Goaltender Errata and Minutia

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Article from late in Martin Brodeur's rookie year (New York Daily News, February 10, 1994).

Daily_News_Thu__Feb_10__1994_.jpg

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Here are four articles (three from the Calgary Herald, one from the Philadelphia Inquirer) on the Marc D'Amour controversy regarding water bottle usage on the goaltender's net in January of 1986.

The issue appears to have first come to a head during the 1985 Stanley Cup Finals when Pelle Lindbergh was doing it (although Joe Pelletier credits Lindbergh's teammate, Bob Froese, for starting it).

Anyhow, here's the story of D'Amour and his dehydration (tweets are in sequence).

Reactions: Sanf and Killion

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
So Mikko Koskinen wears #19, which is an unusual number for a North American goaltender. In fact, I can find only one instance - one game - where another goaltender has worn #19 in the NHL:

I've got second-hand knowledge that the Colorado Avalanche television broadcast last night mentioned three goaltenders who have worn #19 in NHL history. Presumably, two are Koskinen and Dion, but I cannot find a third. Any ideas?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
So Mikko Koskinen wears #19, which is an unusual number for a North American goaltender. In fact, I can find only one instance - one game - where another goaltender has worn #19 in the NHL:

I've got second-hand knowledge that the Colorado Avalanche television broadcast last night mentioned three goaltenders who have worn #19 in NHL history. Presumably, two are Koskinen and Dion, but I cannot find a third. Any ideas?

At the developmental level thru junior, with smaller rosters, the two goalies usually wore #s 1 & 19.

Reactions: BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
At the developmental level thru junior, with smaller rosters, the two goalies usually wore #s 1 & 19.
Correct. Jerseys were the property of the club/association and often used for several seasons, the numbers following a clear sequence. Even jersey size was often connected to the numbers — 1 and 19 the biggest jerseys in a set prior to the advent of “goalie cut” jerseys.

Reactions: Killion

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012

Well I know that you know this, but it was pretty common goalie number in Europe due to smaller roster size (For example Jorma Valtonen). I Don´t know if that was the reason why Koskinen has chosen it. Markus Mattsson wore it before he left to NA, but seriously doubt he ever wore it in there. No reason to standout like that.

I don´t know the goalies who have wore it, but I would be surprised if there was only three in NHL history. I have seen some old NHL roster lists and the backup/reserve goalies got often the last (or one of the) number in team. For example in 1926-1927 Herb Stuart had 14. So did Frenchy Lacroix. Red McCusker had 12. Moe Roberts 16. (though only Stuart played that season) So when the rosters grew bigger I would guess someone had to wear 19?

Reactions: Doctor No

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Thank you, Sanf! This is great - I still haven't heard a good reason why Koskiken wears #19 - it seems to be a popular Finland-specific number (Teemu Lassila has also worn it).

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Thank you, Sanf! This is great - I still haven't heard a good reason why Koskiken wears #19 - it seems to be a popular Finland-specific number (Teemu Lassila has also worn it).

Teemu inherited it from his father Hannu. I don´t know if Koskinen had family member/idol who played with #19.

hannu-lassila-of-team-finland-blocks-the-puck-in-a-game-against-the-picture-id159240064

Did not realize that Favell and Parent played together already in OHA...

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Goaltenders with decisions in three mutual-elimination Stanley Cup playoff series in a single playoffs, 1968 to present:

Jonathan Quick (2014) 3-0
Tim Thomas (2011) 3-0

Felix Potvin (1993) 2-1
Patrick Roy (2002) 2-1

Goaltenders who won two mutual-elimination Stanley Cup playoff series in a single playoffs, 1968 to present:

Don Beaupre (1984)
Ben Bishop (2015)
Dan Bouchard (1982)
Martin Brodeur (2003)
Ken Dryden (1971)
Brian Elliott (2016)
Marc-Andre Fleury (2009)
Mario Gosselin (1985)
Jaroslav Halak (2010)
Glenn Hall (1968)
Curtis Joseph (2002)
Nikolai Khabibulin (2004)
Henrik Lundqvist (2012)
Henrik Lundqvist (2014)
Greg Millen (1986)
Felix Potvin (1993)
Jonathan Quick (2014) [won three]
Mike Richter (1994)
Patrick Roy (2001)
Patrick Roy (2002)
Tim Thomas (2011) [won three]
Mike Vernon (1986)
Cam Ward (2006)
Cam Ward (2009)

Since most of the responses will be of the form "why in the hell did you do that?", I was adding some fields to my database and noticed that Greg Millen did it in 1986 and wondered how rare it was.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Robert Gordon Orr

Dec 3, 2009

The third one is Claude Bourque as a rookie with the Montreal Canadiens in 1938/39.
According to the Canadiens media guide Gerry McNeil also wore # 19 in 1949/50, but the NHL boxscores have him wearing # 1 and # 12.

original.png

Claude Bourque 1938

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Vancouver Province, September 19, 1978. Fun read on the Canucks' goaltending battle (Gary Bromley, Curt Ridley, Richard Martens, Glen Hanlon, Normand Lapointe). I won't spoil how it turned out.

Reactions: SealsFan

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Interesting situation here as I've been trying to untangle some of my game logs. Gary Laskoski is listed in all current media as having signed as a free agent with the Los Angeles Kings on October 22, 1982. The problem with that date is that Laskoski debuted for the Kings on October 6, and had played five NHL games by October 22:

Gary Laskoski

So when did he actually sign? Interesting note from the Los Angeles Times, October 21:

The_Los_Angeles_Times_Thu__Oct_21__1982_.jpg

(Newspapers.com oddly enough doesn't have Page 4, so I can't see the rest of this story). This is corroborated by stories around Laskoski's October 6th debut, suggesting that he was with the Kings on a tryout contract and didn't actually sign until what I believe to be October 21st (not the 22nd), since the story was in papers continent-wide on the 22nd. Saskatoon Star-Phoenix:

Star_Phoenix_Fri__Oct_22__1982_.jpg

I'm not familiar with the league rules regarding contracts around this time - it appears that Laskoski was on a PTO (or whatever the analog was in 1982). I welcome anyone with citations or primary sources here.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I tried to figure that out few years ago. In this post there is clip which says that "Laskoski does not have a contract, and the Kings have until Oct. 21 to decide if they will:" Sadly I have missed the papers date. Interesting situation.

Worst NHL Goalie Ever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad