News Article: Goaltending future lacks certainty for Florida Panthers

LUUUUUIS

Nov 2, 2011
Florida
What's the percentage of top-ranked goalies that are currently with the team that drafted them? I'm all for trying to draft goalies, but... I think there's a good chance our goalie after Lu will be had through trade or FA.

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
What's the percentage of top-ranked goalies that are currently with the team that drafted them? I'm all for trying to draft goalies, but... I think there's a good chance our goalie after Lu will be had through trade or FA.

I guess it depends who you include in that list, but a pretty high percentage.

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL
Informative article.

There are a few teams with a glut of goaltending prospects. Perhaps we can swap a skater for a blue-ish chip goalie prospect.

Or there's always the 2015 draft.

Yep, I could see them snagging one early in the 2015 draft (2nd round possibly) if they like the way their D/F prospects develop this year.

WinniJet

Jul 6, 2012
Pretty inconsistent in SA last season. Will probably be backing up Dan Ellis this year. He's been ok, but hardly looks like the next big thing, yet.

As I've stated before, I'm a goalie fanatic and a longtime OHL/CHL fan. I really enjoyed watching Michael Houser, John Gibson and Jack Campbell go at it over the years. When someone is quick to make a post about an OHL player of the year/CHL goalie of the year "20-21 y/o" goalie being inconsistent on a very very very poor AHL team (whose parent team hoards at least 4 young players who should be cutting teeth in SA right now not in the NHL) makes me think you truly don't understand the development of a young goalie and how it truly takes time.

Coaches and scouts loooooooove Gibson. He was definitely on a much better AHL team this year. Yet he too was "inconsistent" with the same 2 rough stretches as Houser but worse!
.795 Nov 29-Dec 20 5 starts. 1-3-0-1 and
.885 Mar 4-Mar 28 8 starts 3-5
Hell, John Gibson got called up and played well for Anaheim with those "inconsistent" numbers last year.

The truth is, if you're counting on Cowley to be a top prospect in your system based on a true talent level for a 19 y/o elite goalie who's team only plays 34 games a year v 68+ in the CHL, you're not watching enough junior hockey. At 19, he wouldn't start for any team in the OHL next season. And I won't even waste my time talking about Hugo (definitely an Oakland Raider-esque draft pick there).

I say relax, let Houser develop. Worry more about SA's poor defense and lack of depth. Brittain seems solid but he has zero pro experience v Houser's 2 years. Plus Brittain is technically older than Houser. Let Brittain get his first taste in the ECHL's long season.

Florida is fine with Houser and Brittain in the system as there young goalie prospects. Go trade for a decent 25-27 y/o goalie to put in your system if you truley want to do something productive. Pretty obvious by now what the Panther's goalie drafting guidlines are: must be a project and must be of large stature (why waste a high draft pick on a goalie when there are Ryan Miller's available to be signed every year.)

Last edited:

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
you really think so? I don't see how it's realistic for him to fathom such a request at all. Being that we have Lungo/Montoya and he's never even played a game in NA.

I'd figure if we offered him a contract it's something he'd take because what is realistic for him is to be able to fight for a back up job, perhaps Montoya would still keep it because of his experience even if Gaiduchenko outplays him in preseason. But having to be in the AHL I would also figure it's something he'd have to understand as his first step in NA…not to mention IF he ever has the ambition to play in NA it'll be with whatever we offer him.

If it wasn't the case, he'd have been in NA years ago. He makes good money in Russia, it seems like he has no interest in the AHL.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
We've never had a starting goalie we've brought through our system, that I can think of anyway. Does that say something about our system?

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
If it wasn't the case, he'd have been in NA years ago. He makes good money in Russia, it seems like he has no interest in the AHL.

Yeah I don't think so about the first part of having been here years ago. Then that must be it that he has no interest in being in the AHL/ NA, doesn't mean he has requested an NHL job just that he understands AHL is where we'd start and he simply doesn't want to bother.... Or it could just as easily be that we have simply never offered him jack...

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
We've never had a starting goalie we've brought through our system, that I can think of anyway. Does that say something about our system?

Well, Kevin Weekes, but yeah he wasn't really a starter.

I think it says a lot about how bad our AHL teams and developmental systems have been for the majority of our years. Also, this regime just doesn't like to draft goalies. And when we do, we draft them in the 7th round.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yeah I don't think so about the first part of having been here years ago. Then that must be it that he has no interest in being in the AHL/ NA, doesn't mean he has requested an NHL job just that he understands AHL is where we'd start and he simply doesn't want to bother.... Or it could just as easily be that we have simply never offered him jack...

Im sure we offered him a job at some point. Why wouldn't we?

coopdaloop123

Mar 11, 2013
FL

A lot has to do w/ the fact that the team was rarely really stocked enough to take a risk on a goaltender in the higher rounds.

Now w/ as nice a prospect pool as the team has, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on someone next year - especially given the amt of picks they have.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
exactly how many picks do we have right now?
2015;

1st
2nd
3rd
3rd (Penguins, Goc trade) [NOTE: hasn't been specified which 3rd was traded to Isles for this year's #65 Juho Lammikko)
4th
5th
5th (Habs, Weaver trade)
6th
7th
7th (Blues via Devils, along with Barch)

2016 has everything except 5th round pick that was traded for Pirri.

CoolburnIsGone

2015;

1st
2nd
3rd
3rd (Penguins, Goc trade) [NOTE: hasn't been specified which 3rd was traded to Isles for this year's #65 Juho Lammikko)
4th
5th
5th (Habs, Weaver trade)
6th
7th

So in total 9 picks but 5 of them are in rounds 5-7. If we had more picks in the earlier rounds that would be one thing but its just a bunch of late rounders. I got no problem using those picks on a goalie.

I think the org (and other teams too) have a hard time justifying using an early selection on a goalie due to the time it takes to develop one. Why use your picks hoping you can develop one when you can let other teams spend the time,money and resources to develop one for you. Just let a team like Anaheim develop a goalie for a few yrs and then trade for him. Best course of action for success IMO.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
So in total 9 picks but 5 of them are in rounds 5-7. If we had more picks in the earlier rounds that would be one thing but its just a bunch of late rounders. I got no problem using those picks on a goalie.

I think the org (and other teams too) have a hard time justifying using an early selection on a goalie due to the time it takes to develop one. Why use your picks hoping you can develop one when you can let other teams spend the time,money and resources to develop one for you. Just let a team like Anaheim develop a goalie for a few yrs and then trade for him. Best course of action for success IMO.

It also means it is going to be more expensive in terms of assets to acquire that goalie. Yes, that goalie will be further developed, but even then there's no guarantee he'll pan out. Different schools of thought, I don't think either one is right or wrong, but IMO there should be a healthy balance.

CoolburnIsGone

It also means it is going to be more expensive in terms of assets to acquire that goalie. Yes, that goalie will be further developed, but even then there's no guarantee he'll pan out. Different schools of thought, I don't think either one is right or wrong, but IMO there should be a healthy balance.
I don't see it being that much more expensive, unless you're talking about an established starter (like Ryan Miller). More often then not, the most expensive it gets s a 2nd rounder and a couple of mid-round picks (Bobrovsky, Fasth, Bernier, Bishop, etc). If you're smart about it though, you make sure you're trading for a guy that has shown he can do it in the NHL first but not become a solidified starter (see that list above).

We have drafted 2 guys in the 4th round lately, signed an undrafted guy and drafted another guy thus yr after saying we wouldn't be addressing the position. I think we have plenty of balance if you ask me.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Im sure we offered him a job at some point. Why wouldn't we?

because we had a bunch of goalies under contract including Markstrom who was still in the AHL through his tenure and we would've also heard about Gaiduchenko turning down a contract..

I'd say it's best to wait until the actual full team training camp which is the one he's come to the past 2 seasons to see if he once again performs solidly to see if he is offered a contract. If he doesn't come it means we're basically done with him.

Last edited:

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Hawks, Kings, Pens, Habs, Ducks, Detriot and NYR (and Boston, sort of) are all relying on home-grown talent to start and sometimes backup as well.

SJ, Blues, Tampa, Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton and others haven't managed to acquire and develop their own top-quality starters recently.

I didn't run any numbers, that's just off the top of my head, but I think I'd rather try and develop our own guy.

There may be a Miller every year but thes usually 3-5 teams that would like a Miller, too. And a Miller is not a Quick or a Price.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I think I have an idea…

mighty_mouse_using_pop_art_style_by_duceduc-d561xzj.png

Yours truly :D

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Hawks, Kings, Pens, Habs, Ducks, Detriot and NYR (and Boston, sort of) are all relying on home-grown talent to start and sometimes backup as well.

SJ, Blues, Tampa, Vancouver, Toronto, Edmonton and others haven't managed to acquire and develop their own top-quality starters recently.

I didn't run any numbers, that's just off the top of my head, but I think I'd rather try and develop our own guy.

There may be a Miller every year but thes usually 3-5 teams that would like a Miller, too. And a Miller is not a Quick or a Price.

Miller may not be a Quick, but he sure is a Price.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
A lot has to do w/ the fact that the team was rarely really stocked enough to take a risk on a goaltender in the higher rounds.

Now w/ as nice a prospect pool as the team has, I wouldn't be surprised to see them jump on someone next year - especially given the amt of picks they have.

Well, Kevin Weekes, but yeah he wasn't really a starter.

I think it says a lot about how bad our AHL teams and developmental systems have been for the majority of our years. Also, this regime just doesn't like to draft goalies. And when we do, we draft them in the 7th round.

Good point Coop. I can see us pushing for a solid goalie, but at least we've always traded well for a goalie, or signed a guy who's done fairly well. We seem to always have really good goaltenders, save for a year here or there.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Good point Coop. I can see us pushing for a solid goalie, but at least we've always traded well for a goalie, or signed a guy who's done fairly well. We seem to always have really good goaltenders, save for a year here or there.

Absolutely, Auld and Ellis have been the omly questionables since the lockout.

ProjectPanthers

Podcast discussing the Florida Panthers
Mar 6, 2002
Towanna
linktr.ee
Goaltending is the on position in hockey that I just do not worry about when it comes to prospect depth.

It's like pitchers in baseball. You can draft a bunch of great ones, but the majority still need a solid 5 years to really develop into pros. In that time, a lot can change (we saw that with Markstrom).

Laus makes an interesting point about us never having a starter that the team developed. I think the one position where we have actually excelled at for most of our existence has always been goaltending. We have a long list of GREAT NHL goaltenders that have warn the Panther red.

A lot of times, goalies will just emerge out of nowhere. Someone you drafted in the 7th round suddenly "gets it" and comes to camp on fire. Another team's backup suddenly threatens the starter and that team wants to move one of them (ala Luongo in Van City). I think it is a lot harder to acquire top-end forwards or d-men over goaltending. Of course you need strong goaltending to win the Cup, we've seen that proven almost every year, but that doesn't mean there aren't goalies almost always.

I still think we draft someone somewhat early in next year's draft or pick off someone else's prospect since we are stacked at center and defense.

rockit2112

Jul 8, 2013
2015;

1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
5th (Habs, Weaver trade)
6th
7th

Didn't we trade our 3rd in 2015 to get Lammikko?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad