Post-Game Talk: Golden Knights 2, Penguins 1 - It's Lit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Oh right...you predicted that the top 6 even-strength scoring was going to dry up this season.

Just so you know, Sheahan is producing at a . 31 ppg clip, while your 4 million dollar boy Bonino is more than worth his salary producing at a .35 ppg pace, and only Fartsmell on that team has a worse +/-.

And please stop kidding yourself that only you and a handful of others were the only ones who wanted to keep Matt Cullen around.

I mean, I’ll go with Rutherford on this one.

Also, big difference between one goal against a goalie and what Bonino has done since returning from injury.

But, once again I’ll go with Rutherford on this one.

And this isn’t about Cullen, this is about overall depth issues that were clear on July 1st.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I’m just appreciative what this team did the last two years. They had to drain their tanks because that’s what it takes to win a cup, especially this past season.

I’m not mad at JR. I know there wasn’t any solid deals to be had this summer despite what others want to tell themselves. I know Crosby and Malkin wanted a guy like Reaves, so Jr did what he had to do.

Sullivan has tried all the combos I would have, he will figure things out IMHO.

Not mad at any players and I’m in no hurry to see any of them go. I don’t see quitters, I see a team that has shown us how big their hearts are already. They are just struggling and shit can snowball especially when all teams around the league want to bring it to them every night.

Maybe they need a shakeup, but I’m just not angry at anyone.. coaches, players or the GM.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m just appreciative what this team did the last two years. They had to drain their tanks because that’s what it takes to win a cup, especially this past season.

I’m not mad at JR. I know there wasn’t any solid deals to be had this summer despite what others what to tell themselves. I know Crosby and Malkin wanted a guy like Reaves, so Jr did what he had to do.

Not mad at any players and I’m in no hurry to see any of them go. I don’t see quitters, I see a team that has shown us how big their hearts are already. They are just struggling and **** can snowball especially when all teams around the league want to bring it to them every night.

Maybe they need a shakeup, but I’m just not angry at anyone.. coaches, players or the GM.

I can agree with this 100%.

I don’t think I’m even disappointed.

I’ll be annoyed with the ridicule if we miss the playoffs, but I’m ultimately a fan of the game. Be nice to see Tampa or St. Louis try to go all the way.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why would we trade our hardest working player? we need MORE players like him working hard, not less.
No one wants Horny gone. But if they're gonna move him around and render his production impotent because of it, what's the point? You're then effectively making sure he never re-signs. As it stands if I were him why the f*** would I bother?

Coach won't put you with Crosby where you are effective.
Coach won't put you with the 3c where you are effective.
Coach now plays you on your off wing where you aren't comfortable and you have no chemistry with that center as well.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I’m not mad at JR. I know there wasn’t any solid deals to be had this summer despite what others what to tell themselves. I know Crosby and Malkin wanted a guy like Reaves, so Jr did what he had to do.

Not mad at any players and I’m in no hurry to see any of them go. I don’t see quitters, I see a team that has shown us how big their hearts are already. They are just struggling and **** can snowball especially when all teams around the league want to bring it to them every night.

I have become convinced that last year was the finest of Sid's and Geno's careers. They WILLED a lot of **** to happen and emptied the tanks to make sure things never snowballed. They were why I went into last year assuming they'd need to do something decent sized over the summer and then during the season but was proven wrong. Ultimately, they couldn't do it this year as a result . . . and not having the type of nightly goaltending we had last year is a big thing too (Murray and Fleury stole a lot of games and Sid and Geno did enough to make sure it was just enough to win).

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Well said.

Considering what this team has accomplished the past two years, I can't get too mad at what's going on. It is frustrating, for sure, but then I just have to remember how much heart and will this team showed to achieve something most teams will never do.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Well said.

Considering what this team has accomplished the past two years, I can't get too mad at what's going on. It is frustrating, for sure, but then I just have to remember how much heart and will this team showed to achieve something most teams will never do.

Couldn't agree more and well said
We are frustrated as fans for sure cause we know what their capable of, but what they did the last 2 years is just WOW

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Well said.

I felt strongly they would struggle at first then hit a nice win streak in Dec and kind of take off from there. I guess there is still time for that to happen, but I am confident they will have that big streak at some point and make a push that will make their fans proud.

Maybe JR needs to hook up the jumper cables to restart their heart, but it’s going to start to beat eventually. Too much talent, heart and pride for me to think they will be off the rails all season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I felt strongly they would struggle at first then hit a nice win streak in Dec and kind of take off from there. I guess there is still time for that to happen, but I am confident they will have that big streak at some point and make a push that will make their fans proud.

Maybe JR needs to hook up the jumper cables to restart their heart, but it’s going to start to beat eventually. Too much talent, heart and pride for me to think they will be off the rails all season.

Problem is it's pretty evident that Sid and Geno can only WILL so much right now. Their bodies just aren't cooperating, and I think we're at the point where that happening spontaneously is the only way to get them back on track.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
So who's the most likely to be gone?

Sheary and Hagelin are both movable pieces, but neither will fetch much in return. Sheary moreso, but I'm willing to wager he won't be the centerpiece of a major move.

Kessel has the most points on our team. We have him on a good contract. For all his defensive warts, he's exactly what we've needed in a skilled winger.

Guentzel would fetch a nice haul, but he's the only winger I can think of that plays equally well with both Sid and Geno. He's also just coming off one of the most impressive rookie playoff runs of all time. No thanks - he should be a big part of our future.

Hornqvist is an impending UFA, yes, but he's exactly the sort of player we need more of, not less. That sort of shakeup would send the totally wrong message, not to mention leave us a gaping hole in net front presence and consistent effort. Hornqvist is the perfect winger for this team, and he should be stapled to Crosby's hip. I frankly don't care whether he prefers other partners - it's the best thing for the team and Crosby's play overall.

I don't see the organization moving on from Sprong after the year he's had, and ZAR and Johnson are way too young to deal, without knowing what we have in them. We already threw away last year's first, so I'm not too keen on dumping yet another.

Where does that leave us? Maybe Jarry or Gustavsson. Goalie might actually be our deepest position, believe it or not. DeSmith doing what he has has made one of the two expendable. If we move Jarry though, we'd need a backup coming our way.

Letang should be available, as should any of our defensemen. But if we lose someone there, we only create another hole. Maatta is the only one we might get fair value for, and he's arguably our best defender right now. Our defense isn't exactly airtight.

I don't know what the answer is, but JR has his work cut out for him. We need a change, desperately, but I'm not sure how we accomplish it. Definitely call up Bleuger and another WBS guy. Rowney and Reaves should be waived. We need new blood in the bottom six, that much is for sure.

Whoever mentioned canning Recchi, I'm on board with that. That was a suspect hire in the first place.

The whole team needs a wakeup call.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008

I’m not mad at JR. I know there wasn’t any solid deals to be had this summer despite what others want to tell themselves. I know Crosby and Malkin wanted a guy like Reaves, so Jr did what he had to do.

This is exactly how I feel. I think the only ones I'm made at are the idiots cheering for fleury over the penguins.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What I do not get is why most of the team can not connect on a basic simple pass. Why they go Harlem Globetrotters with no look drop passes and no one is close to where they are passing. Why they consistently try to pass across the clogged middle of the offensive zone past two or three opposing players and, inevitably, turn it over nine times out of ten.

I am not even talking about the usual suspects but pretty much the entire team.

Those are not conserve yourself issues.

Those are not protecting yourself from injury issues.

Those are not even laziness issues.

Those are coaching and practice issues. I asked several times this game what in the world they practice because rarely are any of them on the same page.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Problem is it's pretty evident that Sid and Geno can only WILL so much right now. Their bodies just aren't cooperating, and I think we're at the point where that happening spontaneously is the only way to get them back on track.

I don't think any of their bodies wants to do what they were doing in the spring.

Just a difficult mindset to get into during the regular season when sometimes you want to have actual fun playing.

This is exactly how I feel. I think the only ones I'm made at are the idiots cheering for fleury over the penguins.

MAF fanboys are an odd bunch... my brother is one so I don't even bring the subject up because he makes zero sense and we just end up yelling at each other and I end up wanting to beat his ass.

My bro would never root agt the Pens though like these other clowns.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't think any of their bodies wants to do what they were doing in the spring.

Just a difficult mindset to get into during the regular season when sometimes you want to have actual fun playing.

True.

And the thing people forget is what Sid and Geno were doing BEFORE spring. That's a decent reason why things didn't snowball last year like they are now (or typically do for a cup champ).

Alas, the price to be paid for that is what we're seeing now.

I don't know how JR properly shakes it up now without a heavy infusion of fresh blood.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
True.

And the thing people forget is what Sid and Geno were doing BEFORE spring. That's a decent reason why things didn't snowball last year like they are now (or typically do for a cup champ).

Alas, the price to be paid for that is what we're seeing now.

I don't know how JR properly shakes it up now without a heavy infusion of fresh blood.

I think he could move a combination of Maatta, Dumo, Sheary, Rust and a draft pick, and that would be a significant shakeup. All these guys have value, especially in conjunction with each other or a pick.

Again though, there is only a small percentage of moves that will make this team a threepeat champion and a plethora of moves that could end up not helping, or even setting them back.

Based on what I've seen, I'd be chasing a high end puck mover on the blueline, but I don't think he sees that as an issue unfortunately.

Reactions: KIRK

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

MAF fanboys are an odd bunch... my brother is one so I don't even bring the subject up because he makes zero sense and we just end up yelling at each other and I end up wanting to beat his ass.

My bro would never root agt the Pens though like these other clowns.

Or he hides it.

I think he could move a combination of Maatta, Dumo, Sheary, Rust and a draft pick, and that would be a significant shakeup. All these guys have value, especially in conjunction with each other or a pick.

Again though, there is only a small percentage of moves that will make this team a threepeat champion and a plethora of moves that could end up not helping, or even setting them back.

Based on what I've seen, I'd be chasing a high end puck mover on the blueline, but I don't think he sees that as an issue unfortunately.

This is the scary part.

As far as the high end puck mover, they’d be fine if their players stopped underachieving so badly. It would be nice like someone Duchene as the 3C would be nice. Which is what makes JR's job so difficult. They don’t need as many pieces as they look like they do unless some players on this team just suck now. If it’s players sucking the roster problems go from needing a great 3C and liking an LW upgrade to needing to overhaul everywhere.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Right now hasn't the value of all of these guys taken a real hit? How can you expect a trade that will work when you can not even get value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad