Going to the home opener. Anything we can do to show our disdain?

notHiro

Feb 22, 2009
A friend and I are going to the home opener the 20th against the Flyers. I know most ideas of a protest at the game were shot down, but I would think there has to be something we can do to at least show our disappointment about all the time lost due to the lockout. I already plan on not buying merchandise or concessions, and going to a local place after the game (perhaps Cobblestone, I know they've been hurting during the lockout) to help support places that have been negatively impacted, but I feel like, especially since the game is going to be nationally televised, there should be something more.

I always liked the idea that happened in Sweden where the fans were silent for the first 10 minutes of their game, and I believe someone had an idea for fans to turn their backs for the first x amount of minutes of the game. I just don't think it's possible to organize this on a large scale in such short notice, so I'm looking for other ideas.

OhreallyOrielly

good 2b a tankster
Apr 8, 2007
Buffalo
A friend and I are going to the home opener the 20th against the Flyers. I know most ideas of a protest at the game were shot down, but I would think there has to be something we can do to at least show our disappointment about all the time lost due to the lockout. I already plan on not buying merchandise or concessions, and going to a local place after the game (perhaps Cobblestone, I know they've been hurting during the lockout) to help support places that have been negatively impacted, but I feel like, especially since the game is going to be nationally televised, there should be something more.

I always liked the idea that happened in Sweden where the fans were silent for the first 10 minutes of their game, and I believe someone had an idea for fans to turn their backs for the first x amount of minutes of the game. I just don't think it's possible to organize this on a large scale in such short notice, so I'm looking for other ideas.

I paid good money for my seats. I'm just going to enjoy the game.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
just watch the game, if I went to a game their would be nothing more annoying that an idiot trying to cause a scene over the lockout all game.

sba

Mar 25, 2004
Buffalo, NY
Kind of hard to stick it to the man when the season ticket holders have already spent their money. The only ones that could stick it to the man would be the people not buying single game tickets.

If you were that upset, you could have cancelled your tickets, I'm sure they were allowing it.

I get what the OP is saying, but if you're going to the arena, your protests are hollow.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
Boo them when they come out on the ice for a good minute or so. Let's em' know you're there. Maybe it will make them think twice about the next CBA.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Boo them when they come out on the ice for a good minute or so. Let's em' know you're there. Maybe it will make them think twice about the next CBA.

It's a short season, one that could lead to a deep playoff run... The next CBA is 10 years away... support them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Make a sign: "The owners got the mine, the players got the gold, the fans got the shaft. Don't do it again you greedy ********."

Salzig

I am laudable.
Feb 28, 2007
Bonn, Germany
I think that neither players nor owner care much about any protest. It was all about money and that's how things work in this business.

Last edited:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think that neither players nor owner care much about any protest. It was all about money and that's how things work in business.

Fixed.

For all the talk about the owners and the players being selfish, a lot of the attitude I see coming from many fans is no less selfish ("they owe US [me], WE pay them"... for services already rendered). Being selfish is fine, but being hypocritical about it is another matter. At least when the owners and players are being selfish, it's over their lives and livelihood.

This isn't directed at you of course nor anyone here specifically.

Circusboy39

Jul 31, 2007
I'm not advocating it, but I've seen it done at a soccer game where a team's supporters group bought a whole bunch of fake money from like Party City or something, stood over the tunnel to the field, and when the team came out for introductions dumped it on their heads. I'm thinking that would get someone's attention.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Yeah, one guy booing is going to make one hell of a statement.

Agree, but more than one will boo....

The facts are, booing the players will do nothing other than embarrass the booers....

The Sabres are ranked 12th in NHL preseason rankings, they could make the finals in this short season behind the best goalie in the league...

I say go for the damn CUP!!!! Don't boo....

Clock

May 13, 2006
Well, I question the effectiveness of showing disdain if you're still buying the product, but I'd just say make a sign and explicitly call out who you're pissed at. PA? Fehr? Bettman? Pegula?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad