Going from a half shield back to a cage

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I have been wearing a half shield for the last 6 years of beer league since graduating college. Needless to say, I love it way more than when we had to wear a cage in college. Fast forward to now, my wedding is coming up in mid-October and I am going to move to a cage until after the wedding - hoping to pick one up this weekend.

Two things:

1 - Anyone recommend a particular one to go back to that might ease the transition?

2 - Anyone here gone from visor back to cage? How easy was it to acclimate?

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
I have been wearing a half shield for the last 6 years of beer league since graduating college. Needless to say, I love it way more than when we had to wear a cage in college. Fast forward to now, my wedding is coming up in mid-October and I am going to move to a cage until after the wedding - hoping to pick one up this weekend.

Two things:

1 - Anyone recommend a particular one to go back to that might ease the transition?

2 - Anyone here gone from visor back to cage? How easy was it to acclimate?
Why don't you try a hybrid half visor half cage? OR, you can get one of these that does something similar.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
I don't know about you but weight is a factor for my comfort. I'd recommend the Reakt cage since it's pretty light.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I've tied a lot of cages over the years, including:
Itech RBE VIII Oreo
Itech Titanium
Bauer Reakt
CCM Fitlite titanium

The Reakt and Fitlite are the two best. They're both titanium, so are super light and won't rust. They also have flat bars. Which is better for you depends on the fit. For me, the Fitlite is better because it's a bit longer and wider. The Reakt in large was a bit short and narrow for my face - it's a great cage if it fits you well though.

Unfortunately, both the Bauer and CCM titanium cages have been discontinued, but you should be able to find some on the second hand market and perhaps some on clearance at various stores.

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Why don't you try a hybrid half visor half cage? OR, you can get one of these that does something similar.

To be honest, I just think it doesn't look good.

I don't know about you but weight is a factor for my comfort. I'd recommend the Reakt cage since it's pretty light.

I've tied a lot of cages over the years, including:
Itech RBE VIII Oreo
Itech Titanium
Bauer Reakt
CCM Fitlite titanium

The Reakt and Fitlite are the two best. They're both titanium, so are super light and won't rust. They also have flat bars. Which is better for you depends on the fit. For me, the Fitlite is better because it's a bit longer and wider. The Reakt in large was a bit short and narrow for my face - it's a great cage if it fits you well though.

Unfortunately, both the Bauer and CCM titanium cages have been discontinued, but you should be able to find some on the second hand market and perhaps some on clearance at various stores.

Thank you fellas. I actually didn't even think about the weight factor. Gonna look into it.

Steve91

Oct 8, 2017
I just made the switch back after about 15 years of a visor.

Buddy at work had his mouth absolutely obliterated by a slapshot and that was all I needed to see.

First time out was brutal. I could barely even track my own shots coming off my stick in warmup. Played like absolute garbage all night. Second night was a bit better, and now after about 7 or 8 skates I'm starting to not notice it's there.

Reactions: Basement Cat

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
To be honest, I just think it doesn't look good.

Thank you fellas. I actually didn't even think about the weight factor. Gonna look into it.

I agree with the previous posters. I tell guys all the time if they are looking to switch back to a cage go with the titanium version (Bauer or CCM). Like they said, it will never rust so it should be your last cage purchase.

I went from cage (minor hockey) to years of no face protection once minor hockey was over, then to a visor for about 5 seasons, then to the titanium cage 2 years ago. And quite honestly the adjustment from a visor to the Bauer Reackt titanium cage was minimal to say the least. And I think a lot of that comes down to weight. The steel cage to me would of been a bigger adjustment as now there is this extra weight pulling the helmet down vs. the titanium cage which the weight was hardly noticeable and the helmet still sat where it normally would have with the visor. I don't even notice I have the titanium cage on to be perfectly honest which is great because there is no temptation to go back to a visor.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
As someone who has only ever played with a cage, I don't see what the issue with wearing one is

Whatever the benefits are in using a visor pale in comparison to the risks

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I play with nothing- I am looking to move to half visor/cage. I just remember trying to do it before and losing the puck in my feet all the time. Any advice other than suck it up?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I have never understood the claim that the cage somehow makes it harder to see. I personally don't notice it at all. I had so much more problems with the visor fogging up. I also made the change back to a cage when a guy got an innocent pass deflected straight to his mouth... In fact, I'd recommend the cage to anyone from amateurs to the pros. It's a cultural thing more than anything.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
I have never understood the claim that the cage somehow makes it harder to see. I personally don't notice it at all. I had so much more problems with the visor fogging up. I also made the change back to a cage when a guy got an innocent pass deflected straight to his mouth... In fact, I'd recommend the cage to anyone from amateurs to the pros. It's a cultural thing more than anything.

So I both play hockey, and coach my kids. For playing I wear a cage, for coaching I take it off. So every single week I'm screwing the damn thing on and off.

So I totally get how not wearing a cage is just nicer overall. I don't now about "harder to see", but it's just more pleasant to not have a metal mask in front of your face.

I also would totally not play hockey without a cage. I took a deflected slapshot off my cage one year. What could have been thousands of dollars of dental surgery became, well, nothing.

Reactions: DaveG

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Except for the hundreds of hours of pond and road hockey, yeah, you're right
Based on your previous descriptions I would imagine those hundreds of hours to equate to like, um, zero. Nice try --- I enjoy my weekly ski trips in the Alps as well.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Based on your previous descriptions I would imagine those hundreds of hours to equate to like, um, zero. Nice try --- I enjoy my weekly ski trips in the Alps as well.

So, you're accusing a random poster on a hockey forum - whose background you know nothing about - of fabricating the extent of their pond and road hockey experience?

Ducks4Cup

Jun 14, 2022
I played for years without a cage or visor. I put the cage on about ten years ago. I really don’t notice it at all. I bought the expensive Bauer cage because the cage is so thin. I’d go that route if you’re looking for minimum interference. if you compare the thickness on the cheap vs expensive cage it’s blatantly obvious

Reactions: DaveG and Richard

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
I played for years without a cage or visor. I put the cage on about ten years ago. I really don’t notice it at all. I bought the expensive Bauer cage because the cage is so thin. I’d go that route if you’re looking for minimum interference. if you compare the thickness on the cheap vs expensive cage it’s blatantly obvious
Thanks man that is exactly the information I needed. I have one of the first metal cages I think made from the late 80's and its terrible.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
I was hesitant to go back to the cage but finally tried one of the titanium ones after a buddy took a pack to the teeth. It's so light i can barely feel it and there's no going back now. I feel naked without it.

Reactions: Richard

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
Been using my Cascade M11 helmet/cage combo for lord knows how long. I could probably benefit from a lighter weight and thinner cage, but I have no complaints.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I was one of those weirdos who went through my minor hockey career wearing a full face glass (plastic) when i played as a skater, and eventually a Glass/Wire combo mask.

I went to a half shield visor when i graduated to picking up beer league type stuff. And it was fun. But I also played in a college league that required full-face protection for liability reasons i guess? So i grabbed a new helmet and cage combo. And honestly...i wondered why i'd spent so many years dealing with clear masks and half visors and whatnot. The cage really isn't that big of a deal.

It's also possible that i just have real terrible vision on the ice to begin with, but also probably a factor that i was a goaltender for most of my competitive career, wearing a square grid cage obviously. It just seems like an extremely small sacrifice to potentially save your face from serious damage in a meaningless Wednesday evening game.

One thing i WILL say about cages though, is that the Metallic ones are super distracting. Just putting on helmet with one briefly was enough to tell me it wasn't what i wanted in a mask. White/Black is the way to go i think.

Reactions: zeeto

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
I wore a cage all through my minor hockey days, and then rec leagues were visor for over 20 years, and this included coaching too. Finally went back to a cage 2 years ago after having enough close calls. Had a puck ride up my stick and hit me in the eye (with a visor properly worn, not tipped back) and took stitches to my eyelid, almost lost a tear duct. Been hit in the nose with sticks, fat lips (never lost teeth, but wear a mouthguard). Lost straw was a puck ricochet (Rick O' Shea!) of the glass and hit in the cheek which left a small cut and nice bruise. I'm sorry........at my age (turning 50 in March 2023) my teeth/eyes/etc are way more important than not wearing a full cage. Adjustment period.........5 minutes. Never noticed the weight being an issue or the bars, etc.

I'm not going to tell anyone what is right/wrong, but I found the risks just too much anymore.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wore a cage all through my minor hockey days, and then rec leagues were visor for over 20 years, and this included coaching too. Finally went back to a cage 2 years ago after having enough close calls. Had a puck ride up my stick and hit me in the eye (with a visor properly worn, not tipped back) and took stitches to my eyelid, almost lost a tear duct. Been hit in the nose with sticks, fat lips (never lost teeth, but wear a mouthguard). Lost straw was a puck ricochet (Rick O' Shea!) of the glass and hit in the cheek which left a small cut and nice bruise. I'm sorry........at my age (turning 50 in March 2023) my teeth/eyes/etc are way more important than not wearing a full cage. Adjustment period.........5 minutes. Never noticed the weight being an issue or the bars, etc.

I'm not going to tell anyone what is right/wrong, but I found the risks just too much anymore.

I'm not sure I understand your logic

I would think you'd value your teeth/eyes/etc. the longer you anticipate having to use them

Would you rather lose your eyesight at 20 or 50?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad