Goaltending prominently featured in Boston Bruins 2014 Fall Top 20

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
malcolm_subban_boston_091913.jpg
Photo: Malcolm Subban is one of several strong goaltending prospects in the Boston Bruins system. Subban was picked in the first round of the 2012 NHL Draft. (courtesy of Michael Tureski/Icon SMI)

The Boston Bruins have turned to some of their young guns like Reilly Smith, Dougie Hamilton, Torey Krug and others to jump into the lineup and produce right away. With the Bruins’ current cap troubles, there is a good chance that top prospects like David Pastrnak, Ryan Spooner, and*Alexander Khokhlachev will be to do the same.

The Bruins filled a huge hole in their winger depth grabbing the smooth skating Pastrnak in the first round of the 2014 NHL Draft and he has become one of Boston’s top prospects right away.… read more

The post Goaltending prominently featured in Boston Bruins 2014 Fall Top 20 appeared first on Hockey's Future.

More...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Knight definitely and probably Ferlin will play more NHL games than likely 90% of this list but good job writing this, not easy, and you have some very good talent

There is a reason why Boston hired a fffffffull tttttime DEVELOPMENT C-O-A-C-H who is a forward with a reservoir of traits they are looking for.

four key words

1 & 2 Full Time
3 development
4 coach

coaches coach- they are on the ice

development- help with skills and teach

if it aint broke don't fix it, while it was broken as I said many times- very respectful (to Cassidy) and brilliant how Chia and Sweeney came up with this reorganization plan

I'll post what the real list should be at some point

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I've hit F5 a million times in the last 5 1/2 hours and nothing. Still waiting .....
I need time to come up with 6-20 the first five are Subban, Spooner, Koko, Knight, and Pastrank

Kirk had Knight I believe at 4 coming out of Florida so I'm going to put him back there now that Sweeney has gone on NHL radio and said he has an elite release, strong, fast, and coming on; add that to Sweeney cutting Cassidy's balls off and giving legendary local star Jay Pandolfo the forwards to develop unlike Cassidy I think four is about right,

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is definitely a shiny new toy element to the list.

I like Donato as a prospect, but come on, how is he #7 in the org at the moment? he had great prep school numbers, but he is 4-5 years away from a pro contract, and while i guess he showed some skills in dev camp, he didn't exactly come on and blow people away. No reason he should be ahead of Fitz, who profiles as a similar player and is 2 years further along in development (proving he could be quite productive at the college level)

Ferlin not being on the list is silly.

Heinen being on the list again wreaks of shiny new toy obsession. Maybe if he comes out and puts up fitzgerald like numbers this year at Denver he'll earn a spot on this list, right now he is a complete wildcard who was overlooked by many in a second rate junior league

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
When we do the rankings, we consider ceiling. I'm not going to rank Knight a 6.5D ahead of Donato 7.5D for starters.

I think ceiling is a good measure to rank players, however I think in this case ceiling seemed to carry significantly more weight than floor, finding the right balance is what makes a good list. Florek should play in the NHL..bjork?? No one knows..maybe he does but at this stage of his development its almost a safer bet to predict he doesn't. (Bjork was a random example, could apply to others on this list also).

That's my take. Also really really bizarre about Zane McIntyre (gothberg) typical weird goalie doing weird goalie things.

If I were to compile a list of the bruins top prospects it would look like this.

1. Ryan Spooner
2. Malcolm subban
3. Alex khoklachev
4. David pastrnak
5. Joe morrow
6. Linus arnesson
7. Seth Griffith
8. Zane McIntyre
9. Zach trotman
10. Rob o gara
11. Matt grzcelyk
12. Justin florek
13. Peter cehlarik
14. Ryan donato
15. Brian ferlin
16. Niklas svedberg
17. Anthony camara
18. Ryan Fitzgerald
19. Craig Cunningham
20. Matt benning

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I think ceiling is a good measure to rank players, however I think in this case ceiling seemed to carry significantly more weight than floor, finding the right balance is what makes a good list. Florek should play in the NHL..bjork?? No one knows..maybe he does but at this stage of his development its almost a safer bet to predict he doesn't. (Bjork was a random example, could apply to others on this list also).

And that's the thing.

If you give 20 people the same criteria to come up with their list of top 20 you are more than likely to get 20 totally different lists because all 20 people are going to see things differently.

Call it ceiling/potential, what ever we want. At some point you have to look at that ceiling/potential and say "player X, so far, has failed to live up to that". Granted some players have yet to play any professional games, but for those that have, you have to base where they are at in comparisson to where they were originally projected and how far they have come, thus the drop if they haven't met that. If the "shiny new toy's" ceiling/potential is higher than the player that has failed to meet expectations, for whatever reason, so be it. It doesn't mean he can't rebound.

To Dan: You mentioned Kirk had Knight in 4th in his rankings. It should be made clear that it came during his draft year. I'm pretty positive he hasn't had him there since and feel pretty confident in saying he wouldn't have him there now. And thats not to say he can't make it there again. It doesn't matter that Sweeny is running the show, or that Pandolfo is in the mix, JK has to go out and do his thing, otherwise, nothing else matters.

To Rich, while I may have swapped a couple of players around, thanks for doing this. Again, its subjective and we are bound to differ here and there, but it gives a different perspective, one that should open our eyes and maybe, just maybe, reconsider or at least examine how we see things for ourselves. Thanks for doing this.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Florek, who is already proven to be a very effective 4th liner and can cut it as a 3rd liner if needed at the NHL level, is 19th. Ok.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
4th liner... You just made my case.

But Justin Florek is not a fourth liner. He's a two-way third liner/penalty killer, who scored 19 goals in Providence last year - actually, 20 goals, but he was ripped off on a goal he scored off a faceoff because of a very late illegal faceoff call. The real ceiling is how close they are to becoming NHL-level player.

Last edited:

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
4th liner... You just made my case.

The question becomes, is a sure fire NHL 4th liner (florek) a better prospect than a potential 3rd liner (bjork)? Or is the rankings strictly based on the arbitrary grading system in place that seems to have no real formula outside of pure opioninated speculation.

Chudinov for example has the ranking designation "F". Based on the definition of what F means it seems harsh.
F – A player possessing little potential who has a mountain to climb [sic] just to reach the outermost boundary of that potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 50 percent depth chart purposes.

For a veteran defenseman playing in the top 4 in one of the best leagues in the world it seems harsh to say he has a mountain to climb to reach his potential.. I'm no fool, I'm aware you used the f designation to point out his uncertain career path that may or may not see him cross over to the NHL. However because there are no rules in place to grade a players likelihood of choosing to play in the NHL, using the f designation on him proves that the decision to appoint a number and letter grade for each prospect is entirely arbitrary. A player in his early 20s with a track record of good-very good performance in a top league does not get an F if he made it known he intended to come to the NHL. No way. So its not a matter of talent as the guidelines for the grading system were designed, its a matter of deliberately skirting the guidelines to make a point.

Bjork might be better than florek over time no doubt. But the odds on a late round pick even playing in the league are bad so I'd say its more likely florek as a 4th liner is a better prospect than bjork heinen etc.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I believe Joe Colborne was also a 7.5; and Zach Hamill drafted 8th overall rose to 8.0....Knight after last year rookie tourney was rated SECOND best prospect by Kirk Luedeke and did nothing to drop in my mind except play;)

my list based on my viewing, (quesitionable) hockey knowledge, talking to Boston and Providence guys, comments made from Sweeney on NHL Prospects show, and the best part- friends who run the gamut on who and what they know

1. MALCOM SUBBAN-

easy choice- told by one teammate very good, improved a lot and super guy

2-4 Spooner, Koko, and Knight (grouping)

specifically Spooner and Knight need to be identified as projectable NHL players or not- because this is the last year of their rookie contracts; my take is they were both mismanaged and/or not properly developed in certain areas of their games.

Whereas fellow All Rookie forward members Jason Zucker and Tyler Toffoli are starting what should be long careers- I see the third 2012-2013 AHL first tean center Ryan Spooner still looking to take off. I occasionally pop into Wilmington for practices and noticed Ryan seemed to be getting quite the tutelage after practice by the coaching staff- something I never saw when youngsters like Sobotka and Marchand came up under former Providence coach Rob Murray.

i'll limit the Knight stuff other than to say that Sweeney had this to say on the NHL Prospect Show discussing him as fast, strong, and with an 'elite release'... althought my favorite description is a current teammate in Providence and very popular playerdescribed Knight as 'one of best body checkers ever seen' comparing his style to one of the best hitters in the NHL today.

hopefully Spooner will have enough of the Claude 3 zone system down and face off improvements from his tenure in Boston (is it true they never worked on face offs down there, or is that a rumor:amazed:) to make Boston- I think he will; and Jarvis can work with him. I'm encouraged if Ryan does not make Boston, and is not traded he will spend significant time with Pandolfo honing the defensive/positioning side of his game.

Koko - "most improved player from start of season to end"....great kid, funny, super teammate, likeable, unselfish all things said about him by his teammates. Also, his 'dog chasing a ball incessantly down the park' is a great style.

He is near lock

5. DAVID PASTRNAK

- saw him all 5 days in DC and subscribe to Red Line and they loved him- more than the other draft periodicals I have like the ISS Draft Guide.

history is not kind to guys taken 25 and this draft was below average.

Note- the highest scoring player taken 25 of recent 8 years is Bruins Jordan Caron, although I like Quinton Howden who is a Florida pick who went in that spot a couple of years ago.

The real stuff starts 6-20

6. JOE MORROW

his offensive skills are near to what Ryan Spooner provides on offense, but his seems to be progressing slower than I thought. The comments by Mick Colageo who does a great job on Rink Rap column about Morrow's sketchy decision-making raise concerns.

However, he remains high because the added presence of Don Sweeney may be what he needs to smooth out his game and get to making the simple safe play and slowing things down atleast on his side of the ice.

Like Spooner and Knight, the Bruins need to know about this guy before they make a decision and avoid a mistake on what they had.

7. NIKLAS SVEDBERG

I put him here since he is likely to be in Boston and has had some success. Took a bit of a step back last season, but also looked good in his short look see in Boston. Will be 25 on Thursday so at a great age.

8. BRIAN FERLIN

loved him in DC last year; protects puck well, and asked another prospect who made this lists dad what he thought of BF since they play against each other and he knows him- and it was pretty impressive. He told me he elevates his game when it was close and late, and took over. His son said he is hard to play against.

I'd say sleeper but everyone seems to like him who has seen him.

9. ZACH TROTMAN

I want to put Arnasson here but I only seen him at the DC and the stuff I have read up on him (although was in NJ the day he was drafted and had some good conversations with those around who knew of his game0

as for Trotman, I like him quite a bit. One of his teammates told me 'you know those guys you hang with and lift with as a kid? there is always one who has ridiculous natural strength- that is Trotman'. He is just a beast. Again, lot of accolades about his character and of course the answer I got when asked 'is he any good' was a quick yes. Has the high check list around the pie chart- size, speed, hockey sense. He's a big boy and shoots right which is huge with Ference gone, and likely Johnny Boychuk soon.

Would not surprise me if Trotman has a better career than Morrow, but I just cant go there now.

10. LINUS ARNASSON

decent enough size, looked pretty smooth at DC, and Red Line really liked him. My bud Saxon Eric was all over this guy before draft so I'm pretty sold based on his ridiculous record of giving me a name or two the past 10 years and hitting on it over and over.

Everything I have read is positive and seeing him in person even in an unplugged environment supported that.

11. RYAN DONATO

He played against a friend's kid and he raves about Donato- and he says kid has a third eye the way he seems to 10 out of 10 find the open guy; and decision making just amazing at least at that level.

Bill Ladd who posts here saw him and backs that. Red Line Report (btw- love the humor they mix in with their reports) and ISS both love his hockey sense. If he had another inch or so and gear I think we are talking first round pick. That said, he looks good enough and I expect him someday to be wearing black and gold in Boston.

12. ROB OGARA

tall and takes up large chunks of ice and that pterodactyl (yah had to look it up) wing span isn't an illusion- apparently his arms really are longer than you'd get for someone his size 6'4' (and looks bigger)

His offense is starting to come around a bit and although he will probably always be knows as a shut down defenseman, he looks like an intriguing player who will be an epic draft steal for Boston. Love this guy- Red Line review looks like they nailed him

13. MATT GRZELCYK

He was at DC but not pushing it due to injury/surgery but when he is skating his is fun to watch. Probably the college prospect in Boston system I have seen the most live the past two years and love watching this kid. He can motor, and like fellow BU blueliner David Warsofsky he is pretty tough and doesn't back down.

had to put him with O'Gara, the pairing I'd love to see in a few years in Boston.

14. SETH GRIFFITH

watched him live in London and just could never understand how he could go undrafted and then passed over by both Capitals and Tampa considering the coach of the Capitals was his London coach (Dale Hunter) on leave; and Tampa had over 10 picks and Steve Yzerman had drafted his center Namestikov previously- and he was in London so much watching the Knights and his draft pick.

The NHL game is trending towards Griffith types, away from size over skills, Guys like Seth wont have to play in the top 6 anymore- they can play in any one of the 12 forward spots.

I used to think his so so skating, and lack of size, physicality would doom him, not so fast. Also, he seemed to me to be leaning out of the zone, but he has gone from OHL star to playing more balanced three zone player. His hands are gun slinger fast, his brain is one move ahead.

Likeable kid also was the comment I got on him.

15. DAVID WARSOFSKY

I spend a lot of time focusing on him at Providence games and he has rounded out his game- there is a lot to like, and like Griffith, the game is trending towards his skill and size. Every team will have one of these players who fall under the normal standards and Warsofsky should find a home either here or somewhere.

Doesn't have the dynamic offensive game as Krug but not far off- pretty damn good if you ask me. These lists are odd, because one injury to Krug, Warsofsky could jump to Boston and look like a 7 year veteran putting up some points.

His problem is he is somewhat down on the depth chart and could be moved- if not, he would logically be back in Providence but would expect to see time in Boston

told tough kid, plays through pain, real good teammate

16. RYAN FITZGERALD

Being at BC you get to see him, and he turned in a pretty strong first season. He reminds me of Krejci-lite and that is a good thing. His hockey sense logically would seem to be off the charts, and he has more than enough skill from when I have watched him to have a very good chance of following in his father's skates. I guess he got his mom's size

side note- back in the day I ran into his dad and Ryan a few times when I had my daughter the same age, one time at Four's and we were talking about the kids playing hockey and told Tom I just got her into a girls team and he was pretty happy. Liked the dad, and used to defend him against the late great poster Don Cherry all the time over him:laugh:

17. ANTHONY CAMARA

Haggs wrote he put on about 10 pounds and Camara said he watched film and did studying over the summer- that commitment bodes well. He had multiple upper body injuries that have been speculated as concussions so we shall see how he responds in camp.

I love his hands, love his shot, love his hitting, don't love his fighting. Fighting is going down if not away (hopefully not) and this is good news for Camara.

He skates pretty well also. I have know idea what they will do with him, but if I was Sweeney I'd tell him to keep the fisticuffs down to someone really pissed you off or took liberties with a teammate and not go with someone who wants to spark his team.

there is so much of his game to like but discipline and maturity and common sense need to be a slice of the Camara Skills Pie Chart.

18. PETER CELHARIK

I've seen him at two DC's for about 10 eye shots; red about him on ISS and Red Line, and read the stuff on HF but he is sort of a mystery still. The hands, the hands, the hands are what it always comes back to. And he has decent size and can play with the stick towards the center of the rink like many Europeans.

I've never heard this but maybe I just am not reading the right places but he always seems described as a Marion Hossa type of player strength wise

19. JUSTIN FLOREK

Has many NHL traits, big, powerful, very strong on the boards, competitive, excellent character and told super teammate. Looks like he needs a bit to get going but not exactly a barge either. I thought he showed nice touch in Providence and can really bring it atleast in warmups. I was at his memorable 4 point first game which was pretty cool. He plays in dirty areas.

there is a chance he could carve out a pretty good career on say a third line. I am not sure how close their games are to a scout although to me it is pretty close to Mike Knuble. I'd have him watch film on this guy; Knuble bounced around, was picked up on wiaver draft and went on to bang his way to 1000 NHL games and nearly 300 goals.

20. CRAIG CUNNINGHAM

gets lost even on my list- however, he can play; not really fast but kinda quick- actually kinda a lot of good things. He works out with Ian Gallagher the Vancouver Giants strength coach (and father of the Habs pest) and one of his knocks is although he competes he needs to be stronger on the puck and I thought last year he was. Shows up and plays and usually quite well. One of my favorite all time Providence players

remember I may be perfect:loony:but this list isn't- will be fun for me at least to look back next summer

He has scored 25 goals each of last two years in the AHL

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Kirk doesn't have Knight in his top 20 FYI.

had him rated second best forward on October 1 last year before Cassidy got ahold of him and led to the recent restructuring of the development process from a new forward coach, and Sweeney overlooking the operation up close

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
That's my take. Also really really bizarre about Zane McIntyre (gothberg) typical weird goalie doing weird goalie things.

Just FYI, I've been following Zane on twitter since he was drafted and his name change is neither bizarre nor surprising. He has never mentioned his father (it's fairly obvious his mom was a single parent), and he adored his late grandmother, who he has often said was his biggest fan and backer. I get the impression the only thing he ever got from his father was his last name, and it meant nothing to him.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Well written, but a brutal ranking/list.

I love the article and I hate to criticize rankings as depending on the perspective, they usually don't mean as much as individual player assessment.

But holy moly this is one strange list. Like... WOW. Really bizarre.

I highly recommend anyone who hasn't done so to check it out. For an example Max Chudinov, Anders Bjork and Danton Heinen are ALL listed in the top 20... And Zane Gothberg (who has changed his last name to McIntyre) is in the top 5.

As vehemently as I disagree with this list (I tend to lean a little more Dan's way in terms of rankings, but have Griffith way higher ;) ) it IS a different perspective and definitely worth a read.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Just FYI, I've been following Zane on twitter since he was drafted and his name change is neither bizarre nor surprising. He has never mentioned his father (it's fairly obvious his mom was a single parent), and he adored his late grandmother, who he has often said was his biggest fan and backer. I get the impression the only thing he ever got from his father was his last name, and it meant nothing to him.

It doesn't happen often, but it seems very cool to me that Zane would do this. As much as I liked the sound of "Zane Gothberg", McIntyre seems to have meaning for him. I agree. Nothing eccentric about this... Simply a desire to honor a name that he is proud live with.

member 96824

I would flip Griffith and Knight at this point. Knight's gotta step up...draft status doesnt matter any more. Tyler Pitlick and John McFarland were picked directly around him, I can't imagine Florida and Edmonton are having these conversations.

I like Knight's skill set alot, and he definitely seems like a good kid...but at the same time, it's a results business.

Hope to see him succeed, he's the type of hockey player I love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad