Goat of the Year: Players’ Edition - A Brief History of Goats

Frank Garrett

Duncan
Oct 3, 2011
Duncan Construction
For summer fun, can we hand out a scapegoat of the year award for our each year of our team’s history? A Goat of the Year? Players only for now. We can save the coaching staff, management, ownership, and miscellaneous other entities for another time.

The only rule I can think of is don't do this in hindsight. E.g., don't put Mark Messier for each of the three years that he was here simply because you hate him. Rather, try to imagine you're back in that year watching the player who makes your blood boil the most or remembering who has garnered the most hate from the fan base at that time.

Rules can be made up or changed as we go and polls can be made if we really have to settle something.

I’m going to say playoff performances can also be taken into account.

Two players I'd like to nominate are...

th_425px-Pavel_Bure.jpg

1998-99 - Pavel Bure

Cloutier_Dan.jpg

2001-02 - Dan Cloutier

Bure is kind of an exception because he didn’t play for us that season. But he held out for a long-assed time and had the entire city PISSED. That's how it's done!

As for Cloutier, I swear to god we were going to beat Detroit. :sarcasm:

Okay, another rule (not really)… Brent Sopel, has to win one year. He was a high-flyer of the highest magnitude, capable of losing control of his mind and or his body in an instant. Supported by some because of his stint as the Golden Brent, his hair, and his ability to hold the puck in at the point, he was also hated by many.

sopel_t.gif

When we were younger, my friend used to get tickets to the odd game from a friend of his family who was a season’s ticket holder. After returning from a game I asked him how it was. He shared some details and began to talk about an incident with Brent Sopel. On his feet at the bench anxious to join the play, Sopel quickly hopped over the boards onto the ice. He mustered only a few awkward strides before crashing to the ice in the immediate vicinity of the neutral zone. I know this led to an odd-man rush but can't recall whether the other team scored or not. That's not important. What is important is that it led one man from that section to rise to his feet to yell out, "get off the ice, Sopel, you ******!” This was followed by pretty much everything else that Kevin Stevens said to Brian Bellows in that now famous YouTube clip. I wasn’t at that game. But after hearing that story, somehow I felt like... I WAS.

One another note, I also remember reading Post 48 in this thread and reacting like the guy in Post 49.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well I am pretty sure Sbisa would be the winner for 2014-2015.

Pretty much hands down.

Kevin Bieksa should be the winner for 09/10. Man, everyone in town was ready to drive him to the airport in the back of a wagon with torches and pitchforks. Then he enjoyed a resurgence for a couple of years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad