Goaltenders Body Type

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
I just watched a video of a Matt Murray interview and I was blown away.

How does a guy who looks like he weighs maybe 10 lbs look so big in the net? How is he so good?
He doesn't look like an athlete at all, almost the opposite of Phil Kessel.
His arms look like toothpicks. Do you need to be lightweight to be agile enough in those huge pads?

Keep in mind I'm a fatty so I'm not saying I'm superior to him at all just weird for a pro athlete to look like that in my mind. I would say he looks more like as soccer player but even some of them have bulkier bodies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016

How does a guy who looks like he weighs maybe 10 lbs look so big in the net? How is he so good?
His arms look like toothpicks. Do you need to be lightweight to be agile enough in those huge pads?

Keep in mind I'm a fatty so I'm not saying I'm superior to him at all just weird for a pro athlete to look like that in my mind. I would say he looks more like as soccer player but even some of them have bulkier bodies.

Umm have you seen Ryan Miller? Just gotta be lanky to be a goalie . Pads will do the rest

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

And I thought my arms were thin.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
There it is, the problem with the goalies equipment. Yesterday I saw an angle of what Forsberg was seeing when he had a 2-1, the Pens goalie just covered every angle. Hardly any net was viewable. It's crazy.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Umm have you seen Ryan Miller? Just gotta be lanky to be a goalie . Pads will do the rest

Or the best goalie ever Hasek. Hasek is so thin and gumby like it is crazy. He practically looks anorexic.

At the same time Brodeur is tall but actually a bit overweight for an NHL player.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

extra.jpg

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Oh look. Another misinformed goalie equipment size thread is about to start.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Or the best goalie ever Hasek. Hasek is so thin and gumby like it is crazy. He practically looks anorexic.

At the same time Brodeur is tall but actually a bit overweight for an NHL player.

You know speaking of overweight. When I was still a teen Tim Thomas defiled everything I thought you had to be to become an NHL player. Legit he was short, he was overweight, he was old, and yet had that insane Conn Symthe performance. Because of Tim Thomas, legit I actually went days and days back in 2013 my grad year (Technically 2012 would be my draft year as I am a February, 1994 birthday) skipping class, eating little, sleeping very little, just to workout and practice skating and hockey in general to the point of insanity and I ended up injuring my face from a skate.... It was a terrible terrible decision that ended up getting me PTSD, a lot of pain, losing a lot of friends, getting infatuated and associating with the wrong people and crowd respectively, and terrible grades. Because of that terrible decision, I'm literally not in university even as of today even though my grades prior to then were in the 80s...

But yeah nevertheless Tim Thomas was a huge inspiration to me before, not anymore though of course. He just made me realize it's never too late if you put your mind to it, but at the same time you'll always have your own limitations no matter how hard you work/practice. Also you have to work smart, it's not just working hard, it's working smart as well. Also most people can't put their mind to it no matter how hard they try and there's no shame in that.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Misinformed? Please. Gear these days is meant more to cover the net and block pucks than prevent injury. All you need is a little common sense to see that.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Misinformed? Please. Gear these days is meant more to cover the net and block pucks than prevent injury. All you need is a little common sense to see that.

Gear has always been designed to do both, and the sizes have been reduced from the 70s and 80s for various pieces. They grew a bit around the late 90s but got reined in with the lockout year.

Its misinformed because people only look at pictures from different angles and stances to make their conclusions rather than going to the exact gear measurements used.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
well it's clear you never played goalie or just weren't good at it. You don't need to be super ripped. It's all about following the puck and reflexes mostly. You don't need strength to overpower people. Amazing skating to skate quick or any of the other things

pitcher

Jun 18, 2012

I'm pretty informed about it as a goaltender myself who played at highest level up to junior.

In my opinion there is a serious problem with goalie equipment size. I truly think that on top of some equipment pieces that should have overall smaller dimension regulations, that there should be rules for equipment size based on individual goalie body dimensions. For exemple, the limitations on the width of your chest piece/shoulder piece should be base on your torso width/shoulder width. Same with the pants. The limitations on your pads length should be based on the heigth of your knees, and the extra padding above the knee should be shorter like it used to be before Koho/Lefebvre added all these extra inches.

Why? Because the way it is now, it allows smaller/lighter goalies, who often are faster, to wear equipment that makes them cover way too much space in front of the net. Look how goalies were in the 90s for example. There was a better mix of big goalies and smaller quicker reflex based goalies imo.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Simple answer is that some people are just really really good at what they do.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I'm pretty informed about it as a goaltender myself who played at highest level up to junior.

In my opinion there is a serious problem with goalie equipment size. I truly think that on top of some equipment pieces that should have overall smaller dimension regulations, that there should be rules for equipment size based on individual goalie body dimensions. For exemple, the limitations on the width of your chest piece/shoulder piece should be base on your torso width/shoulder width. Same with the pants. The limitations on your pads length should be based on the heigth of your knees, and the extra padding above the knee should be shorter like it used to be before Koho/Lefebvre added all these extra inches.

Why? Because the way it is now, it allows smaller/lighter goalies, who often are faster, to wear equipment that makes them cover way too much space in front of the net. Look how goalies were in the 90s for example. There was a better mix of big goalies and smaller quicker reflex based goalies imo.

Knee pads are the worst now. They used to rise a couple inches above the knee but now most goalies have them go to arond the waist, fully closing the five hole while in the butterfly

Price221.jpg

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Knee pads are the worst now. They used to rise a couple inches above the knee but now most goalies have them go to arond the waist, fully closing the five hole while in the butterfly

Price221.jpg

Uhm, in this photo... that would be his mid thigh, not his waist.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I think size kind of dictates style. Sometimes you get a monster in net like Andersen or you get the opposite in Miller. Bobrovsky usually plays somewhere in the 180's but a year ago beefed up thinking the strength would help so he was over 200 (which is weird on his frame) and it just resulted in multiple groin injuries.
I think you have to be an absolute special athlete to be a shade under 220 and play goal the way Quick does

Arturs Irbe

Not The Real Arturs
Jan 22, 2017
well it's clear you never played goalie or just weren't good at it. You don't need to be super ripped. It's all about following the puck and reflexes mostly. You don't need strength to overpower people. Amazing skating to skate quick or any of the other things

I thought I had made that clear in the OP?

If you played goaltender yourself, what was the highest level you achieved?
It would be interesting to hear from a goaltender who's played at a decent level.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Gear has always been designed to do both, and the sizes have been reduced from the 70s and 80s for various pieces. They grew a bit around the late 90s but got reined in with the lockout year.

Its misinformed because people only look at pictures from different angles and stances to make their conclusions rather than going to the exact gear measurements used.

do you think this is reasonable?

IMG_6712-1.jpg

what are that floater and those flaps protecting from injury? chest and arms are out of control. this staypuft marshmallow man stuff isn't necessary any more, high density/memory foams and carbon fiber are miles ahead technologically and cheap as hell compared to the 2000s but all we do is slightly taper the pants? like yeah, maybe we needed that size when your pads were stuffed with horse hair but we don't.

i don't have a tremendous issue with the state of leg pads outside of some minor tweaks but chest and arms are outrageous. you ever seen some of these goalies sitting on the bench? they're effectively sitting inside a barrel, the shoulder protection comes up to their nose and their chin is inside. jakob markstrom comes to mind first off, his floater is up to his ears. that's doing nothing but filling space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad