OT: Golf/Tennis Thread

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was anyone else rooting for Federer today? I thought he actually came into the final as the favorite. Too bad that Djokovic won.

Serena Williams is absolutely amazing as well. She is so much better than everyone else. Its not fair. She still got an easy opponent in the final. I would've much rather seen Keys against Serena.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
When Joker plays like that there is just no margin of error for his opponent. A point here and a point there and Fed could have had him, but a couple of missed opportunities were enough to seal his fate. They were plays he could have made a few years ago, but he's definitely not quite as sharp as he once was (thus being stuck on 17 Grand Slam titles).

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
I really would love to know how a prime Fed (2006) competes against a prime Novak (probably this year, though maybe 2011). Maybe it's my bias, but I still believe that Fed from 2004-06 was absolutely untouchable by anyone in any era.

Obviously prime Rafa beats both on clay...but I'm actually not sure if Novak this year is better on clay than Fed was in those years? I might give him the edge, because he plays that defensive style and has the rock-solid two-handed backhand.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Prime Federer over Prime Djokovic, AINEC.

Now onto golf, DJ and Spieth once again playing well in a major. I think DJ is taking a lot of pressure off of Jordan with how the media is raving about Johnson's bounce back from Chambers Bay. Normally talk of a grand slam would be all the discussion and it was leading into the week, but DJ has certainly taken some of the attention and pressure off of Jordan.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Prime Federer over Prime Djokovic, AINEC.

Now onto golf, DJ and Spieth once again playing well in a major. I think DJ is taking a lot of pressure off of Jordan with how the media is raving about Johnson's bounce back from Chambers Bay. Normally talk of a grand slam would be all the discussion and it was leading into the week, but DJ has certainly taken some of the attention and pressure off of Jordan.

There's some validity to this... but Jordan is wise beyond his years... he's got a head on his shoulders. All you have to do is listen to his interviews with the media... he knows what he's doing. He has surrounded himself with good people and keeps his family close (especially his sister Ellie). The kid is the real deal and he'd be able to handle this without DJ. He's a gamer... no matter what he's doing on the range or practice green, he's ready "when the puck drops"

Dustin on the other hand has shown a tremendous amount of resiliency after the devastating loss (yet another in a long line of devastating losses) and is talking the talk and walking the walk. The question becomes, is he setting himself up for another heartbreaker here or will he come through?

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I aced the #3 hole today at Mill River PEI . It was my 2nd hole in one in 2 years on my hometown course . We had the Big Break Golf Show here a couple of years ago and they filmed a season while here . This is the green and the pin placemnent ....I hit a sweet six iron for a bit of a draw and then a bounce and roll off the hills and into the cup....as planned LOL....! View attachment 83969 A lot of NHL guys find their way here in the Summer ....I have met Theo, Sakic , Sheldon Kennedy , Lindros and Mark Recchi , Gerard Gallant and many others out on the course in the last few years .

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
So close to history. I guess there's a reason why Palmer, Nicklaus and Woods , the three best golfers of the last 50-60 years weren't able to win the first three majors of the year either.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
So close to history. I guess there's a reason why Palmer, Nicklaus and Woods , the three best golfers of the last 50-60 years weren't able to win the first three majors of the year either.

It is sooooooo difficult.

Really it came down to one or two putts for Spieth. On #8 he blew it past the hole and off the green, makes double.

Misses par on #17.

The wedge coming up short on 18 was bad but not as costly as the other two holes, although everyone bogeyed 17 all week so that was almost a given.

The only reason he won the US Open is that DJ missed a 3 ft putt (sure anything could have happened in an 18 hole playoff, but that was a gift)

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
I had Dion Phaneuf , ex Leaf Darryl Boyce and AHL Heavyweight Brett Gallant & his bro Alex playing 2 holes behind me today . I never had a chance to chat with them unfortunately . LOL....not sure who was winning the money but the boys took 1200 off Dion earlier in the week at another course . I imagine they play skins at 100 bucks a hole ....peanuts for Dion .

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Glad I found this thread. Golf channel is one of my three go to channels on TV along with NHL Network and NBC Sports. I'm practicing and playing more regularly in the last three years after I got my kids into it (they are now 11 and 9). Love this sport!

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Glad I found this thread. Golf channel is one of my three go to channels on TV along with NHL Network and NBC Sports. I'm practicing and playing more regularly in the last three years after I got my kids into it (they are now 11 and 9). Love this sport!

The folks at Golf Channel appreciate you viewing ;) I'm sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
A win tomorrow for Jordan and he'll have had the best year in the history of major championships since they started to be contested. Jason Day is really good though. He will be tough to beat.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
A win tomorrow for Jordan and he'll have had the best year in the history of major championships since they started to be contested. Jason Day is really good though. He will be tough to beat.

Spieth would be the 1st player to win the 3 majors contested on U.S. soil in one year.

He is really special and is proof positive that this game can survive and thrive without Tiger Woods who has all but lost relevancy.

Day is a nice guy and is playing great, we'll have to see if he can close this time. He didn't show much on Sunday at the Open Champ or U.S. Open on Sunday.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Where do people stand on Kyrgios trash talk to Wawrinka?

I'm not as up in arms as everyone else. I don't like it, I think Kyrgios needs to grow up, certainly before I start rooting for him, but I'm not offended or outraged. I prefer my tennis players stoic - i.e., Fed - but it's sometimes nice to see players not so cordial on, or off, the court. Feistiness has been missing from the game. This wasn't the best avenue for that though, it was childish and embarrassing for Nick and he sounded like a 12 year old.

Nick is reminding me of early Andre. Like Andre, he's brash, often annoying and abrasive, and you either love him or hate him. Often, he acts ten years younger than he is. Occassionally, he acts professional and gives us a window into what kind of player and person he might become. Like Andre, he has time to grow out of it and gain the respect of the entire tennis world. I hope he chooses that route. He's 20 years old, he's going to do stupid stuff. All of this will be forgotten if he matures over then next several years.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
darko's countryman won. Jason Day is a tremendous golfer.

A little disappointed with the last two majors, but on reflection, two majors in a calendar year from the golfers I root for is good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad