Player Discussion Goaltending a strength of this team?

What do you think of our goaltending?

• I thought it was a strength, but now don’t

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So Tipp talked last year about how our goaltending was a strength of the team, and then our goalies were horrific in the playins and to start this year. Then Smitty came in circa 2011 Mike Smith, and even Koski has bounced back from his like .870 SV%. I’m curious what people’s current opinions are now, compared to at the start of the season/last year

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
We are getting great tending now and the team is doing really well. The last time this team had any real success we had great tending. All else is the same, our scorers still score our D is still up and down at best.

Koskinen is still not good despite his good last game, Smith has been awesome but is still a house of cards. If the team wants to actually be good long term and challenge for a cup tending has to be addressed long term.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So Tipp talked last year about how our goaltending was a strength of the team, and then our goalies were horrific in the playins and to start this year. Then Smitty came in circa 2011 Mike Smith, and even Koski has bounced back from his like .870 SV%. I’m curious what people’s current opinions are now, compared to at the start of the season/last year
Our goaltending is a strength. In this snapshot today, best in the division

It still needs a long term fix. We can try that in the offseason

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Smith deserves mad props. As other people have said "goalies are voodoo". 39 yr old putting up vezina numbers confirms this......the potential long term solution might quickly turn into a long term anchor.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Like I posted over in the PGT, the Oilers have the second best save percentage in the league since Smith’s first game.

Since Feb 8th:
Smith: 2.30 GAA, .924 SV%
Koskinen: 2.25 GAA, .929 SV%

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Like I posted over in the PGT, the Oilers have the second best save percentage in the league since Smith’s first game.

Since Feb 8th:
Smith: 2.30 GAA, .924 SV%
Koskinen: 2.25 GAA, .929 SV%
It makes me wonder if the best course might be to keep Koskinen, if Smith starts showing his age. I hate to say that because I'm all on board with Smith, but if we buy out Koskinen, then we have two years of dead cap on a good goalie who might excel elsewhere. We better be sure we know why Koskinen was so bad at the start of the season. That's something that isn't all that uncommon even with good goalies, to have a rough stretch while their team is figuring out the roster in front of them.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I went with the first option.

I definitely got the goalies mixed up though. Before the season, I thought Koskinen would step up and run with it, but the rough start and Smith injury sealed that.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
It makes me wonder if the best course might be to keep Koskinen, if Smith starts showing his age. I hate to say that because I'm all on board with Smith, but if we buy out Koskinen, then we have two years of dead cap on a good goalie who might excel elsewhere. We better be sure we know why Koskinen was so bad at the start of the season. That's something that isn't all that uncommon even with good goalies, to have a rough stretch while their team is figuring out the roster in front of them.

I’m definitely not against keeping Koskinen for another season. He’s proven he’s a pretty solid goalie when he’s rested and doesn’t have a heavy workload.

The hard part is finding a guy to play 50+ games ahead of him while he’s being paid what he is.

destl

Jul 31, 2005
Czech Rep.
I’m definitely not against keeping Koskinen for another season. He’s proven he’s a pretty solid goalie when he’s rested and doesn’t have a heavy workload.

The hard part is finding a guy to play 50+ games ahead of him while he’s being paid what he is.
Stuart Skinner says hi

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

I'd argue that overpaying for goaltending for a year would be acceptable, especially if you have a back up who is as good as Koskinen is. Vegas was rumored to be trying to trade Fleury, but keeping him ended up being a great setup, with great injury insurance, which is underrated

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Goaltending has far out kicked its coverage from what I expected this season. Primarily that is Smith turning in an elite level season after starting it as an old, injured goalie. Tippett knew better on a tender with whom he's had a long history and clearly trusts and believes in. Smith has simply seized the reigns to get the overwhelming number of starts through this stretch drive. I like that Koskinen is described as a worker who puts the time and effort to sharpen his game. But I don't think he has the intangibles to compete and seize a #1 starter role.

I can't see anyway the Oilers pass on bringing Smith back next year. However, as a hopeful contending team, is a Smith Koskinen combo good enough to backstop a team looking to move into elite Cup contending status? I'm skeptical after Holland's early free agent call this year to Markstrom. Can your roll the dice on a younger, prime year hopeful like Ullmark, Drieger to mentor and learn under Smith for a year or maybe two if the old guy holds up? Do you move on to an established NHL prime year guy to roll with Smith?

Will be very interesting to watch this position over the off season. Said it before but will again, I think it worth looking at Smith post-career being offered a Director of Goaltending position to work with their pipeline of tenders at all level on the mental side of playing this high pressure position (fostering skills of resiliency, grit and determination) along with skills in handling the puck. Pair Smith with the established goalie coaches who can focus on technical skills, puck tracking and the like.

Furthermore, look at this topsy turvy draft year of uncertainty to finally use a mid/late first rounder to select an elite prospect goaltender with Wallstedt or backyard Cossa to fill in a mid-term (3 year+) development position of need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad