GDT: Gold Medal Game - May 26 - Canada vs Finland

Mountlaine

Feb 8, 2018
World Championships in Finland is a bit of a meme and it's a license to party and have a carnival if Finland wins. Torille (to the marketplace!) is a meme itself and Finns cherish it 100%.

Reactions: Koijari

Morokolli

May 27, 2019
My grandma is 96 too and she got really angry when my mom, while she was visiting her, was calling me at the same time when Finland’s game against Denmark was already going on. Grandma got really pissed off, so we had to finish the call quickly. :laugh: And yes, she also watched every single game in the tournament again. :)

Point being these people have experienced wartime and they get excited about this stuff.

Reactions: Ippenator

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
LOL. Love it. :laugh: Great! :D

It was dangerous times, but in at least one sense the clip is correct.

So many nations would have liked to trade that experience with Sweden's. If you just shift Sweden to Belgium, and the other way around, and the same with Finland. We would have no chance to not be involved. Our position on the map was very lucky.

Reactions: Stubu

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017

So many nations would have liked to trade that experience with Sweden's. If you just shift Sweden to Belgium, and the other way around, and the same with Finland. We would have no chance to not be involved. Our position on the map was very lucky.
I dunno, you had the terrible chocolate-crisis, right? :laugh:

Morokolli

May 27, 2019
Congrats to Finland. Some of you posters though need a reality check. This tournament, like the Spengler Cup is popular in Europe, and means more to Europeans. That is why guys like Malkin and Ovechkin go everytime they ask, and Canada's top players decline. It does not mean much to Canadians also.

Looking at the roster of Canada, only a couple of players might make Canada's Olympic team. If Canada had won yesterday, there would not be tens of thousands of people celebrating in the streets of Toronto or Ottawa. This tournament is a second-tier tournament, since it is not Best on Best. It is the same as the Spengler Cup for me. We win- that is great, if we do not- it is not the end of the world. That attitude is not the same for Europeans, who love this tournament like it is the Stanley Cup.

It is great hockey, but just because you beat Canada does not make you the Best. I am happy Canada got the Silver, since i thought this team would be lucky to make it to the Semis. Finland is a great hockey nation, but you can be the best when you win the Gold Medal or the World Cup.

European Championship title in soccer is a thing so we can live with this tournament being what it is, most came to win it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
How good is Liiga? They just knocked off 3 teams that would all be the best (or one of the best) team in the NHL over an 82 game season.

I like our ECHL goalie too ;).

Kevin Lankinen at eliteprospects.com

Indy Fuel for the win!

He had a MONSTER tournament and I would've never trusted him being thrown around like that between clubs this season and not having too many AHL games either. I know that he was good in Liiga before this season, but still what a great decision to even invite him to the camp. Maybe Jere Lehtinen isn't such a dumbass GM after all or who ever decided to invite Lankinen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morokolli

Morokolli

May 27, 2019

The big difference being that the Finns where armed and trained for it, more trained than armed in the start.
Being ready and willing to go is the most important thing when the time comes, 3,5 million Finns mobilized over 500.000 men and suffered some 100.000 KIAs.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Congrats to Finland. Some of you posters though need a reality check. This tournament, like the Spengler Cup is popular in Europe, and means more to Europeans. That is why guys like Malkin and Ovechkin go everytime they ask, and Canada's top players decline. It does not mean much to Canadians also

Thank you for your bitter tears. They go well with the salty tears of happiness I and half the nation have had from joy!
SPENGLER! gods...

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
I dunno, you had the terrible chocolate-crisis, right? :laugh:

Not so bad actually, we had blue yellow painted ships that the combatants let trough, Swedish transport lines were also some of the biggest in the world, and were hired by the Yankees to ship stuff in the Pacific Ocean.

But you are right, and funnily enough, Swedes became healthier as a result of the war. Better food, and less thoughts about own problems.

Morokolli

May 27, 2019
The interesting thing is that Swedes are fiercly nationalistic. I know, I am one of them. The problem is that it is based on Superbia. Officially a Swede would be ready to storm the heavens, and believe that they can create diligent people out of anyone, no matter where they come from.

That part of Swedish society is very dangerous, for the base is no longer in reality, but in a sense a throwback, to Carolean times.

Not all is bad though, but I think it is fair to say that Sweden and Finland might be two of the most extreme nations in the world.

'Nuff with politics.

This win was great - and I think a huge majority of Swedes cheered for Finland. I even bought 2 Lapin Kultas today for to celebrate.

Since beer has been mentioned: my favourite lager is Krušovice, the beer you can see on the sideboards, expensive for a macrolager, but hella better tasting.

For that matter, the Lapin Kulta was quite ok, seriously better than the cheapest macrolagers from Sweden. The cans I have seem to have been brewed in Lahti.

In the Caroelan times you had Finns, Estonians, Livonians and Germans being made "diligent people out of", so there could a corrupt analysis found behind the thinking.. :huh:

Try this, it is made in Torneå, by the original brewers where Lapin Kulta used to be made.

Reactions: Gobben

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019
In the Caroelan times you had Finns, Estonians, Livonians and Germans being made "diligent people out of", so there could a corrupt analysis found behind the thinking.. :huh:

Try this, it is made in Torneå, by the original brewers where Lapin Kulta used to be made.

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
There has to be movie of this. Hopefully better than than 95 one

I guess that Chewbacca actor would be playing Anttila then lol. Similar height at least.

Then you got the same Finnish actors in all the Finnish movies so it is granted that Aku Hirviniemi is playing someone. Probably Manninen or Ilomäki.

Morokolli

May 27, 2019
Latvia rocks. Riga is a beaut of a city. I'd softkill to have your Old Town. (Now brother Estonians got jealous so I digress.)

Riga used to be the largest city in Sweden 300 years ago, bigger than Stockholm, it was also full of Finnish speaking Livonians that are now gone.

Reactions: Loffer

Gobben

Jan 22, 2019

That's the big difference.

There is no analysis. Sweden is walking on its knees.

Ah, well this was a Finland hockey win, and we should celebrate it.

To steer away from politics... what about a Finnish Olympic gold?

Why not? Croatia has been in a WC final, in a much bigger sport, and with a similar amount of citizens.

Finland is a brilliant nation, just look at a guy lik Antti Törmänen - gopro - it is a feat that few Europeans have been able to do.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Im sick and tired of my countrymen coming here and always putting down the whc. it makes you look sour, bitter ans insecure, stop it. the whc is a great tournament. Finland is a great hockey nation, im happy for them, they have so much passion for the game. im from canada btw :) not all canadians are ignorant.

Morokolli

May 27, 2019
That's the big difference.

There is no analysis. Sweden is walking on its knees.

Ah, well this was a Finland hockey win, and we should celebrate it.

To steer away from politics... what about a Finnish Olympic gold?

Why not? Croatia has been in a WC final, in a much bigger sport, and with a similar amount of citizens.

Finland is a brilliant nation, just look at a guy lik Antti Törmänen - gopro - it is a feat that few Europeans have been able to do.

We are dreaming about best on best tournaments with this generation of players that are in and entering NHL soon, we dont dare to speak about it much to not offend the gods.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Congrats on beating Canada's C or D Team. There would not be tens of thousands of people in the streets of Toronto or Ottawa if Canada had won. Just the reality. A second-tier tournament, on the big ice, which matters to Europeans. Win the Gold Medal or World Cup for once.
Congrats on losing to Finnish F-Ö team there bud. Unreal how clueless some of you are. Also says much how lowly you are as hockey fans in the international level compared to Finns. Suck it up and move on.

Reactions: Ippenator

Morokolli

May 27, 2019
Im sick and tired of my countrymen coming here and always putting down the whc. it makes you look sour, bitter ans insecure, stop it. the whc is a great tournament. Finland is a great hockey nation, im happy for them, they have so much passion for the game. im from canada btw :) not all canadians are ignorant.

Thank you for giving us the best sport in world.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad