Goalies

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Also Mason's team, the Charlottetown Islanders, aren't supposed to be a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination as far as I've heard, yet he's got them third in their division. :)

There are many positives to take from Mason McDonald so far.
It should also be noted that the Islanders offense is pretty much a black hole too. There are only 4 teams in the Q that have a lower goals/game than Charlottetown and despite being the 3rd most penalized team they have a top 5 PK, and we all know the saying about who a teams best penalty killer is.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Instead of looking at his stats alone, try adding some context. Almost all QMJHL goaltenders have mediocre numbers at best.

His GAA is 6th in the Q
His SV% is 3rd in the Q
His wins are 6th in the Q
His minutes are 3rd in the Q
His totals saves is 3rd in the Q

Maybe with that context they are looking more like the numbers of a starting goaltender?

Also McDonald played 29 games last year, you are only looking at his numbers after he was traded.

BTW I knew the numbers in the Q were bad for goalies because I looked them up around the draft, but I was expecting him to be around 10th in each when I looked. It was a pleasant surprise to see him 6th and 3rd in every category except shutouts.

Well I did say all I saw was stats as I don't watch that team at all.

But even in context for a 2nd round pick goalie...thats not very good.

I mean it just means the Q goalies this year just aren't very good. The leader is 913 and the next is 909. I don't know personally but howmany goalies in the Q 2nd year are 0.904 and become starters?

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

I mean it just means the Q goalies this year just aren't very good. The leader is 913 and the next is 909. I don't know personally but howmany goalies in the Q 2nd year are 0.904 and become starters?

Roberto Luongo posted a .902 SV% in his second year in the Q. His highest SV% in the Q actually is a .914. Fleury posted a .915 in his second year in the Q, and a .910 SV% in his third year in the Q.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

stats in the Q always look like that for goaltenders.

For example Marc-Andre Fleury only had .910sv% and 3.36gaa in his draft year and went first overall. Luongo's best season in the Q was a 3.09gaa and .908sv% and that was the season following being drafted 1st overall.

Occasionally a goaltender will play on a stacked team and have a good GAA, like Fucale did for a couple years. But even with the stacked teams he only has a career best of .909 and this is a guy that many thought would go in the first round.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, but more than anything it seems like you really have no idea how hard the QMJHL is on the stats of goaltenders.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
J.S. Giguere was also a goaltender from the Q with some unkind stats that was drafted in the first round that eventually turned into an NHL starting goaltender.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
stats in the Q always look like that for goaltenders.

For example Marc-Andre Fleury only had .910sv% and 3.36gaa in his draft year and went first overall. Luongo's best season in the Q was a 3.09gaa and .908sv% and that was the season following being drafted 1st overall.

Occasionally a goaltender will play on a stacked team and have a good GAA, like Fucale did for a couple years. But even with the stacked teams he only has a career best of .909 and this is a guy that many thought would go in the first round.

I'm not saying this to be a dick, but more than anything it seems like you really have no idea how hard the QMJHL is on the stats of goaltenders.

Possibly. But the goalies you are bringing up don't support your conclusion.

The current Q goalie leader is 913. MAF in his draft year posts 910 but his prior year is 915 and post draft he goes 933 in 10 games.

Luongo I guess is a closer comparison. His draft year is 902 then he posts 889 then ends when traded at 903.

JSG I can't see his % but his GAA 3.94. He goes to 895 then 902. He is a likelier example I guess. But back then the Q was REALLY high scoring. Scoring is a lot more evened out between the 3 leagues now i know.

MacDonald is drafted at 907 but he only has 16 games played. So far this season he has dropped to 904, slightly concerning but not really since I assumed 907 was because of small sample size. Considering how few goalies have low sav % to me its quite concerning for a 2nd round goalie pick. I don't profess to know much about Q goalie stats though like I said. I'm just looking at them straight on.

Ultimately I'm concerned about this pick in general, and that's the gist of it really. We have Ortio and Gillies so I'm not concerned in general though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

The current Q goalie leader is 913. MAF in his draft year posts 910 but his prior year is 915 and post draft he goes 933 in 10 games.

Luongo I guess is a closer comparison. His draft year is 902 then he posts 889 then ends when traded at 903.

JSG I can't see his % but his GAA 3.94. He goes to 895 then 902. He is a likelier example I guess. But back then the Q was REALLY high scoring. Scoring is a lot more evened out between the 3 leagues now i know.

MacDonald is drafted at 907 but he only has 16 games played. So far this season he has dropped to 904, slightly concerning but not really since I assumed 907 was because of small sample size. Considering how few goalies have low sav % to me its quite concerning for a 2nd round goalie pick. I don't profess to know much about Q goalie stats though like I said. I'm just looking at them straight on.

Ultimately I'm concerned about this pick in general, and that's the gist of it really. We have Ortio and Gillies so I'm not concerned in general though.

If you're going to be worried about this pick, I'd say now isn't the time. If you start worrying now, you're going to have a good four years of worrying ahead of you. You're never going to be able to find a strong correlation between goalies' stats in junior and in the NHL, so just put the game on and let Mason simmer in the background for a few years.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
If you're going to be worried about this pick, I'd say now isn't the time. If you start worrying now, you're going to have a good four years of worrying ahead of you. You're never going to be able to find a strong correlation between goalies' stats in junior and in the NHL, so just put the game on and let Mason simmer in the background for a few years.

Fair enough, I was just voicing my lack of confidence in McDonald really. Overall we're in a good place and I think Gillies is the goalie of the future :)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

MacDonald was not drafted with a .907 sv%, that is what his save percentage after he was traded last year. His sv% with Acadie-Bathhurst as a backup before the trade was only .887. Which averaged out to .900 even on the season.

I think a better way to look at things is like this. In 39 games as a backup in Acadie-Bathurst he put up a .885sv% since he was traded to Charlottetown and made a starter he has a .905sv% in 54 games and has been one of the better goaltenders in the Q while doing so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad