Post-Game Talk: Gojira

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Dan's making sure the face-off circle is defended ...

Seriously it seems I've been seeing this a lot recently - little 2-on-1s near our goal because a Ranger went someplace else.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It’s largely as simple as this. Replacing two of Bonino, Pitlick, Brodzinski and Othmann (Goodrow and Wheeler are not sitting) with Chytil and Kakko will lead to much better possession and team defense than what we’re currently seeing.

That said, organizational depth is clearly thin and injuries are going to derail a Cup run unless they add at the deadline.

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen Belzile yet honestly.

@Machinehead will love this

Look at how colorado distributed their minutes last night

Their top guys ate. None of this running Barclay Goodrow out there late in a game that they were trying to get a goal in.

I think that's a bad idea at this point in the season but getting the top guys 1-3 more minutes a game as needed is a good idea.

I am vehemently against playing anyone 30 minutes in any regular season game unless you have 2 injuries to d-men early in the same game.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm a little surprised we haven't seen Belzile yet honestly.

I think that's a bad idea at this point in the season but getting the top guys 1-3 more minutes a game as needed is a good idea.

I am vehemently against playing anyone 30 minutes in any regular season game unless you have 2 injuries to d-men early in the same game.

Now full disclaimer -this game went to OT so there were extra minutes to be played.

But I disagree. You can rest guys somewhere else along the way when you're inevitably on the right side of a blow out (every team eventually is.)

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Now full disclaimer -this game went to OT so there were extra minutes to be played.

But I disagree. You can rest guys somewhere else along the way when you're inevitably on the right side of a blow out (every team eventually is.)

I get that, but I think going into any game where you are going to play your big guys even 26+ minutes a night is a bad plan. It's just not necessary in the regular season

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Machinehead will love this

Look at how colorado distributed their minutes last night

Their top guys ate. None of this running Barclay Goodrow out there late in a game that they were trying to get a goal in.

Play good players. A concept that is undefeated.

There's something to be said for conservation in the regular season, but I would buy that if the Rangers didn't demonstrate basically the entire Sather era that they're obsessed with having bad players in the lineup.

The usual suspects will be getting the same minutes in the games that count because the Rangers want them out there.

People talk about we should have done this and that to get rid of Goodrow and should do this and that to get rid of Trouba. The Rangers would never do that. It's not can't, it's won't.

This franchise is intrinsically linked to having teachers pet veteran plugs not just in the lineup but all over the lineup. Then we wonder why they're always mid 5v5.

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
View attachment 799268

Will Lindgren

a) Pass the puck to Kreider who is wide ass open

b) Flip the puck 20 feet down the ice to Quinn Hughes with his team already in the middle of a change
15 seconds earlier, Lindgren passed the puck to Krieder at the blue line. Instead of taking a few strides back into the zone and looping back out, Krieder decides to pass it back to Fox and makes a bad pass that goes behind our net. Fox has to go back to retrieve it and passes it to Lindgren. So, do you really think Lindgren is going to pass it to Krieder again?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
15 seconds earlier, Lindgren passed the puck to Krieder at the blue line. Instead of taking a few strides back into the zone and looping back out, Krieder decides to pass it back to Fox and makes a bad pass that goes behind our net. Fox has to go back to retrieve it and passes it to Lindgren. So, do you really think Lindgren is going to pass it to Krieder again?
In this situation, yes. That's what he should do.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Igor is the first, second, and third reason they lost this game and the game to Carolina. Excluding tonight's EN goal and shot that created it, Igor has given up 11 goals on 52 shots in the last two games. A save percentage that starts with a .7 isn't it for a goalie that's not being brought to the rink by his parents.

And it's not on the team defense and shot quality. You could give up 52 straight breakaways and expect to give up about 11 goals.

Right now saves are just not being made, and they need to be. These big deficits allow teams to suffocate the game (especially Carolina), and more often than not kills the offense.

Short term the Rangers should be fine at goalie. Igor will oscillate between being great, average, and bad like all "good" NHL goalies, and we as fans can just hope we get the good and great at the right times.

Long term, you can't pay this guy. No goalie is worth any more than an average goalie salary.

Didn't he play against Chicago and give up 1 goal?

hardnosed

Feb 27, 2017
In this situation, yes. That's what he should do.
Actually flipping the puck to the opposite blue line wasn't a bad play. After all, don't want to ice it there. Krieder ran right off, Fox ran right off. Lindgren's mistake was that he changed also. He should have stayed on as Miller came on for Fox.

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
staple.png

gallant.png

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Also I think people need to stop mixing "bad defense" and "bad puck management" together.

Tonight's game was all about bad puck management and it extends beyond just this game. They've given up 3 goals on bad changes in the last 3 games on pucks that didn't get in deep after long shifts and a boat load of others on plays where someone turns it over and players are scrambling to get back into the play. That isn't bad defense, thats being dumb with the puck in your stick.
It's both. The puck management and defense were dreadful at times against Carolina, Montreal, and Vancouver. Too many replacement level players playing important minutes. Getting Kakko back soon will help with some of the problems even if he doesn't light up the scoreboard.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
This team desperately needs Kakko and Chytil back, too many guys playing in spots that have no business playing in. And Igor needs to be better. Vancouvers goalie was making saves all over the place.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Crikey - who’s this “Kakko” guy everyone keeps saying will fix all that ails us? Starting to sound like the Second Coming.

”no pressure, kid”

• Haha
Reactions: TheDirtyH

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
We were watching completely different games. We outplayed them everywhere but in goal. They do have better finishers than us.
All of this will get fixed, hopefully in the not too distant future. We DO need KK and Chytil back, as their holes have NOT been adequately replaced. Without them, we do need more than adequate goalkeeping, and I am SO SORRY but....Shesty has been Shitty!
Once again, 3 goals given up in the 1st period. Chasing the game, once again.
I'd bet we would win the major majority of our games if we get out of the 1st at least tied. FIX this already. Also, lousy play in our own barn lately. Shameful even.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
It's obvious we are stuck with him. I hope he can continue to put up PPG and if he puts together a shit playoffs try to rob a GM blind.
Here we go again. Most GM's would jump at the chance to grab a 200ft center putting up PPG+. Wow. I do agree he has been less than, but only becaause we KNOW he can be so much more productive. He got that scratch on his face, and it looked like he wanted his Mommy. And I am a HUGE Zibby fan.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Think we learned Othmann is a year away too. That’s actually helpful come deadline time. Rather know that now.

I still think Henrique/Vatrano might be the play

Reactions: mas0764

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
All of the D need to calm the f*** down. They are all pinching way too aggressively in the name of keeping plays alive or creating offense, though i guess it's what happens when the forwards don't generate shit. The forwards are f***ing up too many breakouts too.
Agreed, and the Rangers need to be AWARE of who they are competing against. The Nucks are NOT the team you wanna pinch aggressively. a lesser team with less finishers is fine, but NOIT a potent offensive team. I have my head down, they should be doing the same.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Think we learned Othmann is a year away too. That’s actually helpful come deadline time. Rather know that now.

I still think Henrique/Vatrano might be the play

Did we?

The one game where he got actual ice time he looked great.

Then he barely played in the next 2 and sat in favor of world class talents like Barclay Goodrow. I don't think we learned anything other than the fact that Laviolette won't play Othmann over Goodrow and other shitty veteran players.

Henrique would be a quality add but Vatrano in any way shape or form is NOT the play. If you want to improve team defense, you don't do it by adding a guy who is worse at it than most of the players already here.

Thats TML esque team building.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Did we?

The one game where he got actual ice time he looked great.

Then he barely played in the next 2 and sat in favor of world class talents like Barclay Goodrow. I don't think we learned anything other than the fact that Laviolette won't play Othmann over Goodrow and other shitty veteran players.

Henrique would be a quality add but Vatrano in any way shape or form is NOT the play. If you want to improve team defense, you don't do it by adding a guy who is worse at it than most of the players already here.

Thats TML esque team building.
Vatrano isn't really good at anything except occasionally scoring a really nice goal. We already have that.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
We have a lot of holes through the forward group.
The defense needs to be reevaluated. On paper these names look good, but you can't go into next season like this again, it's just not working.
Fox needs to start moving his ass on the rink. I know he's not the quickest, but the dude looks like he's skating in quick sand whenever there's a forechecker on him and he's retrieving the puck. Sorry, bud, but you're easy to knock off the puck so you better get there first with time to move it. These things are made up for by the rest of his game and the good puck movement plays his makes, and smart awareness, but a little more hustle could help prevent the puck being turned over deep in our zone.
5 coaches later and the defense is still a scrambling mess. I won't even touch on the rest of them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad