the standard is at 6th/7th D in/out of lineup type guy .. last night he played safe D .. made some good calls on blocked shots, ate a few pucks on boards, flipped puck out a few times when no options available and stayed in his lane .. for me that is best I have ever seen him play

Reactions: Confucius

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
honestly there was nothing wrong with the callbacks... just insane there were 3 in one game
All three were absolutely correct calls, but you know that if it had happened the other way around there would be a few posters here blaming the refs.

Yes, really weird having three in one game, all to the same team. It almost makes me feel a tiny bit sorry for Devils' fans.

(Almost.)

(Not really.)

(No f****** way!)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad