Movies: Godzilla Minus One

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Toho's latest Godzilla movie came out in theaters today and the reviews so far are incredible: 97% critic and 98% audience scores at RT. Some reviews are calling it one of the best Godzilla movies ever.

Also incredible is that it reportedly cost only $15M.

Last edited:

SwordsgoneWild

WhenyougazeintotheabysstheBuffaloSabresgazeback
Mar 6, 2011
Lake Worth,Fl
ToHo is killing it with these last 2 Big G movies. Though they've had a good track record this century with the titles. Giant Monsters All - Out Attack and Tokyo S.O.S were phenomenal from the Early 2000's Millennium series.

Now if only Daiei could resurrect the Gamera series then I will be a happy man .... The 1990's trilogy is one of my all time favorites.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Just watched it yesterday.

Hollywood is corrupt as fxxxx. This movie might be one of if not the greatest monster movie ever made for 15 mill. Insane effects, story, flow, and most of all, the rage and power of Zilla like never before.
An article published in Forbes earlier this year stated the actual budget for The Force Awakens was 533M. 75% more than what was initially reported in the media.

I know making a SW movie is expensive, but that's insane. Something's up.

You could've made 35 of these Godzilla movies for that much.

Hollywood has to figure out how to make movies on a reasonable budget or it's going to fail.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I'm a big Godzilla fan. I even enjoy the bad ones. I can't wait to see this.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Really enjoyed this, Godzilla looked awesome on the big screen. Sometimes with these monster movies the human story hinders the movie but for this one it really made the movie even better.

I do wish the subtitles were just a tad bigger, it's interesting because I've seen closed caption movies just because the time worked out better and those are actually a better size, just not sure why they don't do the same for foreign subtitled movies.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
Saw it last night with my family. My dad is a huge Godzilla fan , tattoos, figures , every movie on blu-ray (in Japanese) etc. I love the Godzilla franchise as well. This movie is one of the best if not the best Godzilla movie ever made so far. It's actually so good that if you rate it just from being a movie and not a Godzilla movie , it's easily one of the best released on the big screen this year. There is a reason it got such good reviews pretty much everywhere. It's a solid movie that actually has a ton of focus on the human characters and their story as well. Go see it soon because it is only in theaters till December 14th.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
An article published in Forbes earlier this year stated the actual budget for The Force Awakens was 533M. 75% more than what was initially reported in the media.

I know making a SW movie is expensive, but that's insane. Something's up.

You could've made 35 of these Godzilla movies for that much.

Hollywood has to figure out how to make movies on a reasonable budget or it's going to fail.
I think they used a lot of practical effects in The Force Awakens. And I'll always commend filmmakers for avoiding CGI whenever possible. But obivously CGI is much less expensive.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Haven't watched a modern Godzilla movie in ages, but I think with all the buzz around this one I'll give it a shot when it becomes available online. Really seems like they hit this one out of the park.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Interesting. Now we have 2 Godzilla's . Which one is bigger, meaner and stronger?

Planet Godzilla.

300m tall. Nuked basically the entire planet. Killed all other Kaiju on Earth. Made humanity on Earth go extinct, and forced the survivors into space.

1702383369324.png

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Not just a great Godzilla movie, one of the most entertaining movies of the year. Loved it.

Reactions: Satans Hockey

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just got back from seeing this one, really loved it!!! Special effects were amazing, engaging story, sympathetic protagonists, and totally badass Godzilla.

Was going to wait for streaming but I heard so many good things, I’m glad I saw it on the big screen.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I think they used a lot of practical effects in The Force Awakens. And I'll always commend filmmakers for avoiding CGI whenever possible. But obivously CGI is much less expensive.
I don't know. There's lots of films that rely on CGI for the FX and are extremely expensive.

When I watch TFA I see lots of digital FX.

A half billion dollars to a make a movie wreaks of a grotesquely bloated and messy production IMO. Which would make sense considering how sloppy and hap hazardly Disney has handled Star Wars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad