Book Feature Gold: How Gretzky's Men Ended Canada's 50-Year Olympic Hockey Drought (by Tim Wharnsby)

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
Hello there. This is Tim Wharnsby, a former sports reporter with the Toronto Sun, Globe and Mail, as well as Hockey Night in Canada. I've written my first book called Gold, an inside story on how executive director Wayne Gretzky, captain Mario Lemieux, Joe Sakic and Co. ended a 50-year Olympic gold-medal drought in 2002 at Salt Lake City.
This is Canada's forgotten excellent hockey team. There was no Paul Henderson goal in 1972 or Gretzky to Lemieux dramatic moment like in 1987. But there was tremendous pressure on this group after Canada flamed out in the semifinals of the 1998 Olympic Games in Nagano, Japan, the first time NHLers participated.
The tournament did not start well, but Canada persevered and prevailed through the calm, confident leadership from Lemieux, Sakic, Steve Yzerman, Al MacInnis, Rob Blake, Brendan Shanahan, Adam Foote, and others.

Thirty-five players, coaches, management team members and others like the late Pat Quinn's daughter Kalli, Trent Evans and Ian Leggatt shared their stories for the book. Evans was the man who planted the lucky loonie underneath the centre ice spot at the E-Center. On the same day Canada claimed gold, Leggatt won his only PGA Tour event and had an extraordinary tale to tell about that Sunday afternoon.

You can purchase the book at Amazon https://www.amazon.ca/Gold-Gretzkys...ds=gold+gretzky&qid=1645116514&s=books&sr=1-1 and Indigo https://www.chapters.indigo.ca/en-ca/books/gold-how-gretzkys-men-ended/9781629379241-item.html, but if you're inclined to support a small bookstore, Ben McNally Books is around the corner from where I live in the Corktown neighbourhood of Toronto. I will gladly walk the 267 steps to sign a personalized copy for you by ordering through [email protected].

After Canada survived a 3-3 tie in its third game against the Czech Republic, Gretzky was emotional in a postgame tirade to reporters. Canadian referee Bill McCreary was among his targets, who didn't call a Roman Hamrlik crosscheck on Theo Fleury late in the game.
McCreary's daughter Melissa was the target of some bullying from her classmates back in Guelph, Ont.

Here is an excerpt about a Gretzky-McCreary confrontation the next day:

McCreary had taken a call from his wife, Mary Ann, the day after Gretzky's postgame presser. The McCrearys' 12-year-old daughter, Melissa, was mocked and teased by her classmates at St. Paul Elementary School back in Guelph. Mary Ann was upset. Melissa was upset. Her classmates had labeled her dad a cheater.

One of McCreary's traits as an official was his tremendous communication skills with the players during the heat of a game. So he decided the best course of action would be to meet with Gretzky to let him know what had happened. McCreary glanced at the practice schedule that day, found out the time Canada had slated for its on-ice session, and waited outside the rink for Gretzky.

"I asked to speak to him for a moment," McCreary said. "I told him what had happened. I told him his voice carried so much weight. He didn't miss a beat. He offered to phone my daughter immediately to apologize and phone the kids at the school.

"His offer took me aback so quickly because I thought we were to have a confrontation, more than anything. I was ready for that. He probably wasn't ready for me. But his professionalism was amazing."
McCreary wanted to make sure he never accused Gretzky of calling him a cheater.

"He didn't use the word cheat or cheater," said McCreary, a Hockey Hall of Fame inductee in 2014, who also refereed the 1998 and 2010 Olympic gold-medal games. "But he wasn't happy with my work. He brought that specific play to the attention of the media.
"I just think Wayne was hot with the criticism in the media about the way some of the players had been playing, and he felt that Canada had been on the wrong end of some of the calls. He brought that up with the non-call on Theo.
"It was a very aggressive game. There was a lot going on. I don't know how many penalties were called, but not a lot. There was no question when you have a competitive guy like Theo things like that happen. I loved watching him play. He's a small man in terms of stature in the game but he played much bigger than most people within the game."
For his part, Gretzky still feels horrible about the angst his words inadvertently caused the McCrearys.
"I felt so bad," Gretzky said. "It wasn't him I meant to single out. He mentioned to me that kids in his daughter's school were picking on her. So I offered to call the school and talk to the kids to let them know it wasn't the referee's fault.
"I don't think I ever felt that bad after that. It wasn't personal. I was just trying to defend our team and our country. You get so emotional." There were a pair of happy endings to this episode. Not only did Gretzky exhibit remorse and grace with McCreary, but the referee was also at his best once again in the gold-medal game a few days later.
There were no complaints from either side. In fact, if you review a video of the gold-medal match, amid the on-ice mayhem after the game, Canadian head coach Pat Quinn can be seen seeking out McCreary to shake his hand. As the United States team waited for the medal ceremony, 13 players wearing the Stars and Stripes shook the referee's hand.
"As far as I was concerned there were 40 guys playing who I had refereed in the NHL before," McCreary said. "One team was in red and white and the other team was in blue and white."

gold_jacket_101321-jpg.509112

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for joining us.

Canada's forgotten excellent hockey team? I don't think it is forgotten on this forum, at all! Certainly a big moment for Canada to win a best-on-best tournament again after two consecutive failures (1996, 1998) that I think had triggered quite a bit of soul-searching and self-doubt.

Never heard the Gretzky-McCreary story before. Yes, it sure reflects nicely on Gretzky to react in such a way when he heard what happened to McCreary's daughter.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting, I think I'll pick it up from the bookstore this week. I'm curious if Ken Hitchcock was interviewed for this book. Over the years I've found that he's been pretty informative about that team. I remember that he described in various interviews some strategic tweaks the team made made, the size of the ice, also which players stood up and spoke at the key moments.

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
Hi JackSlater ... Ken was a very important part of the book. More than 35 people were interviewed. Of course, it would have been nice to gain insight from Pat Quinn and Wayne Fleming, but we lost them too early. Still, Pat's daughter Kalli, who was in Salt Lake City as an official with the Canadian team, was invaluable. And one of Wayne's closest friends, Dallas Stars head coach Rick Bowness, also helped out with the story telling.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
"I asked to speak to him for a moment," McCreary said. "I told him what had happened. I told him his voice carried so much weight. He didn't miss a beat. He offered to phone my daughter immediately to apologize and phone the kids at the school.

thanks for this teaser. a lovely story, among many others i’m sure.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Thanks for sharing this part of your book. What an extraordinary example of class by Gretzky. He handled the impact of his words perfectly. Didn't get defensive about that not being his intention, and instead made it right by apologizing to McCreary's daughter on the phone and calling the kids at school to put a stop to it.

I could see ways in which this team has been forgotten, even with them ending Canada's 50 year gold medal drought. For everyone who lived through these years, was Canada's gold medal drought a big deal prior to the Olympics becoming best on best in 1998? It's not like Canada stopped being the most successful country in the CC/WCH, the premier best on best tournament prior to 98.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks for sharing this part of your book. What an extraordinary example of class by Gretzky. He handled the impact of his words perfectly. Didn't get defensive about that not being his intention, and instead made it right by apologizing to McCreary's daughter on the phone and calling the kids at school to put a stop to it.

I could see ways in which this team has been forgotten, even with them ending Canada's 50 year gold medal drought. For everyone who lived through these years, was Canada's gold medal drought a big deal prior to the Olympics becoming best on best in 1998? It's not like Canada stopped being the most successful country in the CC/WCH, the premier best on best tournament prior to 98.

Losing two best on best tournaments in a row was viewed as a crisis. The 50 years without an Olympic gold medal gimmick was a nice round number for the media to cite but the pressure wouldn't really have been any less in a meaningful way if Canada had won an Olympic tournament between 1956 and 1994 inclusive.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Losing two best on best tournaments in a row was viewed as a crisis. The 50 years without an Olympic gold medal gimmick was a nice round number for the media to cite but the pressure wouldn't really have been any less in a meaningful way if Canada had won an Olympic tournament between 1956 and 1994 inclusive.
Makes sense that the hardcore fans and insiders with the team would be concerned about not winning the 2 previous best on best tournaments, while the media would use the 50 year gold drought as an attention grabbing headline. With this in mind, I can see how the pressure wouldn't have been any less if Canada happened to win an amateur gold from 1956-1994.

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
Don't forget, there was a summit on what was wrong with Canadian hockey in 1999. The women also didn't win in Nagano in 1998. Even the World Junior program, which won in 1990, 1991 and five straight between 1993-97 didn't win again until Sidney Crosby led Canada to the 2005 crown. There was a lot of pressure in the 2002 Olympics.

Reactions: LightningStorm

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Indeed. That’s why 2002 ranks 2nd for me, equal to 1987 and behind 1972.

Always enjoyed reading your work, Tim. Since way back in the day.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Don't forget, there was a summit on what was wrong with Canadian hockey in 1999. The women also didn't win in Nagano in 1998. Even the World Junior program, which won in 1990, 1991 and five straight between 1993-97 didn't win again until Sidney Crosby led Canada to the 2005 crown. There was a lot of pressure in the 2002 Olympics.

Losing the 1996 World Cup, 1998 Olympics, placing eighth at the 1998 WJC, and just seeing so few good young Canadian players had lots of people in Canada distressed about the state of Canadian hockey heading into that summit. No question the 2002 Olympic team had a ton of pressure.

Do you much in the book regarding Roy and his refusal to play in the 2002 tournament?

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
Indeed. That’s why 2002 ranks 2nd for me, equal to 1987 and behind 1972.

Always enjoyed reading your work, Tim. Since way back in the day.
Thanks so much Koyvoo. I hope you enjoy the book. I think even the 2010 team gets more recognition than 2002 because of the dramatic Iginla to Crosby OT goal and 2014 because of how defensively dominant that team was.

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
Losing the 1996 World Cup, 1998 Olympics, placing eighth at the 1998 WJC, and just seeing so few good young Canadian players had lots of people in Canada distressed about the state of Canadian hockey heading into that summit. No question the 2002 Olympic team had a ton of pressure.

Do you much in the book regarding Roy and his refusal to play in the 2002 tournament?
I do. Quinn's difficult decision to go with Martin Brodeur over his goalie, Curtis Joseph, after Game 1 is an entire chapter, along with Patrick Roy's decision to pull himself from consideration a few weeks before Wayne Gretzky named the roster. Roy's Colorado teammates Joe Sakic and Adam Foote add insight, but Roy had a history of wanting to be guaranteed to be No. 1. Don't forget he won a Stanley Cup six months before the roster was to be announced.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
It was 20 years ago today!

@Tim Wharnsby: How would you rate Team Canada 2002 in comparison with earlier and later Team Canadas that won best-on-best tournaments, both in terms of the roster and the actual performance?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I bought the book today, will probably read it tomorrow. Didn't realize that this was the 20th anniversary. I remember well that I had just finished a six hour drive and arrived at my grandfather's house, where probably 20 of us watched the game. Gameplay seemed to pass by very quickly.

gotyournose

Oct 24, 2019
Now after 50 years, it’s time for Canada to stand up and cheer. Stand up and cheer everybody! The Olympics Salt Lake City, 2002, men’s ice hockey, gold medal: Canada!

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
It was 20 years ago today!

@Tim Wharnsby: How would you rate Team Canada 2002 in comparison with earlier and later Team Canadas that won best-on-best tournaments, both in terms of the roster and the actual performance?

Difficult to compare different eras and teams sometimes are judged by dramatic moments like in 1972, 1987 and 2010. The 2002 team has 14 HHOFers and arguments could be made that Theo Fleury, Curtis Joseph and Adam Foote also are worthy. There was plenty of talent on this team and that's one of the reasons it took three games to settle in as the players became accustomed to their roles.

Last edited:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
There was plenty of talent on this team and that's one of the reasons it took three games to settle in as the players became accustomed to their roles.

Right. In the light of this, do you think Team Canada doged a bullet when Sweden dropped the ball in the QFs against Belarus, or do you think that there was no way Canada didn't end up with gold?

Tim Wharnsby

Feb 20, 2022
Right. In the light of this, do you think Team Canada doged a bullet when Sweden dropped the ball in the QFs against Belarus, or do you think that there was no way Canada didn't end up with gold?
It's like the Stanley Cup tournament -- You need to stay healthy, receive excellent goaltending and have a surprise or to emerge offensively or defensively. Check out the book on how Gagne and Iginla emerged to complement Sakic in the gold-medal final.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have three questions on minute details.

The book mentions that Thornton was the next man up if a forward had to drop out. I recall reading a column from Strachan that Thornton was the next man up at forward and Redden was next up on defence - did this come up in the research for the book? I did see that Redden was included on the taxi squad in the book.

Why was Bowman seemingly not given consideration to coach the team? The book mentions the four coaches that Gretzky considered, but Bowman was not one of them. Is it something that stemmed from Bowman dropping out as coach of the 1996 World Cup team?

Finally, was interested in reading who the roommate pairs were on the team. I found it interesting that Lemieux and Yzerman were roommates, since those were the two players with the biggest stature at the time and you often hear about teams putting young guys with more experienced roommates. Is this something that Lemieux asked for? I don't know if Yzerman and Lemieux had any sort of close relationship, but they did play together at the 1983 WJC (as linemates) and at the 1985 IIHF World Championship.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Two posts (by @TimWharnsby and @BigPhil) were lost in the server migration. Here they are restored:

Wharnsby.jpg

Phil.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad