Goldeyes thread

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
The Goldeyes won the first two, so Sunday's loss was not the "rubber match". Anyhow, they'll have a lot of games against Fargo this year.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I feel like the Goldeyes have got lost in the shuffle since the Jets came back. The Goldeyes beat at the Free Press was always a good read. Gary Lawless and Melissa Martin did a great job covering the team. There was time even a casual fan knew a few players on the team. Not so much these days. That said some of it their own making. Their website is terrible. The in stadium experince and presentation hasn't changed in 15 years. Not being on a radio station that matters doesn't help. It would be nice if they could get back on 1290 or 680.

Reactions: snowkiddin

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I feel like the Goldeyes have got lost in the shuffle since the Jets came back. The Goldeyes beat at the Free Press was always a good read. Gary Lawless and Melissa Martin did a great job covering the team. There was time even a casual fan knew a few players on the team. Not so much these days. That said some of it their own making. Their website is terrible. The in stadium experince and presentation hasn't changed in 15 years. Not being on a radio station that matters doesn't help. It would be nice if they could get back on 1290 or 680.

Now that's not entirely true. The in-stadium experience has changed quite a bit this year. :nod:

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
This is one of the best teams the Fish have had. With no Minor Leagues or Indy Leagues going this year, they have access to top-calibre players. I bought that on-line service and take in 2-3 games per week. The games look funny because, for example, they played in Chicago before a "sell-out crowd" of 1,400, because that's all the tickets they are allowed to sell.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Looks like the Goldeyes are done in Winnipeg. Today at City Hall the discussion of a lease agreement between the City and the baseball team stalled and was delayed again. Fish owner Sam Katz has signed a lease to put a baseball team in Ottawa and it looks like the Fish are gonna move there.

Very sad for me because I’m a huge Goldeyes fan and grew up listening to the games and going to them all the time. I really don’t want the last season to be this Covid nonsense. But at the same time Katz is a crook so I understand the city not wanting to do business with him.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Looks like the Goldeyes are done in Winnipeg. Today at City Hall the discussion of a lease agreement between the City and the baseball team stalled and was delayed again. Fish owner Sam Katz has signed a lease to put a baseball team in Ottawa and it looks like the Fish are gonna move there.

Very sad for me because I’m a huge Goldeyes fan and grew up listening to the games and going to them all the time. I really don’t want the last season to be this Covid nonsense. But at the same time Katz is a crook so I understand the city not wanting to do business with him.
Sam Katz can go f*** himself with a cactus! Cheap greedy prick wants a dollar a year lease.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Sam Katz can go f*** himself with a cactus! Cheap greedy prick wants a dollar a year lease.
Not just that. He wants to profit off the city owned lots by the stadium. He made over $500,000 off them in 2019 and yet claims the Goldeyes lose money some years (without backing it up). It’s basically legalized corruption at this point. I’ll miss the Goldeyes and I hope someone buys the team (or brings another independent baseball team here) but Katz himself can kick rocks.

JetsCameHome

Sep 19, 2011
This is one of the best teams the Fish have had. With no Minor Leagues or Indy Leagues going this year, they have access to top-calibre players. I bought that on-line service and take in 2-3 games per week. The games look funny because, for example, they played in Chicago before a "sell-out crowd" of 1,400, because that's all the tickets they are allowed to sell.

On a side note this take didnt hold up well. They lost something like 12 straight games and missed the playoffs.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
The Twins should just move their AA affiliate here. They're already in a weird spot in Pensacola and they'd be a lot closer to home here.

Plus our park is adequate for AA crowds.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I guess Katz has milked all the money he can out of this city and now he is on to another city. With the ball park we have I am sure someone more reputable can bring a team here? Maybe True North will?
doesn't make sense. look at where the other teams are and what the travel schedule would require.
Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 8.23.24 AM.png

geographically, AAA makes sense, but the stadium capacity is around 11000.

Only thing that would make sense is if another team moves to Wpg. i would assume Wpg is more profitable and desirable compared to some of the US teams.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
listen....i'll get a bit personal here. my family has a long history with the Katz family, going back to Sammy's mom, who apparently was the sweetest person you'd find.
my personal encounters with Sammy were all positive, but they weren't business dealings. i'm well aware of Sammy's reputation, dating back to his old massage parlour thing and the Shindico crap.
i'll simply say this: on one hand, i get why Sammy moved the team. you're a businessman and your goal is to make money. if some dummy's throwing more money at you, then i can see why you'd move the team and turn your back on history, the community, etc. Sports teams relocate all the time, especially at the minor league level. On the other hand, the optics here are so f'ing gross. To be a mayor of a city and then relocate a team to another city? It's a really bad look.

there is a human behind Sammy Katz. but it's pretty sad to see profit put before community, especially a community that he was a significant part of for a number of years.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
doesn't make sense. look at where the other teams are and what the travel schedule would require.
View attachment 368563

geographically, AAA makes sense, but the stadium capacity is around 11000.

Only thing that would make sense is if another team moves to Wpg. i would assume Wpg is more profitable and desirable compared to some of the US teams.
Didn’t realize there’s a team called Jumbo Shrimp! That’s hilarious

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad