Confirmed with Link: Going Full Rutherford (or: He Traded Elmer for The Reverend.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Don't... Don't you dare. If we give Martin a Scuderi-esque deal this summer, or hold on to Ehrhoff while losing Martin for nothing, I'll be pretty ****ing bitter.

they let Martin go, he signs a 10-year, $100,000,000 deal with the Rangers. Jim Rutherford immediately trades Malkin for Martin, exclaiming, "WE HAVE BEEN MISSING WHAT MARTIN BRINGS FOR THE FIRST THREE HOURS OF FREE AGENCY"

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I hope Boychuk makes it to free agency and we make a big run at him. I would be willing to give him $6M+, which is about what I think he'll be asking, but I would be very careful with the term.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
No, it doesn't put us all of a sudden over the top, but I can understand how the grey eminence thinks that Cole+Lovejoy makes our middle and bottom pairs more balanced and reliable than what it would have been with Bortuzzo+Despres. I know this is arguable, but I don't find the thought completely asylum-based.

Well why is acquiring Cole and relying on him ok, but not Despres?

Apparently like Despres, Cole has tools, but is pretty inconsistent.

Zero logic there.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
they let Martin go, he signs a 10-year, $100,000,000 deal with the Rangers. Jim Rutherford immediately trades Malkin for Martin, exclaiming, "WE HAVE BEEN MISSING WHAT MARTIN BRINGS FOR THE FIRST THREE HOURS OF FREE AGENCY"

:laugh: This organization has to be owned and operated by the central braintrust of writers for Adult Swim.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's downright pathetic. let's all just admit it. I ****ing hate our organization.

But dammit I love HF. I'll be trolling with you guys til the day I die.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pissed off. That is all happy I didn't get a depres jersey

Yep, I dodged a bullet because I was going to do a 4-pack of sweaters (for me and the family) in the off-season AND if I hadn't been out of town last week, I would have dropped $320 on Simon's bowling shirt.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014

Naturally, JR gets the blame because he's the GM, but I wouldn't be surprised if this Tweet was accurate and he didn't even really want to get rid of Despres.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
again, a 23-year old playing in his first full season had his play tailed off. So they sold low.

And NO ONE in the media is like, "wait, you couldn't even give him a healthy scratch first?"

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Despres is 23, his play will go through ups and downs. Scuderi's play regular falls off the cliff at ES.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Lol, Pens disabled comments on their articles. Their facebook is brutal.

I dunno, I'm seeing comments still, on their site.

A lot of clueless twits are sticking up for the Pens trade tho.

Incredible what a well paid PR team can accomplish, eh?

HotCoffey

Feb 22, 2013
I was really hoping for another move that would justify this, but what could? At least get a ****ing pick for him too you idiot.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014

Naturally, JR gets the blame because he's the GM, but I wouldn't be surprised if this Tweet was accurate and he didn't even really want to get rid of Despres.

he did look kinda sheepish at that presser.

Looked like he had his hands tied.

PitPenguin

Mar 7, 2013
Pittsburgh
Keep in mind i absolutely hate having lovejoy back

that being said. i am pondering a couple things.

- GMJR & HCMJ talked about wanting another Right-handed puck moving Dman. So does that mean they are overvaluing Lovejoy?
>Because i see him as a #5 at best, but a smooth skater.

- Do you think this could be the Michael Del Zotto trade for Kevin Klein trade last year?
>Where as Ben Lovejoy finds a place here and Simon Despres runs around the league

- Does Ben Lovejoy having another year on this contract (with a cap hit of 1.2 mil) add a little bit more value to his deal making this even out a bit more?
>Still no, but honestly. I still remember the old Lovejoy maybe it will pan out.

- Who do you think the odd man out is in the dcore?
> Letang, Martin, Ehrhoff, Scuderi, Lovejoy, Cole or Pouliot...

- Simon Despres apparently wanted over 2.5 million a year. Could the penguins have afforded that?
>Hell No.

- Does the trade Ian Cole & Ben Lovejoy for Robert Bortuzzo, Simon Despres and a 7th round pick make it fair value.
>Actually yes, however one-for-one. did good & got destroyed in m opinion in the other to balance out to a D+ for the deadline.

- (Lastly) Should the Penguins have held onto Mark Arcobello a little bit longer?
>Before the weekend, he had 5 goals in his first 6 games (7pts) in Arizona. Coincidence but still would be here if he did that when he arrived here.

C- = Deadline. D+ = Winnik Trade. A = Perron/Klinkhammer trades
C+, maybe a B- considering what he had to work with after Shero.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
again, a 23-year old playing in his first full season had his play tailed off. So they sold low.

And NO ONE in the media is like, "wait, you couldn't even give him a healthy scratch first?"

That's my issue. It's not like he was some waiver fodder schmuck. He was a 23 year old, 1st round pick for this team who had shown signs of brilliant play with regard to physicality, grit, and puck movement.

To say "his play tailed off" is ****ing ridiculous. You know who else's play trailed off? Kunitz--for about three calendar years now. Same with Sutter. Are they going to continue to develop, improve, or have a shot at being a core part of this team for a decade? Nope. But let's dump the 23 year old with a boatload of potential, who has the size and talent you can't teach.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is how I think the pairings will shake out, FWIW:

Martin - Letang
Ehrhoff - Lovejoy
Scuderi - Pouliot
Cole

Bleh.

Despres is 23, his play will go through ups and downs. Scuderi's play regular falls off the cliff at ES.

But he's experienced man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad