OT: Gofundme for Calgary arena staff

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I’m sure many have you have heard that the CSEC will not be paying their arena staff for the cancelled season or upcoming events.

I will not get into the politics of it all, as I could talk for days about all the issues I have with this, but this post is about awareness.

If you’re willing and able feel free to donate here. Let’s show our fellow albertans that even if the CSEC doesn’t have their back, we’re still Alberta strong.

Bonus points for donating multiples of 44, or for leaving a picture of Kassian on the community board like myself and another member of our board have done. (Sorry I don’t know how to tag people).

link for those who may have missed the hyperlink:
https://www.gofundme.com/f/tm3y6-employee-fund-for-calgary-sports-amp
-entertainment

Last edited:

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
I’m sure many have you have heard that the CSEC will not be paying their arena staff for the cancelled season or upcoming events.

I will not get into the politics of it all, as I could talk for days about all the issues I have with this, but this post is about awareness.

If you’re willing and able feel free to donate here. Let’s show our fellow albertans that even if the CSEC doesn’t have their back, we’re still Alberta strong.

Bonus points for donating multiples of 44, or for leaving a picture of Kassian on the community board like myself and another member of our board have done. (Sorry I don’t know how to tag people).

This is a good plan since csec basically told them to gofund themselves...

craiger17

May 15, 2011
It’s different for some organizations who don’t own/operate their buildings. If we were in the old building I couldn’t see the Oilers paying Northlands staff. Different when your making a profit from the Arena.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Terrible optics surrounding the Flames. The tax payers just kicked in almost half a billion dollars for a new arena but the team can't fund part time workers for a month?

IMHO--welcome to the world of the Flames most prominent owner. Having worked in the downtown Calgary energy sector for many years, colleagues who have met him told me that butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

Last edited:

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Being in Southern Alberta I’m surrounded by Flames fans and they are all quite disgusted by this. Glad to see players step up and support the workers with donations.

Staghorn

Jul 7, 2013
This coronavirus is going to affect all of us... cancellations this past weekend cost me thousands out of pocket, and nobody is gofunding me... it is upsetting that these folks are out of work, but
This costs ALL of us.. pathetic however that Flames owners didn’t step up when most other billionaire owners - and mega millionaire players - are doing that for what amounts to pocket change....

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
This coronavirus is going to affect all of us... cancellations this past weekend cost me thousands out of pocket, and nobody is gofunding me... it is upsetting that these folks are out of work, but
This costs ALL of us.. pathetic however that Flames owners didn’t step up when most other billionaire owners - and mega millionaire players - are doing that for what amounts to pocket change....
I’m in agreement here. It’s great what the Oilers are doing but there are other businesses being impacted by the virus where employees are not being compensated.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta

I can't imagine what is going to happen when they shut the work camps up north down. It is going to get real nasty, real fast. And I've got the inside scoop from some people who work up there that skeleton crews are already being established.

This will put tens of thousands of people out of work in the province I'd say. And these aren't part time lower class incomes. And you won't see oil companies pay these people a dime.

It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
5 home games 5 hour shifts

Getting paid 10 bucks an hour?

For most people who have a full time job or partly retired

I truly do not understand this is hitting many full time workers have been affected

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Guess which pic I posted on their board. :naughty:
6952051F-7E7C-4F8B-A9A9-3F3A7AD89B58.jpeg

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I think it's great that there are these movements to help stadium workers out, but what about all the people working at bars, hotels and restaurants near the stadiums?

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Give Tkachuk credit this time-- he stepped up with 5K right away and added that "I couldn't do my job without these people."

Sure, it's a small amount for a player with that amount of money but that's a much more mature and caring attitude than the billionaire owner.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Give Tkachuk credit this time-- he stepped up with 5K right away and added that "I couldn't do my job without these people."

Sure, it's a small amount for a player with that amount of money but that's a much more mature and caring attitude than the billionaire owner.

He was just embarrassed about the photo I posted after I donated. :nod:

Seriously though how bad is it when the players step up and the owner bails but then retracts several days later.

They won’t live this one down anytime soon and good on the Flames players for stepping up.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
He was just embarrassed about the photo I posted after I donated. :nod:

Seriously though how bad is it when the players step up and the owner bails but then retracts several days later.

They won’t live this one down anytime soon and good on the Flames players for stepping up.

The Flames players including Lucic deserve credit for stepping up.

Murray Edwards lives a few blocks away from Buckingham Palace in London--read into it what you will. I wonder if he is friends with Prince Andrew?

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
5 home games 5 hour shifts

Getting paid 10 bucks an hour?

For most people who have a full time job or partly retired

I truly do not understand this is hitting many full time workers have been affected

So you’re embarrassing yourself here, as well?

You’ve shown yourself extremely uninformed on this subject, maybe you should just stop commenting on it. It’s absolutely cringeworthy how ridiculous you sound.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Me being me.

Why don't guys go into your own community and see how many people have lost their full time jobs.

Most of the people that will get this money from the GoFundMe thing have secondary source of income.

I know this board has posters from around the world, while Edmonton hotels and locals eat in food places may not have been hit hard but a lot people have lost full time jobs and they do not have a secondary source of income. In some cases we are talking about maybe 5 days of work

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Me being me.

Why don't guys go into your own community and see how many people have lost their full time jobs.

Most of the people that will get this money from the GoFundMe thing have secondary source of income.

I know this board has posters from around the world, while Edmonton hotels and locals eat in food places may not have been hit hard but a lot people have lost full time jobs and they do not have a secondary source of income. In some cases we are talking about maybe 5 days of work
You are right about the full time staff and your point is well taken but in times of crisis there is something called "looking out for your own." I believe its the basis for how we are all judged.

Granted, the Flames can't go out and help support the restaurant workers but the people we are talking about were directly involved with the well being of the team.

On the positive side, I was very impressed with the Oiler response and the NBA really stepped up--classy moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad