Goalies

anthonyovitt

Sep 2, 2013
Hubert NC
Hello. I'm a Carolina fan. I'm from upstate NY though, near Glens Falls where the Adirondack Flames play. I look at these boards a lot, but don't really post much. I'm wondering what you guys think will be the goalie outlook for the next year, 2 years, and 3 years? Right now, based on numbers it looks like Ortio is the best in the organization. Do the Flames seem to favor him, Gillies, or MacDonald as the goaltender of the future? How does the fan base in Calgary feel about Hiller/Ramo? Just wondering what you all think.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's definitely up for discussion. Honestly Gillies has had us all drooling for a few seasons now, and Ortio got kind of overlooked. He is now giving us reason to not overlook him. As much as I like Ramo, and to a lesser extend Hiller, both of those goalies look right now like they won't be needed maybe as early as next season. We'll see.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Yeah, I'd say Gillies has had everyone really excited the last few seasons. Last season was where we got a decent look at Ortio in nine games (except AF, who saw a lot of Ortio in Abbotsford), and he kind of popped up on the radar for some fans again. I can see Ramo or Hiller being gone by the end of this season, assuming Ortio can continue this performance; even if he doesn't, he will be on a one way next season, so I think the plan is to have him up with the Flames next season regardless of the Hiller/Ramo situation.

As for fan feelings about Ramo and Hiller? I think we all like them both, but as has been noted in some other threads, Ramo is more steady with consecutive starts, while Hiller has higher highs but lower lows in his game.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Personally I hope we trade Hiller at the deadline for team looking for someone to push their goalie going into the playoffs like SJ. I think is the better of the 2 and Hiller seems to always throw the team under bus when we lose.

As far as the prospects go, I think we have to have one of the top goalie prospect pools around the NHL.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Boomer was saying on the radio this morning that no one would even claim Ramo if we waived him, I don't know what he's smoking.

I think Ramo should be dealt, get all the futures we can.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Boomer was saying on the radio this morning that no one would even claim Ramo if we waived him, I don't know what he's smoking.

I think Ramo should be dealt, get all the futures we can.

Which Boomer? That's brutal. You can bet Edmonton would be all over him.

haQ Loob

Oct 31, 2006
I wonder how Hiller will feel if he isn't starting against his old team in Anaheim tomorrow night. Think it might make him the 1A/1B more likely to want out?

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wonder how Hiller will feel if he isn't starting against his old team in Anaheim tomorrow night. Think it might make him the 1A/1B more likely to want out?

Nah. He should be aware that Ortio is the better option right now.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Hello. I'm a Carolina fan. I'm from upstate NY though, near Glens Falls where the Adirondack Flames play. I look at these boards a lot, but don't really post much. I'm wondering what you guys think will be the goalie outlook for the next year, 2 years, and 3 years? Right now, based on numbers it looks like Ortio is the best in the organization. Do the Flames seem to favor him, Gillies, or MacDonald as the goaltender of the future? How does the fan base in Calgary feel about Hiller/Ramo? Just wondering what you all think.

Goalies are so hard to predict that we're just happy to have a few potentially good ones.

1a probably still Gillies; he's massive (even more so due to his positional play) and has that very fast glove like Rinne.

1b Ortio reads the game so well and has such quickness that he compares to Kipper.

3 MacDonald I havent seen nearly enough of but there are people who like him over the other star QMJHL goalie Fucale.

I think people would like to see us retain Ramo over Hiller at the deadline/draft as he's shown some solid play and is still young enough to hold on to if the prospects don't make it, but by virtue of contracts we are prepared to see him on another team next year.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I'm a huge fan of Gillies (obviously) but Ortio looks really solid. I feel that Ortio will be average/slightly above average starter in the NHL then Gillies and McDonald are bigger risks but higher rewards. Although Ortio's been stellar in his stint.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I have Ortio ahead of Gillies (and have for while now) but both of those guys are pretty much seen as the future in net. MacDonald is pretty raw and much further away - too soon really to know precisely what the organization has in him.

Hiller and Ramo are both stop gaps and likely little else. Possible one of them turn into full time backups.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
2015/2016:

I think we see Hiller/Ortio as the NHL goalies. Gillies will step into the AHL and try to establish himself there. Mason MacDonald will continue to develop in the QMJHL.

2016/2017:

Its possibly we see Ortio take the reigns as starter or, Hiller maintains his position as starter (this is assuming we resign him, if not who knows). Gillies should hopefully be developing well in the AHL as starter, McDonald maybe comes to the AHL, not sure what would happen with him actually, maybe someone else can chime in.

2017/2018:

Assuming all goes to plan, Ortio or Gillies is our starter by now, unless they both bust. Backup could be Hiller, or anyone this far out really.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
2015/2016:

I think we see Hiller/Ortio as the NHL goalies. Gillies will step into the AHL and try to establish himself there. Mason MacDonald will continue to develop in the QMJHL.

2016/2017:

Its possibly we see Ortio take the reigns as starter or, Hiller maintains his position as starter (this is assuming we resign him, if not who knows). Gillies should hopefully be developing well in the AHL as starter, McDonald maybe comes to the AHL, not sure what would happen with him actually, maybe someone else can chime in.

2017/2018:

Assuming all goes to plan, Ortio or Gillies is our starter by now, unless they both bust. Backup could be Hiller, or anyone this far out really.
I see this as most likely.

Year| NHL Starter| NHL Backup| AHL Starter| AHL Backup
2015/16| Hiller| Ortio| Thiessen| Gillies|
2016/17| Ortio| Hiller| Gillies| Thiessen or UFA|
2017/18| Ortio| Hiller| Gillies| MacDonald|
2018/19| Ortio| Gillies | MacDonald| UFA|
2019/20| Ortio| Gillies| MacDonald| 2015/16 draft pick|
2020/21|Gillies |Ortio| MacDonald | 2015/16 draft pick|

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
I see this as most likely.

Year| NHL Starter| NHL Backup| AHL Starter| AHL Backup
2015/16| Hiller| Ortio| Thiessen| Gillies|
2016/17| Ortio| Hiller| Gillies| Thiessen or UFA|
2017/18| Ortio| Hiller| Gillies| MacDonald|
2018/19| Ortio| Gillies | MacDonald| UFA|
2019/20| Ortio| Gillies| MacDonald| 2015/16 draft pick|
2020/21|Gillies |Ortio| MacDonald | 2015/16 draft pick|

Curious: if Ortio establishes himself as the starter for 4 years, why does he lose his starting job to Gillies in 2019, considering he'll still be in his prime years?

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Predicting NHL goalie tandems 5 years in advance is truly a fool's errand, especially when we're talking about 20yo kids. They could end up anything between Leland Irving and Carey Price and not even be in the organization by 2020. When is the last time any organization has had four homegrown young goalies occupying all the NHL and AHL roster spots?

Ortio is the only one of the youngster trio right now who we can be somewhat sure about getting significant NHL time in the next couple of years.

Here's some food for thought:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=151024

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Curious: if Ortio establishes himself as the starter for 4 years, why does he lose his starting job to Gillies in 2019, considering he'll still be in his prime years?
I don't think Ortio will ever be more than a 1a/b starter. But Gillies I think has star potential.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I don't think Ortio will ever be more than a 1a/b starter. But Gillies I think has star potential.

Hmm... I think Ortio has star potential too though. My guess is we sell Ortio when his value is very high and go with the younger option in Gillies. That, or I could see both splitting games 41/41.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Predicting NHL goalie tandems 5 years in advance is truly a fool's errand, especially when we're talking about 20yo kids. They could end up anything between Leland Irving and Carey Price and not even be in the organization by 2020. When is the last time any organization has had four homegrown young goalies occupying all the NHL and AHL roster spots?

Ortio is the only one of the youngster trio right now who we can be somewhat sure about getting significant NHL time in the next couple of years.

Here's some food for thought:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=151024

:handclap:

I certainly wouldn't be predicting anything big for Gillies just yet, he's certainly playing solid but let's see what he can do in the pros before crowning him the next Vezina winner. He says, hoping for the same hex that Gaudreau got...

We're not even 100% sure who the tandem will be next season, never mind in 5 years.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Mcdonald does not statistically look like a starting goalie. Though this is purely from a stat point since I haven't watched him.

Aug 3, 2010
Mcdonald does not statistically look like a starting goalie. Though this is purely from a stat point since I haven't watched him.

He was just named Rookie of the Week or Rookie Star of the Week something like that last week... he's young, he's developing, and playing the most developmentally difficult role when it comes to transitioning leagues.

Plenty of time. Just hope that we as fans don't have to moan about not getting Demko instead.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
He was just named Rookie of the Week or Rookie Star of the Week something like that last week... he's young, he's developing, and playing the most developmentally difficult role when it comes to transitioning leagues.

Plenty of time. Just hope that we as fans don't have to moan about not getting Demko instead.

Meh I don't think Demko is going to be a huge star nor am I worried.

MacDonald has actually worse stats this year than last year. Though he only played 16 games last year...still.....meh. Crapshoot really but if you're drafting a goalie early, you better hope hes a sure thing.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Instead of looking at his stats alone, try adding some context. Almost all QMJHL goaltenders have mediocre numbers at best.

His GAA is 6th in the Q
His SV% is 3rd in the Q
His wins are 6th in the Q
His minutes are 3rd in the Q
His totals saves is 3rd in the Q

Maybe with that context they are looking more like the numbers of a starting goaltender?

Also McDonald played 29 games last year, you are only looking at his numbers after he was traded.

BTW I knew the numbers in the Q were bad for goalies because I looked them up around the draft, but I was expecting him to be around 10th in each when I looked. It was a pleasant surprise to see him 6th and 3rd in every category except shutouts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Also Mason's team, the Charlottetown Islanders, aren't supposed to be a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination as far as I've heard, yet he's got them third in their division. :)

There are many positives to take from Mason McDonald so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad