News Article: Goaltending future lacks certainty for Florida Panthers

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
wait... our future was "certain" a 2-3 years ago. we had the "best goaltending prospect in the league".

liked winnjet's post. seems a reasonable next step - pick up a guy who's developed a bit more and put him at the top of the heap in SA. let houser get some seasoning.

i'm not terribly worried about the current situation. somehow, we've managed to pull together pretty good goaltending (with a couple of exceptions) over the years through FA. that's never been the this organization's limiting factor.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I don't see it being that much more expensive, unless you're talking about an established starter (like Ryan Miller). More often then not, the most expensive it gets s a 2nd rounder and a couple of mid-round picks (Bobrovsky, Fasth, Bernier, Bishop, etc). If you're smart about it though, you make sure you're trading for a guy that has shown he can do it in the NHL first but not become a solidified starter (see that list above).

We have drafted 2 guys in the 4th round lately, signed an undrafted guy and drafted another guy thus yr after saying we wouldn't be addressing the position. I think we have plenty of balance if you ask me.

But sometimes you trade a 2nd for a goalie and they still flame out(ex. Lindback). So you're still taking a considerable risk. And often you're paying more than if you just drafted a guy(unless you use a 1st rounder on him).

As you say, 2 of our 4 goalie prospects were 4th round picks. The highest we've drafted any of our current goalie prospects is the 4th round. I'd like to see us use a 2nd or 3rd on a goalie once in a while. The last time we did that was 2008, 6 years ago. That's an abberation when compared with the rest of the league. I'm fine with using late round picks on goalies some years too, but I'd also like to see some 2nd and 3rd round picks as well. If we think we are going to find our next starter in the 7th round or in the undrafted scrap heap pile, then we have another think coming. I know, some goalies have risen up from very low depths, but its extremely rare these days. I don't mind us trading for a young goalie once in a while, but be serious about drafting them too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad