Goaltending.. What the heck are we going to do??

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If we land McEichel, we switch to a win mode.

A. Enroth is way too small to be a NHL top 15 goalie. That's a fact, no way to argue otherwise. Once he goes down, the top corners are open...fact. He's a placeholder right now, and that place is 30th.

B. Neuvi. He's had multiple chances, with a decent team in front of him, he just doesn't have "it." no biggie, he's a placeholder too. Hopefully, he'll be a solid backup next year for.....

C. Neimi. He's won a Cup, big enough, young enough. We will probably go after him in UFA.

I always remember gmtm statements about his desired size, and it's bf. Bye bye Enroth

yea, Chris Osgood (5'10") could never win a cup or anything.... and Tim Thomas, he'll never win a cup at 5'11"... good thing Ed Belfour was able to measure 6'0" on his tippy toes....or he would've never won a cup.

And of course... we all know Dominik Hasek was a massive 5'10" as well... god, if only he was a few inches taller.

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
yea, Chris Osgood (5'10") could never win a cup or anything.... and Tim Thomas, he'll never win a cup at 5'11"... good thing Ed Belfour was able to measure 6'0" on his tippy toes....or he would've never won a cup.

And of course... we all know Dominik Hasek was a massive 5'10" as well... god, if only he was a few inches taller.

Please, you're just just trying to pick on something. Enroth looks small in net, his physical stature is small, and at best he's 5'8"....at best.

I give you a lot of credit for your hockey knowledge, so again, when Enroth goes down most of the top of the net is open. You have to agree with that.

I feel it is a shame for him because he has the tools to be a very good NHL goalie but he's just too small to effectively "close the door" at the NHL level. NHL shooters can hit corners.

No way Enroth becomes anything more than a back up, or outside the top 25 starting goalie at the NHL level....players are too good.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
In the short term, you don't really need to do anything except hope there's some slight marginal improvement in Enroth and Neuvirth enough that bad goaltending doesn't negatively affect the confidence and development of their young defensemen. Maybe get serious about giving Lieuwen some NHL time down the line if he is having a strong season to get an evaluation.

In the long term they'll have to find out if the goalie they'll have when the team is good again is in the organization or not. I'm pretty confident he's not currently on the roster and I'm not that confident he's in the organization.

In the medium term they'll have to decide how they want to get from building to good. If they want to do something along the lines of (Enroth or Neuvirth)/(Lieuwen or Hackett), decide to get Ullmark to the NHL as fast as possible, or start looking outside the organization.

My preference would be that this isn't something that lingers. Solving the future goaltending issue can happen at any point along the rebuilding timeline, so if it's something that can be dealt with as early as this season, I'll support that.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
JimBob.. Is Enroth to small to be an playoff/cup contender goaltender? I ask you because you know the position better than most here..

I have seen some good ideas posted though, I know this year is a throw away year and Enroth has put his time in and should be number one this season..But everyone knows he goes down and they just put the puck over his shoulder..

The guy is great at most other aspects of the position and he is lightning fast, but no matter how fast he is those corners are available..

I need to find a way to watch Ullmark and the other young guys, I know nothing about them and that's a little worrying in it's self..(not much hype as of yet)

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
SumoGoalie, obviously.

Fun fact, Charles Wang seriously suggested trying a sumo wrestler to fix the goalie woes of the islanders

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
I am in the camp that we do not have to worry about it at this point. It will be an issue down the road. Enroth is not the long-term answer, nor is Neuvirth.

You might not need a superstar goalie, but you do need someone of at least some competence in net, no matter how good your forwards or defensemen are.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
it literally is that easy... corey crawford, justin quick, antii niemi, tim thomas...

Marc Andre Fleury....

There is always a buyers market for goalies. The sabres also have 5 picks in the first two rounds in 2015 so there is that possibility too.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Marc Andre Fleury....

There is always a buyers market for goalies. The sabres also have 5 picks in the first two rounds in 2015 so there is that possibility too.

except it has been proven to be somewhat pointless to use high picks on goalies in recent years

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
except it has been proven to be somewhat pointless to use high picks on goalies in recent years

True, but you could trade for the next Cory Schneider or Jonathan Bernier with it.

Maybe Anaheim has to deal one of Andersen and Gibson and both look like studs. Maybe Martin Jones gets stuck behind Quick. Maybe Tampa ends up with a Luongo/Schneider situation with Bishop/Vasilevski. Etc.

Having an abundance of high picks would make it easier to trade for one of those guys. With the number of picks/prospects we have, it would hurt far less if we had to give up a 1st rounder in 2017 or something to get one another team has developed--if our own pipeline proves empty.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Fucale in the 2nd last year, Tuukka Rask 21st overall, Vasilevski 19th, Subban 24th, Jake Allen 2nd round, Gibson 2nd round.

Got no problem using a second round pick on a goalie instead of using a 6th round pick every year and hope one turns out like Ryan Miller and it is not like guys like Branislav Fabry, Luke Adam, Brennan, Scheistel, Gogulla and Funk has gotten the sabres anywhere as second round picks in the last 10 years

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Fucale in the 2nd last year, Tuukka Rask 21st overall, Vasilevski 19th, Subban 24th, Jake Allen 2nd round, Gibson 2nd round.

Got no problem using a second round pick on a goalie instead of using a 6th round pick every year and hope one turns out like Ryan Miller and it is not like guys like Branislav Fabry, Luke Adam, Brennan, Scheistel, Gogulla and Funk has gotten the sabres anywhere as second round picks in the last 10 years

If Buffalo's going to do anything in the future, some of 2nd round (and later) picks like Compher, McCabe, Baptiste, Fasching, Lemieux, Bailey, Carrier, Hurley, Karabacek, Larsson, Cornel, etc are going to be important pieces on the team. Are you just going to pretend that doesn't mean anything because of poor 2nd round drafting years ago?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If Buffalo's going to do anything in the future, some of 2nd round (and later) picks like Compher, McCabe, Baptiste, Fasching, Lemieux, Bailey, Carrier, Hurley, Karabacek, Larsson, Cornel, etc are going to be important pieces on the team. Are you just going to pretend that doesn't mean anything because of poor 2nd round drafting years ago?

I am not sure what your point is? Half the guys you listed were not even drafted by the sabres. :laugh:
Statistically speaking half the guys that were drafted by the sabres wont make the team and that is being generous. Yes I would take a chance on a goalie prospect like Fucale with a second round pick.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I am not sure what your point is? Half the guys you listed were not even drafted by the sabres. :laugh:
Statistically speaking half the guys that were drafted by the sabres wont make the team and that is being generous. Yes I would take a chance on a goalie prospect like Fucale with a second round pick.

I knew you were going to say that, to which I say only one of the goalies you listed is an actual NHL goalie so far. The point is simple enough. What the Sabres have accumulated in the 2nd round and beyond the past few years is very different from what they were accumulating years ago, even allowing for how many may disappoint. It has to be noted seeing as how you're making it seem by association as if 2nd round picks would be wasted on skaters. That "half" those guys weren't drafted by the Sabres is pretty irrelevant. They were drafted in those rounds in recent years and acquired.

The reality is you can trade two 2nd's for Fucale when he's in the last year of his ELC, because Montreal has absolutely no way of keeping him if he's proven to be any good, not when they're locked into Carey Price for eternity. And you get to sit and wait to see if Fucale is even worth trading for, or if we actually need him. You do realize we just drafted another goalie in the third round this year? You make it seem as if it's some neglected position when we have one of the best young goalies in the AHL, last year's top goalie in the SHL (top in Swedish juniors the year prior), and arguably last year's top goalie from the USHL. Adding another prospect doesn't change much, if anything they should be trading for a young goalie who's indicated he's ready to be a starter, just not this year.

Edit: BTW I'm not saying I'm against drafting a goalie in the 2nd but people say we should without consideration for whether we need to or if there's one worth taking there. Drafting a goalie in the 2nd round this year doesn't change anything for us in 2 or 3 years which should really be the only concern. You can't simply draft your way into covering the long-term at goalie. You need to just keep drafting goalies and keep the stable full, which we're doing a fine job of already.

Last edited:

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
answer to the OP:

Not worry about it in the least. It will solve itself if we focus on building the roster (forwards/defensemen)

Jame has been arguing this for years and I tend to agree. A good team doesn't need to build around goaltending, just a solid defensive core with some capable scoring lines. There have been plenty of teams in the past ten years who won the cup with this model. With that being said, I am throwing my support behind Makarov for the 2016 season. He is the only goalie we currently have who can steal games on his own when he is at his best. Just let him develop.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

How many failures have their been in the 1st and 2nd round in drafting goalies??? You are quoting 50% here...where is your date on hsuccess to failure in goalies picked in the 1st and 2nd round???

Every team has missed on 2nd round picks. Buffalo has done very good on 2nd and later rounders than other teams. You seemed to have forgotten about Pommers and roy. Recently they have selected quite a few decent 2nd round prospects.

NHL wide statistically its far less than half to get top 6/top 4 players in the 2nd round. Less to get players that stay in hovkey beyond a cup of coffee.

Buffalo historically have been one of the better teams in finding talent after the 1st round.

RocSabres

Jul 21, 2014
True, but you could trade for the next Cory Schneider or Jonathan Bernier with it.

Maybe Anaheim has to deal one of Andersen and Gibson and both look like studs. Maybe Martin Jones gets stuck behind Quick. Maybe Tampa ends up with a Luongo/Schneider situation with Bishop/Vasilevski. Etc.

Having an abundance of high picks would make it easier to trade for one of those guys. With the number of picks/prospects we have, it would hurt far less if we had to give up a 1st rounder in 2017 or something to get one another team has developed--if our own pipeline proves empty.

Yes, I think this is the best way to go. If none of the Sabres goalie prospects turn out to be solid NHL goalies. You can trade for a young goalie who has high end NHL potential. Subban potentially with Rask looking like he will be the starter for many years to come, then as mentioned Vasilevski if Bishop is around long-term, Fucale with Price as the Canadians starter.

So when this team is ready to take the next step and will need a quality starter to progress trading for a proven young goalie would be my way of going about things, if none of the goalies in the system prove worthy.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
JimBob.. Is Enroth to small to be an playoff/cup contender goaltender? I ask you because you know the position better than most here..

The question shouldn't be about Enroth's size and should be about his talent.

I wouldn't be shocked if Enroth looks pretty good in the role as a #1. The difference between being a backup to a stud #1 and getting spot starts and being a #1 that gets the bulk of the workload are two different things.

That's why predicting how a guy will do as a starter off of how he's done as a backup is guesswork at best.

Personally, I think that if Enroth looks average or better this year that he gets a 2 or 3 year extension at $4 to 5M per and is the #1 for the next couple of years as the team matures in front of him.

It's still too early to tell if he is a guy that should be the #1 once the team is a playoff team.

But, I wouldn't discount it based simply on his size.

Although, I will concede the fact that a lot of teams are biased towards bigger goalies.

Just look at how former Sabres & Preds and current Caps goalie coach Mitch Korn answered a question I had about scouting goalies:

http://ingoalmag.com/interviews/ask-a-pro-predators-goalie-coach-great-mitch-korn/

InGoal subscriber James Weise asks: “How have the attributes that you want in a prospect changed in the time that you have been in the NHL? Is height being stressed now a lot more than in the past?â€

Mitch Korn: “I used to talk about flexibility. Now I talk about contort-ability. You see I think a lot of the lower body flexibility, the need for it in standard situations has somewhat disappeared because of the pads. And they wear them loose and they rotate on their leg, and I don’t think they need the kind of flexibility they used to need in ordinary situations. But in special situations the ability to contort is still valuable, and there is no piece of equipment that can make a guy be flexible enough to contort in scramble situations.

“Now let’s look at this question for what it is. What’s changed? The first, most important thing is it’s still skill. It’s always been skill. Skill is the single most important thing. The second most important thing is the understanding that it is a game of square footage. And because of traffic and redirects and the speed of the game and the precision of the shots, size has become a factor. Square footage. Now you need to find, and we are finding, guys that are big and skilled. Traditionally the smaller guys were a little more skilled than the bigger guys, and the bigger guys were a little slower, a little more cumbersome than the smaller guys. But that’s not true anymore. So what are we looking for now? We’re looking for the most-skilled, biggest guy we can fin.â€

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad