Goaltending!

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
We need some goaltenders and some prospects in net. This is the biggest weakness on this club. Its been a long time since we have had a tender that stole a game! Another price we pay for the crappy scouting we had.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Chicago has players that will make goalies look bad. The problem is that we have players with enough skill that they should be able to be the same. Instead we are scoring at a clip like we're the Nashville Predators or something. We have all these shots but so few goals. We should have above average goals to shots ratio.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Defense! It's not a coincidence that Condon, Scrivens, Talbot, Lindback, etc.. look like all stars when they play behind a good defense.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Too many players on the club who shouldn't be in the NHL getting beaten by good NHL players. Coach can only shelter so much suckage. It's like being down half a man or more at all times.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
The fact that goaltending is always an issue no matter who's in net pretty clearly implies it's not goaltending. It's defence. If you get 30 high quality chances a game some are going to go in whoever is in net.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The fact that goaltending is always an issue no matter who's in net pretty clearly implies it's not goaltending. It's defence. If you get 30 high quality chances a game some are going to go in whoever is in net.

Yup. I have been saying this since Dubnyk was in net.

Watch how often the Oilers D backs in and surrenders prime scoring areas in front of the net.
I am surprised we haven't seen opposition players laughing on the bench about how easy it is to generate scoring chances on this team.

At this rate both Talbot and Nilsson will be done by the end of the season.

Edmonton is where goalies go to blow up their career.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
We need help on the backend, and we need help on the 3rd and 4th lines. Not enough happening on either fronts.
Goalies are fine this year, top 2 lines are ok

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Defense! It's not a coincidence that Condon, Scrivens, Talbot, Lindback, etc.. look like all stars when they play behind a good defense.

while this is true look at the type of goals are goalies consistently let in. Talbot/Scrivens given pucks away for empty nets, shots from the corner boards that squeak in through the pad and the post, unscreened shots from the point, and that third goal tonight (no backhand from that spot should go in on an NHL goalie) and it all adds up to losses. You could have Pronger out their during theses gaffs and our array of goalies over the last couple years would still let the puck through. It's not like goalies suddenly stop letting softies that they consistently let in just because the player changes to a much higher stature.

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011

Yea to me its akin to an offensive lineman for a quarterback in football. The best qb's usually have the best line defending them.

It's no different in hockey if your giving up quality shots or screening/blocking your goalie or overworking him eventually or inevitably he's going to crack.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
We need some goaltenders and some prospects in net. This is the biggest weakness on this club. Its been a long time since we have had a tender that stole a game! Another price we pay for the crappy scouting we had.
Talbot is a good goaltender who has had a couple bad games. How long has our defence been crappy.

Pros and Cons

Mar 22, 2007
Atlantic Canada
Talbot is a good goalie. The Oilers allow pucks to him plain and simple.
They need to be assisting the goalie. Do we blame the goalie if the Oilers dont score?
Everyone is supposed to play a role in defense, but 5 players are supposed to help create opportunities to score.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
If the Goalies are good then some games at least they should give their team a chance to win. Talbot is in a contract year how many dollars and term would you give him? If the issue is really defence how come Crawford who is not the best in the league looks like he is putting on a clinic compared to our guy?I dont disagree that some of our d sucks but not all of them.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Watching this season, I'm not entirely sure it's just defense.
Don't get me wrong, our D is poor overall and needs a lot of improvement. But we haven't really brought in a bonafide #1 goalie in here in like a decade. We keep taking chances on backups from top teams that we know would inflate their stats and we keep getting burnt. Sure, Talbot won't be as good as he looked in New York, but I'm starting to question if he could be a #1 on any team with a non-elite defence. Think Brian Elliott.

McDavidMcCup

Jul 9, 2007
I get our Defence is crappy. I do get that. But look at the goals that are going in past Talbot in his Chicago and Calgary games.

Long range tipped shots to which he doesn't react.

A 15 + foot no look back hander from Kane with Davidson draped all over him.

The disaster behind the net in the dying seconds of the Calgary game.

Like it or not, Talbot is starting to put together a CV here that has his coach calling him to make more saves "We needed one of those three goals saved tonight" and the back-up out performing him on the season with a 0.911 save percentage.

Talbot had better find his confidence and swagger and he better find it fast.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen

Actually stole Nilsson the nucks game! Talbot wasnt a sure thing from the start, all rangers back up numbers isnt telling the real truth. Going from backie to one of the best in the nhl to 1st in a bad defensive team were he get tested is a big step.

Fans gets exited over a new toy and rangers fans liked him, save % bla bla bla, people did the same mistake with ference, bruin fans came in and praised him, hmm i got locked out from the ference captain thread because i had issues with him.

Talbot isnt a sure bust either, we will have to wait and see if he gain confidence and our defense starts to improve.

I have Nilsson over Talbot so far but he isnt a 1st goalie yet, should need 1 year atleast behind a good goalie and not carry the team with all the pressure that comes with that.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Chicago has players that will make goalies look bad. The problem is that we have players with enough skill that they should be able to be the same. Instead we are scoring at a clip like we're the Nashville Predators or something. We have all these shots but so few goals. We should have above average goals to shots ratio.

We do.

Oilers are currently 6th in the league in shooting percentage, and 23rd in shots taken.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I am a fan of Broissoit but this organization do have valuable assets now. If not a defenceman I am game to acquire goaltending depth also. Good goaltending has always been vital for winning teams.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

our D IS our biggest weakness. We have goalies running around the system.

We could have both Ken dryden and Patrick Roy in nets and we would still be losing. We are giving up too many quality shots

Slatsmsg

Jul 14, 2011
Airdrie
The "two career back-ups with no proven track record" approach isn't working? Colour me surprised.
Kiprusoff was a 3rd goalie in San Jose before he went to Calgary...if I am not mistaken he was pretty good, Hasek backed up Belfour in Chicago, I am pretty sure he had a good career....where do starters come from? The fall out of the sky and voila they are a starter?
Some things to keep in mind...
First, our defence....Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart....less than what? 25 games between them? Gryba, though I like some of what he does...bottom pairing guy, Sekera, not a first pairing guy unless you got a Keith, Doughtly, Buff, Weber etc...beside him... Fayne, another 5 maybe 4 if handled right...Schultz, probably best as a 4....
Blame some of the stinker goals on our goalies but look at the primo opportunities we give up...though this year I would say we are getting better.
Look at other injuries ... McDavid...nuff said...
Korps...has played very well for what he is a 3rd liner but solid PK...Hendricks, granted he is back but he was playing well pre-injury. Ebs, a guy that's great at possessing the puck has been back one game.

It's true, McDavid in the lineup we have a fighting chance of not advantage on a lot of nights...sucks but true. There are a lot pieces to like here and I am thinking we just have to reserve ourselves to the fact that the growth with come, playoffs are unlikely this year but this team will make strides.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Far too early to be pinning a blown season on goaltending, we haven't seen the same kind of crap that we did with Scrivens, Eakins version of Dubnyk etc. The Flames goal was a bad one but it's not like a dump in from center ice or something, it happens. I was more disappointed with his misplay that caused a goal in that game as he had been very good at handling the puck up until that point.

Far, far too early to crap on the goaltending IMO. If you want to crap on anything, crap on the TEAMS slow starts to games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad