Goaltending

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Is it just me or do we look calmer in our own end these past few games with Sogaard and Mandolese in net? They're both big bodies that look calm.

What I don't like about Forsberg is he's a very active goalie with a nasty habit of knocking pucks back in to play that he should be freezing and it results in a couple of times a game in a minute of scrambly play in our end where an exhausted D is running around

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is it just me or do we look calmer in our own end these past few games with Sogaard and Mandolese in net? They're both big bodies that look calm.

What I don't like about Forsberg is he's a very active goalie with a nasty habit of knocking pucks back in to play that he should be freezing and it results in a couple of times a game in a minute of scrambly play in our end where an exhausted D is running around
It's hard to gauge imo, there is a tendency for teams to really tighten up defensively when playing in front of rookie goalies, I see a bit of that happening here

That said, to your point, both Mando and Sogaard have looked really calm and efficient in net, they aren't, or perhaps just haven't needed to be, scrambling. That gives the team in front of them confidence.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

You’re making an excellent point…. The team seems to have naturally assumed the rookies tenders need more defensive support, than the two vets on the injury shelf.

This is pretty much what happened during the Hamburgler run, when a life time AHLer was thrust into NHL service imho.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
You’re making an excellent point…. The team seems to have naturally assumed the rookies tenders need more defensive support, than the two vets on the injury shelf.

This is pretty much what happened during the Hamburgler run, when a life time AHLer was thrust into NHL service imho.

This, they tightened up in front of the rookie goalies. You saw them also loosening up against CHI (up 3-1) and against yesterday (up 6-0) when they went back to casual mode against the forecheck.

Reactions: Cosmix

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I actually had hopes for the Forsberg/Talbot tandem, but given how good both youngsters have looked coupled with Forsberg's injury and I'm kind of hoping they reset in net this summer. Use the ~$3 million you'd have spent on Forsberg on someone else and let Mads and Mando battle for the backup spot.

This is probably as a result of me being lower on Forsberg than most, but if we're going to go young and cheap at the backup spot that the team needs someone a little bit better as 1A, imo. I think the "real" Forsberg is the guy who hovers below .910 save percentage, not the guy from last year who put up a .917.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
This is the best team defense this team has played all year. If we had played like this all year we would be in a wildcard spot right now.
Thomas Chabot played 29 minutes. ~ 27 of which 5 x 5.

you would kill him.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thomas Chabot played 29 minutes. ~ 27 of which 5 x 5.

you would kill him.
And he averaged 24:30 over the previous 9, one game in which we were desperately trying to create offense is an outlier not the norm over the stretch of strong defensive play Boud was referring to.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Injury riddled season for goalies again this year. Is nice to see some depth. Forsberg and Soogard will be the tandem next season.

I don't see Talbot getting traded, Belleville are trying for the playoffs and we probably would get nothing more then a fourth rd pick for Talbot.

We need to work on our Defense and maybe a deeper dive into our goaltending. Goaltending felt like a strength at one point but it was mirage just like a lot of goalies when is time to show your stuff in the NHL.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

The two callups have played well so far but it has been only 4 games. Let's see how they fare for another 10 games or so when the league has figured them out.
And as a counterpoint Boston's second goal was bad positioning on Mando's part.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
too early to tell

lots of goalies start out hot and then taper off. Consistency is key to a number 1

I think there's an element of scouting when it comes with rookie goalies sometimes.

They get the advantage of not being as heavily scouted and their weaknesses aren't as well communicated.

I'm not trying to knock our goalies - I would think that of any rookie who starts out looking very good.

Reactions: guyzeur

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think there's an element of scouting when it comes with rookie goalies sometimes.

They get the advantage of not being as heavily scouted and their weaknesses aren't as well communicated.

I'm not trying to knock our goalies - I would think that of any rookie who starts out looking very good.
The key word there that you used, at least for me, is "looking" good and it's why I started the thread.

Forsberg has always looked chaotic to me. Save percentage aside, it's just an adventure watching him play. So much movement. He also has a nasty habit of knocking pucks back in to play that he could freeze.

What I like about these two kids is the calmness. In the right spots, big bodies, pucks hit them. Look at the glove saves the past few games. So casual looking. So easy looking. Forsberg makes some of those saves look spectacular because he moves so much. If you're slightly off position, that otherwise calm looking glove save looks like a spectacular stop.

@DueDiligence that 2nd goal is Pasternak the multiple 40 goal man with time putting it top shelf just inside the bar. That's why they're talking about him potentially having the league's highest AAV next year. Not many guys score that goal. But I do agree with you, Mando was a little deep in the net. Most guys blast that shot. Hit the goalie, miss the net etc. Pastrnak was in no hurry. He actually waited a second because he had time to see the opening. Very few players do that.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I really like the kids body language. They're both quiet in net. Mando needs a bit of refinement in terms of rebound control (that one goal yesterday went right back to pasta), but they look promising.

Of course, they could also be in "don't screw up!" mode and doing as little as possible movement wise so they don't go out of position...something that could change once they're more comfortable in the league.

But like others say, too early to make any predictions.

Reactions: hn777

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
The key word there that you used, at least for me, is "looking" good and it's why I started the thread.

Forsberg has always looked chaotic to me. Save percentage aside, it's just an adventure watching him play. So much movement. He also has a nasty habit of knocking pucks back in to play that he could freeze.

What I like about these two kids is the calmness. In the right spots, big bodies, pucks hit them. Look at the glove saves the past few games. So casual looking. So easy looking. Forsberg makes some of those saves look spectacular because he moves so much. If you're slightly off position, that otherwise calm looking glove save looks like a spectacular stop.

@DueDiligence that 2nd goal is Pasternak the multiple 40 goal man with time putting it top shelf just inside the bar. That's why they're talking about him potentially having the league's highest AAV next year. Not many guys score that goal. But I do agree with you, Mando was a little deep in the net. Most guys blast that shot. Hit the goalie, miss the net etc. Pastrnak was in no hurry. He actually waited a second because he had time to see the opening. Very few players do that.
One bad goal against vs best team in the league and vs top 5 snipper in the league is a miracle IMO
Mando was solid

Reactions: DrEasy

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Don't know what the Senators have planned for goalies for next year, but it's going to be important. They are going to need reliable goaltending if they plan on being a playoff team next year.

Given that the Senators have three need areas (RD, Debrincat, goaltender), it will be interesting to see how they spend the limited remaining available cap with (or if) a $83.5 m budget.

In an odd way, it might be a good thing to have to play their prospect goaltenders now due to injuries to our starters. But, I wonder what happens when Talbot is healthy and available?

Same idea with prospects like JBD & Sokolov. It seems like giving them some games to find out how they perform in the NHL would be a good idea. But, it could be at cross purposes if they think there's a chance to get into the playoffs.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Don't know what the Senators have planned for goalies for next year, but it's going to be important. They are going to need reliable goaltending if they plan on being a playoff team next year.

Given that the Senators have three need areas (RD, Debrincat, goaltender), it will be interesting to see how they spend the limited remaining available cap with (or if) a $83.5 m budget.

In an odd way, it might be a good thing to have to play their prospect goaltenders now due to injuries to our starters. But, I wonder what happens when Talbot is healthy and available?

Same idea with prospects like JBD & Sokolov. It seems like giving them some games to find out how they perform in the NHL would be a good idea. But, it could be at cross purposes if they think there's a chance to get into the playoffs.
We know Forsberg has an NHL contract for next season. If he is healthy he gets one of the spots. Talbot is a UFA and currently makes about $3.7M. I think the Senators will sign him if he would do so for about $4M or less; otherwise he will be traded. We do need an experienced NHL goaltender, so goaltending is a big Q for next season along with an RD and Debrincat.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
really positive for Sogaard

looks like an awesome goalie prospect, huge, and can move. I would give him a lot of games down the stretch

If we can run Forsberg and Sogaard next year and get decent goaltending that would really help the cap

Reactions: hn777 and Cosmix

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We know Forsberg has an NHL contract for next season. If he is healthy he gets one of the spots. Talbot is a UFA and currently makes about $3.7M. I think the Senators will sign him if he would do so for about $4M or less; otherwise he will be traded. We do need an experienced NHL goaltender, so goaltending is a big Q for next season along with an RD and Debrincat.
If we plan on resigning Debrincat for around $8 m, and a RD for around $5, I think the goaltending budget for the 2nd goalie would be around $2 m (or slightly over) if the cap ceiling is $83.5 m. That's why I have mentioned in the past that it will be an interesting summer to see how they allocate the available (remaining) cap (again, assuming a $83.5 m ceiling).

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How much tightening up was there really when Mandolese had almost 50 shots against him in his first game?

Assen na yo!
We've averaged 32.7 shots a game and 3.27 xGA/60 in 5 games since Forsberg went down, and averaged 33.8 shots against and 3.58 xGA in the 5 games prior, we also arguably have faced tougher competition in the later 5.

I feel like we've been better at preventing second chances, and haven't had as many glaring turnovers but that's just my first impression without going back and doing a deep dive rewatching games...

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It seemed like the 2 Belleville goalies , actually catch the puck, vs what a lot of NHL goalies do, swat at it, and don’t catch it half the time.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
If Forsberg doesn't fulfill the "experienced goalie" spot, why did we sign him to that contract? Either go with a Forsberg/Gus tandem (my preference), or, if you don't trust enough Forsberg that you feel the need to sign Talbot, then let Forsberg go, and sure acquire Talbot (with a guy like Hellberg as his backup), but then you have Forsberg's unspent salary to reallocate to improving the D.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I am actually fine running Sogaard and Forsberg next season. Have Mando and Leevi split starts in the minors.

Forsberg is not a guy who can steal a win but he is a goalie if you have a good team in front of him he will do his job.

Reactions: hn777 and bicboi64

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad