Goalies: Goaltending Rules of Thumb

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
It always helps when you stand with your back against the crossbar when the puck isn't in your end. Once you see the play breaking out towards you try getting a feel for where the puck will be moving, and once it crosses the blue line push out and stay square with it while at the top of the blue paint. And it's obvious, but always be lined up with the puck, not with the shooter's body.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
Before I start warm-ups and often as the play is coming back down I'll extend my arms and make sure I'm centered in the net. Here's a video.. you see it before I begin warm-ups:

SJGoalie32

Apr 7, 2007
TealTown, USA
A former forward, I will play my first season at goaltender in ACHA III. My positioning in particular is total ****. What are some rules of thumb to make sure I am positioned correctly, or any other helpful hints?

Thanks

Two things I'd recommend for you.....

1) In warmups (and during stoppages in play), center yourself in the middle of your net with your back firm against the crossbar. Then look out across the ice for the faceoff circle to your left, the point where the blue line meets the boards, the center ice faceoff dot, the blue line/boards point to your right, and the faceoff dot to your right. Get in the habit of lining up with each of those spots and skating straight out and straight back to the center of your net. Find markings on the ice and along the boards that will help orient you. Visualize a straight line from a point on the side boards, through the faceoff dot, straight through your 5-hole, and to the center of the net. Just constantly work on that visualization process until you get a better feel for those lines. With time and practice, you should be able to tell when you are centered properly and when you aren't.

2) Until you do get a good feel for your positioning and where you are in your net, I'd encourage you to play a bit deeper in your crease. The deeper you are in your crease, the easier it is to center yourself with the puck carrier and the easier it will be for you to make a stop even if you are slightly out of position. The downside to this is that you expose much more of the net to shooters the further back you play. But in my experience, coming far out of your net on a bad line is much worse.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Two things I'd recommend for you.....

1) In warmups (and during stoppages in play), center yourself in the middle of your net with your back firm against the crossbar. Then look out across the ice for the faceoff circle to your left, the point where the blue line meets the boards, the center ice faceoff dot, the blue line/boards point to your right, and the faceoff dot to your right. Get in the habit of lining up with each of those spots and skating straight out and straight back to the center of your net. Find markings on the ice and along the boards that will help orient you. Visualize a straight line from a point on the side boards, through the faceoff dot, straight through your 5-hole, and to the center of the net. Just constantly work on that visualization process until you get a better feel for those lines. With time and practice, you should be able to tell when you are centered properly and when you aren't.

2) Until you do get a good feel for your positioning and where you are in your net, I'd encourage you to play a bit deeper in your crease. The deeper you are in your crease, the easier it is to center yourself with the puck carrier and the easier it will be for you to make a stop even if you are slightly out of position. The downside to this is that you expose much more of the net to shooters the further back you play. But in my experience, coming far out of your net on a bad line is much worse.

Best advice you're going to get. I always tried to keep the puck lined up with the logo on my chest. Also, have fun. Don't worry about making the fancy saves. Those most likely come off pure reaction lol

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
This is the most fundamental concept you have to wrap your head around if you want to be successful.

fig5.3.JPG

Screen-shot-2009-12-04-at-5.26.57-AM.png

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
My number one rule is do not let the puck go through you. Sounds obvious sure, but what that means to me is to not cheat looking for top corner picks and have pucks get under your arms or through your legs. That said the mentality goes hand in hand with strong positioning.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Here are my five rules on goaltending:
http://hockeygoalies.org/advice/rule1.html
(with clickthroughs to the remainder of the rules)

These aren't what you'll find in a typical goaltending manual, but I figure that everyone's seen those already (so my intent is to supplement).

If you need a goaltending manual, these are my favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Goalies-Handbook-Authoritative-Players/dp/0809297469
http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Mask-Ian-Young/dp/1896095518
http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Goaltending-Brian-Daccord/dp/0736074279

Ultimately, I'm a Mitch Korn disciple, and he's got a lot of great free advice on his website:
http://www.mitchkorn.com/

jameswrjobe53

Jul 11, 2010
ODU, Norfolk, VA
docs.google.com
Here are my five rules on goaltending:
http://hockeygoalies.org/advice/rule1.html
(with clickthroughs to the remainder of the rules)

These aren't what you'll find in a typical goaltending manual, but I figure that everyone's seen those already (so my intent is to supplement).

If you need a goaltending manual, these are my favorites:

http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Goalies-Handbook-Authoritative-Players/dp/0809297469
http://www.amazon.com/Behind-Mask-Ian-Young/dp/1896095518
http://www.amazon.com/Hockey-Goaltending-Brian-Daccord/dp/0736074279

Ultimately, I'm a Mitch Korn disciple, and he's got a lot of great free advice on his website:
http://www.mitchkorn.com/

I love Mitch Korn! and thanks for the 5 rules

Long story short, my problem is that I favor my glove hand. I leave a lot of space open on the glove to compensate for my weaker blocker side.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Before moving out to challenge the shooter reach back with your glove or the butt of your stick to find the posts without turning your head to look behind you

Also as someone has already said use the markings on the ice and/or the boards

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
One thing I'd do a lot in my early days was tense up in preparation for the shot. In fact, relaxed muscles are able to react quicker than tensed ones - this is how martial artists, boxers etc. attack with such speed. In a crouch, obviously your legs will be at least a little tensed, but I do my best to keep my shoulders and arms relaxed and ready to make a save.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Played my first games of the season this weekend.
Liked having some of the tips available to review before I got back in net.

There's a few YT videos that I find I like for various tips that I just didn't think about beforehand...
Last one I was watching was mentioning to make note of what hand shooters are coming down on a 2on1... because that'll define more often than not their reaction.
Basically if someone's on their off-wing, they'll likely take a one-timer - and heading more central to the net. If they're on their regular side - a shot will more likely be a tip in/redirect - and so going for the corner.

I also liked some of the basic videos these guys have:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuLRr_hmnMiJvsoAFl90QRyYc8vdqMzZK

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
Another thing I remembered after chatting with a fellow goalie last night: Bigger does not equal better.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever got was to not constantly go for bigger sticks. In my early days, I'd go for 28, 29 inch paddles, as that let me keep my blocker higher with my stick still on the ice. I felt I took up much more net and the bigger stick helped me when I had the paddle down.

But, longer sticks like that help to open up your 6 hole and make low blocker saves much more awkward. You'll see guys in beer leagues everywhere with longer sticks, but most pros will use shorter. It's not about where you blocker is in your crouch, but where it is when you drop. And, it's much easier to raise the blocker making a high save than trying to tighten your arm and close that 6 hole.

Don't be afraid to try a smaller paddle!

Additionally, don't automatically go for the 12" pads with that 3" thigh rise. A lot of goalies thought it was the end of the world when the NHL went to 11" pads, but a few guys who made the switch like the mobility the slimmer profile allows. Additionally, less thigh rise improves mobility as well, and it is often a welcome trade if you can just play a little smarter and cover your five hole with your stick.

When picking out your equipment, don't simply try to take up more net. Purchase gear that's comfortable, suits your style, and allows you to move around the crease efficiently.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I'm a small guy (a generous 5'7 and new at this, first season I'm signed up for a non-rookie league) - but I'm getting comments from quite a few people that I'm quick across the net/down low... credit that to getting a few semi-private lessons and the fact I'm a strong skater/regular weight training (yay squats!)

I just need to figure out a way to make up for the giant gaping holes I leave in the corners :D I actually find that two of my biggest issues is tracking garbage in front, and the behind the net to the front pass/onetimer. Can't seem to quite get a good push into position if I don't want to give up the post tuck (or bounce it off my skate and in from the side)

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
holes in the corners over your shoulders is more about depth then anything else usually. That and don't make a blocking / butterfly save your default reaction to everything.

Behind the net out to the slot, that one is the devil to play right everytime. The situation is very variable. If he comes in tight to the net like he could jam it in, then you have to prevent the pass to the slot. Either I am down in Butterfly hugging the post or I'm one pad up against the post and the other down. The one down gives me some low coverage if there is a guy right there to jam it in, and you can push off your up leg get your depth/angle on the guy in the slot.

But really the odds are stacked against you if your D doesn't pick that guy up in the slot, so if he is close to the net when he comes around I want to prevent the jam first, and make sure that pass doesn't come through where I can reach it at any rate.

If they come around and are going a bit wide of the net, i.e. a stick length or more away. I like to hug the post while being up, that way if the pass comes out i can quickly T-push out to the guy getting the pass, or drop one knee and push with the other leg to butterfly slide at the point of release. It all depends on how the play unfolds.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
as a beginner playing competitive college hockey even at the DIII level of club, be prepared to get shelled on occasion. There are some good teams in that league. The advice in this thread so far is spot on, so I am going to touch on different topics. The key is to keep it very simple until you get comfortable playing. Don't play the puck unless absolutely necessary. Don't take chances like leaving the crease area to make a poke check on a 50/50 puck at the top of the slot. Also, for most shots, focus on stopping the puck and directing rebounds into the corner over trying to get a catch everything and stop play. However, in a scramble situation, anytime you can get a cover, take it. There is no reason to take chance by batting a loose puck into the corner when you can easily put your glove on top of the puck and stop play.

Also, another great rule of thumb is to never cross your body with either your glove or blocker. Under no circumstances should you be trying to catch a puck with your glove hand that was shot stick side. You also shouldn't be trying to catch shots shot directly at your chest. you are better off letting the puck hit your chest and using your glove as a cradle to catch the puck as it falls to the ice. Basically if you ever look like a baseball catcher trying to catch a puck, you are doing it wrong.

good luck and remember there will be a lot more bad nights then good ones as you start out. Especially in the league you are playing in. keep a short memory. Whether you give up a bad goal or a goal where you had no chance, give yourself until the face off at center ice to clear your head and move on. Thinking about prior mistakes will only lead to future ones. Leave the adjustments for after the game

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Another few good piece of advice is analyzing how you got beat.

If you finish a game where you got scored on 5 times with 3 goals in the same area... chances are you need to make adjustments to your game to clean that up. I usually replay the game in my head at night and think of places where I can be better.

Never blame the defenseman/teammate if you get beat on the first shot that's your responsibly. I would say never blame the defenseman/teammate ever but lets be honest here when your making 4-5-6 saves in a 10-15 second span its not the goaltenders fault anymore. :naughty:

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Another few good piece of advice is analyzing how you got beat.

If you finish a game where you got scored on 5 times with 3 goals in the same area... chances are you need to make adjustments to your game to clean that up. I usually replay the game in my head at night and think of places where I can be better.

Never blame the defenseman/teammate if you get beat on the first shot that's your responsibly. I would say never blame the defenseman/teammate ever but lets be honest here when your making 4-5-6 saves in a 10-15 second span its not the goaltenders fault anymore. :naughty:

I'd say never blame the Dman ever.

If you are making 6 saves in a 20 second span think about if there was a reason your rebounds came back at you/ unable to hold.

If your Dman screws up it is up to you to do everything in your power to bail them out. Just like they'll do for you on a mistake.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
A couple other things that I've found help me as a beginner goalie.

One: it was a post here in another thread, I think attributed to Kelly Hrudey - but play the game in 5 minute intervals. I find its a good way to stay focused, and to reset yourself after a bad goal or two.

Two: It's a tip from the Finnish coach interviewed in that awesome article from the Atlantic... In practice, always clear pucks like it's a game (ie don't just stop a shot and let it sit there in front of you). Work on moving any puck coming your way to go to a corner no matter what.

Ortio: “If you don’t drop pucks in front of the net at practice, it’s much easier to transfer that into the games.”

Last edited:

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
One: it was a post here in another thread, I think attributed to Kelly Hrudey - but play the game in 5 minute intervals.

I first heard this attributed to Jim Craig.

Regardless, I do this and it really helps with my own focus.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Alright... so something I'm finding an issue with since I really only get one or two games a week.

How do you make sure with pickup/rec league that you're in game mode by the time the puck drops when you only get maybe a 5 minute warmup?

I find a lot of times I end up letting in a real weak goal or two in the first couple minutes of the game before I really get my head into it. Shooters during warmup just kinda tire you out and since it's never quite the same people every time it's not like you can get them to take the shots you need necessarily.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
I don't jump into warmups until 2:30 or 2:00 remain on the pregame clock. Otherwise, I get too revved up and lose a bit of discipline when the game starts.

I also prefer point shots until I'm warm, followed by something that could be considered quasi-realistic (such as two-on-one situations). I've had teams where the majority of warmup consists of breakaways from the blueline, and it (1) wears me out and (2) isn't reflective of a real game.

When I had the luxury of playing "for real", I used to take my warmup shots from the other captains prior to the pre-game zamboni, and then the backup goalie would handle the actual warmup period. That also gave me a chance to watch the other team and line up what I was seeing with my internal notes.

Goalief4

Oct 22, 2014
I was a forward too and have played goalie for 3 years now. I like to keep in my stance if the puck is in my end period, regardless of who has it (teammates can hit it with their skates). If they are in the neutral zone I am out of my stance till the other team passes the red line with the puck. Other then that I'm always relaxed and finding the middle of the net. Now to stop shots from the point as I'm sure you've heard before you need to move to the edge of the crease right in front of the puck, not the player. Stay squared, squatted and low. Always follow the puck when it's moving in your end. I like to stay in my stance and shuffle with the puck. One they are past the hash marks and not in the slot just hug the post and change angle. You will learn from your mistakes. If a goal goes in don't get mad, just stand up and stare down the guy who scored it. You will eventually get it! Good luck and go stop some rubber!

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Alright... so something I'm finding an issue with since I really only get one or two games a week.

How do you make sure with pickup/rec league that you're in game mode by the time the puck drops when you only get maybe a 5 minute warmup?

I find a lot of times I end up letting in a real weak goal or two in the first couple minutes of the game before I really get my head into it. Shooters during warmup just kinda tire you out and since it's never quite the same people every time it's not like you can get them to take the shots you need necessarily.

have your stretching done before getting on the ice, your team should be focused on hitting you with the puck instead of picking corners. Warmups aren't really a time to be making saves as it is a time for getting a feel for being on the ice for the first time that day and feeling the puck. I personally don't make much effort into making saves that aren't right into my chest or even go into a butterfly during the entire warmup to save energy for the game

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad