Goals against

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa gave up a ton last year and in his year end media availablity, Paul Maclean mentioned h wanted to shave off about 50 goals this year.

So how do we do it? What contriutions do we need to reach that goal and how achievable is it?

Here's my take;

Spezza gone: This one hurts the offence, but helps on the goals against front. I still think healthy he's a net positive, but the high risk high reward/ high instance brand of hockey his lines have employed here probably add up to about 5extra goals a year when compared to what the tandem replacing his minutes will allow (Zibanejad/Legwand)

Healthy Karlsson: I think a rejuvinated and healthy Karlsson will probably shave off a few goals from last years outing; he likely can't be any worse. imo, we can probably save 5 more goals against here, maybe more.

Goalies bouncing back: Anderson and Lehner were up and down last year, combining for a team .909 sv%. If they can get that up to .915, there' another 16goals shaved off, if they manage their career average with ottawa of a combied .919, it's a 27 goal difference. Lets split the difference and hope for 22 goals here.

Maturing young D Corps: I think with Cowen, Wiercioch, and Ceci all getting another year of experience, we can probably shave off a few rookie mistake goals; I'm hoping for 5 here.

Stay out of the box: I don't much faith that we an do this one, but it could make a big difference. I'll cautiously hope for 3 less PP goals against.

Shorthanded Goals against: We gave up 10 SHGA last year, the three seasons prior were 4, 7, and 1(prorates to 2 over an 82 games sched). I think we can cut last years number in half, so there's 5 goals

Reduce the shots against: We gave up a ton to the tune of almost 35 a game. We should be able to realistically reduce that number to about 30 but I'll project based on 32. Though some the effect of reducing shots against is already accounted for in the above points, I think it's fair to project a few more goals against saved here as well, so a conservative 5 extra goals (trust me when I say it could be more, just using last years sv% and 30 shots per game would have saved 35 goals against and 20 goals against at 32 shots pr game.

So there you have it, 50 less goals against. I think all the above is acheivable, and the only fear I have is the potential for further regression of Phillips and Neil, but tbh, if that happens they probably are out of the lineup.

Last edited:

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
With a healthy Ryan and a breakout from Zibanejad; Stone getting good mates; a better Michalek; the addition of Legwand and Chaisson; Cowen finding his stride; Karlsson paying more attention to detail; an more mature Dcorps and goalies upping their game I agree, we can get close to 50 off the sheet. A Goal every two games for sure.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
Taking less penalties can significantly reduce goals against. IMO goaltending wasn't bad, it was the D that made them look bad.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Taking less penalties can significantly reduce goals against. IMO goaltending wasn't bad, it was the D that made them look bad.

I can see your point of view, but there were times Anderson looked small in nets and seemed to have lost some confidence (in both himself and his D), Lehner also had some moments where it was definately on him. I don't see getting the goalie Sv% up to .915 or higher being a criticism solely of the goalies; team defence plays a part in achieving that, as does taking fewer penalties.

It's the interdependability of all the variable that makes this excercise difficult imo.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Yeah, taking less penalties - especially the lazy ones (Cowen and Smith!) should help the goaltending scenario. Taking out Spezza's crap '2-way play (lol)' and inserting hungry, young players and David Legwand should also go a long way.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
If the team plays responsible 5-man unit hard backchecking hockey, then there's no reason why we can't be in the 205-220 GA range. Just being more responsible defensively will be a massive improvement on our defensive performance last year.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Last season the Senators scored 229 goals for and had a goals against of 258. I voted for lowering the goals against by 21-30. I am hoping the goals against will be reduced from 258 to 228. I expect the offense to score about the same as last year. Net result will hopefully let the team make the playoffs.

BigBush*

Still very concerned about this teams D.
Methot-Karlsson are a legit top pairing, but then a bottom 4 of...
Philips-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba/Wiercoch

is a little questionable. It didn't work last year and management is content on giving it another shot. Fairly risky I would say.

I actually like the teams forwards, good two way players throughout the line up.

I voted reducing 11-20 goals against. But I trust Maclean so 50 would be sweet

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I went with the more optimistic pick but I think somewhere in the range of 20-35 goals off last years totals is totally plausible. Our goalies have to bounce back and our young D need to step up. Spezza leaving is going to make it harder to score and put a lot of pressure on our young forwards to produce but the absence of his shoddy defensive zone play will help us become a more reliable team.

The Fuhr*

I'd like to see the Sens improve the SA/G
Over the last few years only Toronto has been consistently worse

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
Still very concerned about this teams D.
Methot-Karlsson are a legit top pairing, but then a bottom 4 of...
Philips-Ceci
Cowen-Gryba/Wiercoch

is a little questionable. It didn't work last year and management is content on giving it another shot. Fairly risky I would say.

I actually like the teams forwards, good two way players throughout the line up.

I voted reducing 11-20 goals against. But I trust Maclean so 50 would be sweet

Reduce penalties(especially dumb ones Chris)
Play a 200 ft game( see ya Jason)
Get the pivots right (EriK and Jared)
Win battles on the boards( Patrick)
Stop the pucks(Robin Craig)
WE MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'd like to see the Sens improve the SA/G
Over the last few years only Toronto has been consistently worse

I think we'll see some improvement on that front moving from Spezza to Legwand. Spezza has always played higher event hockey relative to the team.

All that said, our team plays a system that will always allow more shots, so we aren't going to drop much below 30 shots per game unless that changes no matter who the personelle is.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- while I think reducing the number of penalties is always a good idea there are also a good number of phantom calls made by referees that are undeserving.
- it would be nice to see more blocked shots as well.
- I have to think that the biggest difference this yr will be that we have many more two way players on the roster who are defensively consious & will get back to break up plays which should redduce goals against.
- I expect that the goalies will play much better this yr as should the defence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad