OT: Going to a Mariners Game (First Time)

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
I'm planning to go to my first Mariners game. I know a lot of people on here have been down there before and I was hoping to get some advice. I haven't decided what game yet, but I'm leaning to when the Blue Jays come into town.

The biggest problem I have is, since I've never been to the stadium before (or a baseball game for that matter), I'm not sure where to get my seats. I'm looking for a good view for a reasonable price (since I might be getting 2-5 tickets). Any advice? Right now I've been looking at behind the diamond (~sections 126-128; though higher up in the section) or just past first base (sections 117/118). The later ones are cheaper but I don't know if it would be a poor view.

Would you suggest sticking to lower decks?

Also, any other advice regarding parking, what to do when we're there, where to grab a bite to eat, etc. would be appreciated. The only sporting events I've been to have been hockey and football games, so I'm not sure what to expect at a baseball game.

Thanks.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I've been to several games and ALWAYS buy tickets along the 1st or 3rd base lines, definitely lower bowl. Good view and chance to snag a foul ball. The behind the plate view is my very least favourite.
I usually stay near downtown and just walk down to the stadium, there's always a crowd walking down. Otherwise there's parking basically right across the street from the stadium but it's not cheap.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
I've been to several games and ALWAYS buy tickets along the 1st or 3rd base lines, definitely lower bowl. Good view and chance to snag a foul ball. The behind the plate view is my very least favourite.
I usually stay near downtown and just walk down to the stadium, there's always a crowd walking down. Otherwise there's parking basically right across the street from the stadium but it's not cheap.

OK, thanks. I appreciate your thoughts. So even a little past first base is a good view? For one of the Blue Jays games, there's a chance to get 1/2 off a family set of tickets. The tickets would be in the upper half of the section. Sounds like a decent deal.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Even with the Blue Jays coming in, there are a ton of empty seats. My buddies and I were behind the plate but we moved to the centrefield area for a really cool view. Make sure to check out the bullpen, you can get really close to the players.

And get the garlic fries, you'll thank me later! ;)

Wetcoaster

Even with the Blue Jays coming in, there are a ton of empty seats. My buddies and I were behind the plate but we moved to the centrefield area for a really cool view. Make sure to check out the bullpen, you can get really close to the players.

Your significant other may not agree. ;)

TruKnyte

On the wagon
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC

Garlic fries and chicken fingers are half the reason to go ;)

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
Doesn't matter where you sit too much. Just be sure to walk around the stadium once.

I stayed at the Westin the last time I was in Seattle. No complaints... the bar was nice.

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
Well if you're a Mariners fan and you're going down to see the Jays, it'll be like the Jays were at home and the Mariners were away. Vancouver's got a huge spawn of Blue Jays fans so be prepared.

I personally have never gone to Safeco for a game and I am planning to this summer but my friend went last year and he told me that's what it felt like. An away game for the Mariners because of the amount of Jays fans there

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You need to get the garlic fries, otherwise you might not be able to handle the stench.

Oh...and eat the apple slice AFTER the fries. Mistakes were made, breath was awful.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
OK, thanks. I appreciate your thoughts. So even a little past first base is a good view? For one of the Blue Jays games, there's a chance to get 1/2 off a family set of tickets. The tickets would be in the upper half of the section. Sounds like a decent deal.

I like anywhere between halfway to, and halfway past 1st base (or 3rd) as close to the field as possible. Compared to canucks all the seats are cheap enough....
The food is great in stadium and for weekend games I like to show up an hour early atleast to soak up the environment.
I find the whole nine innings kinda boring so take an inning to walk the whole stadium as previously mentioned and buy some food and beer. Beers not any cheaper than Canada but you get more for the same $. Sometimes I really love living in America.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
the area around safeco is very industrial so there's usually lots of parking if you don't mind walking. like someone else said, there's always a huge crowd walking a mile or so to get to the stadium.

get there early for BP, stroll the concourse cuz you can see the entire field from the concourse area (kinda like standing room) and be sure to go to the bullpen.

not sure what time the game starts, but from what i remember the sun shines in your eyes for awhile during evening games on the first base line, especially in the upper decks.

3rd base side is where it's at for sure.

Demko

Aug 13, 2009
Delta, B.C.
Garlic fries are a must! Be sure to bring some breathe mints/mouth wash/gum though. Also as stated previously. Tonnes of parking everywhere.

I love sitting RF lower bowl (Mind you it was when they still had Ichiro). An Ibanez game winning grandslam was hit maybe 2 rows next to us.... Oh and it was against the Bo sox. Overall good atmosphere! Have fun!

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Edgar's Cantina inside Safeco has half priced beers up until hour before first pitch. Plus the food is pretty good too. It's a must visit

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Personally I like sitting on the base line, don't really have a preference between 1st or 3rd. As people have already said get the garlic fries and chicken fingers, and definitely walk around the concourse during the game. The lower bowl's concourse is completely open so you can see the field as you walk. Definitely neat to check out the views from the outfield, they're better than you might think.

Before the game take a walk down Occidental Ave South. It starts on South King Street. It passes CenturyLink Field and has LOTS of food and merch vendors. Definitely worth it to check out before the game. Plus the food can be brought into the stadium.

cbr9927

Mar 8, 2013
Seattle
I live in Seattle, get your tickets at stubhub cause no one really pays good money for Mariners tickets. Most people going to the game get them free anyway. This is not a baseball mad city, well it was during Griffey, Edgar, Randy, era.
Now half the team is no names.
But somehow they are winning ATM.

cbr9927

Mar 8, 2013
Seattle
I'm hoping to get tickets last minute for when the Blue Jays come down, just outfield seats, nothing too special.

Hoping? You can have an entire section to yourself. Most of us down here don't even know a game is going on when they play at the Safe.

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's always nice to have a heads up on what to expect the first time you go into a stadium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad